The Student Room Group

Official: A-level and GCSE 2021 exams replaced with teacher assessed grades

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bluebeetle
This isn't necessarily true.

My school has said they are planning to go forward with the upcoming mocks regardless of what the government announcement is. Cancelling them so last minute would be disruptive to teachers' planning and would be frustrating for those who have already put a tremendous amount of time into organising the mocks. Besides, it never hurts to give students an accurate idea of how they are doing.

I just found an article from Tes Education regarding the Department for Education not saying a word about learning loss and skills for exam year students anymore,as two months have been lost in complete uncertainty about exams. Perhaps you may want to have a read through the article and find out why. Here is the link: https://www.tes.com/news/gcses-2021-silence-biggest-injustice-all
externally set assessments optionality-in detail 1.PNGI also just found the alternative arrangements of the alternative arrangements for the GCSE and A-Level exams in 2021.Hope this makes sense.It provides some more clarity in regards to what will most certainly happen next I guess
Original post by ektasmar
I just found an article from Tes Education regarding the Department for Education not saying a word about learning loss and skills for exam year students anymore,as two months have been lost in complete uncertainty about exams. Perhaps you may want to have a read through the article and find out why. Here is the link: https://www.tes.com/news/gcses-2021-silence-biggest-injustice-all

I really don't see how this article is relevant to me saying that mocks are likely to go forward?
I really don't see how this article is relevant to me saying that mocks are likely to go forward?

I am not speaking about mocks.And even if they do carry out mocks for schools which haven't already had them,let them do it.I have done mine so I am ok
Original post by hiiiii1
That's good that your school is gathering evidence! If we don't go back by March, then they'll have to delay them (at least my school will), because mocks are more accurate than class tests.

Yeah i guess we're having sciences when we go back but depends if we really ARE going .. good luck whatever happens :smile: !
Original post by dorBraindor
Don’t think any plans have changed, I was told I’m getting a chemistry test in March so I assume that my school is going forward with March mocks. Which is just terrifying tbh. Hopefully another round of mocks later or summer exams - I’d really like one of those options.

yeah same i have sciences paper 2's we've already done paper 1 in march. yeah its scary. i dont want more tests ngl its so stressing even online we do tests everyday in my school no learning just exam questions and tests . pain
externally set assessments optionality-in detail 1.PNGI also just found the alternative arrangements of the alternative arrangements for the GCSE and A-Level exams in 2021.Hope this makes sense.It provides some more clarity in regards to what will most certainly happen next I guess

Where is this from?

People have repeatedly asked you in this thread to not state things as facts when they aren't yet officially confirmed. The government has a habit of leaking ideas to the press to see how people will react. That way, they can pop in some idealistic ideas, and when they inevitably get shot down by teaching unions, the government can blame the unions and not their own ineptitude.
I am not speaking about mocks.And even if they do carry out mocks for schools which haven't already had them,let them do it.I have done mine so I am ok

Then why did you link this article in direct response to my comment about mocks?
Original post by theoneyoulove
Yeah i guess we're having sciences when we go back but depends if we really ARE going .. good luck whatever happens :smile: !

yeah same i have sciences paper 2's we've already done paper 1 in march. yeah its scary. i dont want more tests ngl its so stressing even online we do tests everyday in my school no learning just exam questions and tests . pain

That's what Ofqual might adress in around a week's time
Then why did you link this article in direct response to my comment about mocks?

Because it keeps the conversation in flow and I wanted for you specifically to have a read through it
Because it keeps the conversation in flow and I wanted for you specifically to have a read through it

Okay, what part of the article did you think would interest me in particular? I don't believe it contains any information that I wasn't already aware of...
Where is this from?

People have repeatedly asked you in this thread to not state things as facts when they aren't yet officially confirmed. The government has a habit of leaking ideas to the press to see how people will react. That way, they can pop in some idealistic ideas, and when they inevitably get shot down by teaching unions, the government can blame the unions and not their own ineptitude.

Firstly,it is from the Times,so no misleading information as it is not a fake news newspaper. Also,most people responded positively to that potential scenario,so it might happen after all
Don't feel bad, it's understandable that in times like this, you would find motivation challenging.

I find that what can often set people back is setting goals that are too big, because it discourages you from even making a start. It's better to set a very small goal of what you *must* do (e.g. "Tomorrow, I am definitely going to do the questions on this specific page of my maths revision workbook") and then mentally reward yourself for any additional stuff you get done (e.g. "And if I also get some English done, that'll be a bonus and I'll do XYZ to celebrate!")
Okay, what part of the article did you think would interest me in particular? I don't believe it contains any information that I wasn't already aware of...

The fact that Williamson changes his decisions frequently.For example,he went from adressing learning loss to finding a way how to satisfy parents,students and teachers
But please bear in mind that your school might change its plans when the guidance comes out.All these are condtional to what Ofqual and the Department for Education will say. I think schools will start focusing on getting ready summer exams for those who will want to do them

Yeah true, I was stressing about it a lot before but chances are, in some way or another, March isn’t my final shot at GCSEs, and that gives me comfort
Firstly,it is from the Times,so no misleading information as it is not a fake news newspaper. Also,most people responded positively to that potential scenario,so it might happen after all

Can you link the article? I can't find it.

Also, at this stage, nothing is definitely confirmed and things may still change. Personally, I can't imagine this one-to-one meetings thing working out. If I have to lose lesson time in order to do all those meetings, we're only going to miss out on more learning...
The fact that Williamson changes his decisions frequently.For example,he went from adressing learning loss to finding a way how to satisfy parents,students and teachers

I'm not saying he doesn't change his decisions frequently?

Wait, where is this from?
Argh same... I feel the pain
Can you link the article? I can't find it.

Also, at this stage, nothing is definitely confirmed and things may still change. Personally, I can't imagine this one-to-one meetings thing working out. If I have to lose lesson time in order to do all those meetings, we're only going to miss out on more learning...

Also this might be the case that it substitutes learning for Year 11 and Year 13 students whilst Year 10s and Year 12s are getting prepared for next years exams,which is not a bad thing,as it is still keeps you engaged with your education in one way or another. Also,here is the link for the article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/back-to-school-on-march-8-as-johnson-starts-lifting-lockdown-0v5zbz5bt
Also this might be the case that it substitutes learning for Year 11 and Year 13 students whilst Year 10s and Year 12s are getting prepared for next years exams,which is not a bad thing,as it is still keeps you engaged with your education in one way or another. Also,here is the link for the article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/back-to-school-on-march-8-as-johnson-starts-lifting-lockdown-0v5zbz5bt

That seems very unfair to Y11 and Y13. I don't want to stop teaching my Y11, some of them want to do maths A-level, they still have more GCSE content they need to learn before then. I think the best way to stay engaged in education is to continue learning, not having weird little meetings to negotiate your grade.

Could you possibly post the full text of the article? It's behind a paywall, so I can't find the bit you're referring to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending