The Student Room Group

York/Leeds/Sheffield

Hey everyone! Hope you're keeping well.

4 out of 5 of the universities have offered me a place now! I'm only waiting to hear back from Manchester Metropolitan. I've heard back from Uo Salford, York St John, Leeds Beckett and Sheffield Hallam. Exciting!

Manchester and Salford are pretty local to me (I'll still be moving out) so I already know what the areas are like, but any word from current or former students and your experience will be helpful!

Students of York, Sheffield or Leeds, what is/was your experience like? In terms of the area in general, the nightlife (if you've even experienced it so far), accommodation, the people, and the general feel and quality of the university itself.

I'm going to be studying biomedical science so hit me up if you will be too at any of these unis!

Thanks, much love x
Reply 1
Hey I'm a 4th year biomed student at sheffield Uni. I have loved my time in sheffield and will be super sad to move away. It's a really lovely city. The centre itself doesn't feel huge like london or manchester, but it everything you need for sure. Theres loads of really nice parks and everyone is friendly, and there are loads of other bars and studenty clubs in the centre. Obviously i'm not too familiar with Hallam, but its really close to the train station, and then the collegiate campus is near Eccelsall road, both really nice areas. There are lost of really up and coming areas of sheffield with independent shops/bars/cafes like Kelham island, Eccelsall road, and division street. The music scene is good, with places like the O2 arena, yellow arches and the Leadmill. And I would highly recommend going to varsity events if you ever get the chance, its said Sheffield's varsity is one of the most competitive and the Ice hockey 1's final is apparently the biggest ice hockey match in europe with how many people go to it. One of the things I love most about sheffield too is how close to the peaks we are, its like a 15 min drive or half hour bus and the views are incredible.

Feel free to ask any other questions! I'm sure if you pick sheffield you'll love it!
Reply 2
Original post by Embz1234
Hey I'm a 4th year biomed student at sheffield Uni. I have loved my time in sheffield and will be super sad to move away. It's a really lovely city. The centre itself doesn't feel huge like london or manchester, but it everything you need for sure. Theres loads of really nice parks and everyone is friendly, and there are loads of other bars and studenty clubs in the centre. Obviously i'm not too familiar with Hallam, but its really close to the train station, and then the collegiate campus is near Eccelsall road, both really nice areas. There are lost of really up and coming areas of sheffield with independent shops/bars/cafes like Kelham island, Eccelsall road, and division street. The music scene is good, with places like the O2 arena, yellow arches and the Leadmill. And I would highly recommend going to varsity events if you ever get the chance, its said Sheffield's varsity is one of the most competitive and the Ice hockey 1's final is apparently the biggest ice hockey match in europe with how many people go to it. One of the things I love most about sheffield too is how close to the peaks we are, its like a 15 min drive or half hour bus and the views are incredible.

Feel free to ask any other questions! I'm sure if you pick sheffield you'll love it!

Oh wow thank you!

Honestly, out of the five I’ve chosen, I’m most drawn to Sheffield. I don’t really know why; perhaps it’s because they’ve been the most interactive and reached out to me the most so far. And I’ve heard really good things about Hallam. And I know the music scene is great (a lot of my fave bands are from Sheffield) and the nightlife is supposed to be pretty good.

Thanks so much!
Original post by bellag0ff
Oh wow thank you!

Honestly, out of the five I’ve chosen, I’m most drawn to Sheffield. I don’t really know why; perhaps it’s because they’ve been the most interactive and reached out to me the most so far. And I’ve heard really good things about Hallam. And I know the music scene is great (a lot of my fave bands are from Sheffield) and the nightlife is supposed to be pretty good.

Thanks so much!

Hey!

Another Uni Of student here but just wanted to give my opinion on the city. I picked Sheffield as it really did feel so homely. The locals are so friendly and the city feels really safe even walking around at night etc. Sheffield also has loads of parks which are lovely to walk to as a break from studying. West Street is the main area for nightlife as that's where the majority of the clubs and bars are but you also have Leadmill which is nearer the station and Hallam. The nightlife is so fun, and very cheap (£20-30ish I'd say for a decent night out including tickets and drinks).

Do let me know if you have any other questions about Sheffield!

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus
Original post by Embz1234

I applied for biomedical this year I am just waiting to hear from Sheffield. could you please tell me how was ur experience there? Because I am undecided between york and Sheffield for biomed
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey!

Another Uni Of student here but just wanted to give my opinion on the city. I picked Sheffield as it really did feel so homely. The locals are so friendly and the city feels really safe even walking around at night etc. Sheffield also has loads of parks which are lovely to walk to as a break from studying. West Street is the main area for nightlife as that's where the majority of the clubs and bars are but you also have Leadmill which is nearer the station and Hallam. The nightlife is so fun, and very cheap (£20-30ish I'd say for a decent night out including tickets and drinks).

Do let me know if you have any other questions about Sheffield!

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus

Does biomedical in university of sheffield has any accreditation? like, by the royal of biology or IBMS?
Reply 6
Oh wow thank you!

Thanks so much!

No problem! I'm sure you'll love it if you decide to go, well done on the rest of your offers too!
Original post by Anonymous
Does biomedical in university of sheffield has any accreditation? like, by the royal of biology or IBMS?

Hi there!

I have passed on your query to one of my fellow reps who studies Biology so they should be able to answer your question. In the meantime, here is the Biomed page from the University website which tells you about the course, entry requirements and the statistics and rankings for the University and the Biomed course in general: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2021/biomedical-science-bsc

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus

Hi! I do Biomed at sheffield and no, their degree isn't accredited by IBMS. You'll find that most russell group uni's don't accredit their degrees. Its because they can fill the course with what they want , and teach skills more specific to research rather than spending lots of time teaching students how to do testing associated with working for the NHS. My theory is its because they want their students going into academia rather than work for the NHS, because it 'looks better for the university'.
Hi! I do Biomed at sheffield and no, their degree isn't accredited by IBMS. You'll find that most russell group uni's don't accredit their degrees. Its because they can fill the course with what they want , and teach skills more specific to research rather than spending lots of time teaching students how to do testing associated with working for the NHS. My theory is its because they want their students going into academia rather than work for the NHS, because it 'looks better for the university'.

Hey! I’ll be studying biomed at sheff this September do you have any tips ? Also do you know anyone or have you yourself taken the study abroad option ? Thanks in advance

4 out of 5 of the universities have offered me a place now! I'm only waiting to hear back from Manchester Metropolitan. I've heard back from Uo Salford, York St John, Leeds Beckett and Sheffield Hallam. Exciting!

Manchester and Salford are pretty local to me (I'll still be moving out) so I already know what the areas are like, but any word from current or former students and your experience will be helpful!

Students of York, Sheffield or Leeds, what is/was your experience like? In terms of the area in general, the nightlife (if you've even experienced it so far), accommodation, the people, and the general feel and quality of the university itself.

I'm going to be studying biomedical science so hit me up if you will be too at any of these unis!

Thanks, much love x

Hello!

It is great to hear that you have an offer with YSJ. We are a wonderful community and the uni treats as people and not just a number. This is why I chose to study here as I felt like they wanted me, I wasn't just fighting for a place. Places on my course are limited and so it can be competitive, YSJ was a real breath of fresh air and I felt so welcome from the beginning.

York is a beautiful city, it has both culture and history as well as great nightlife and a buzzing city centre. The nightlife offers cheap drinks and bars with an atmosphere for every different taste. We have bars as well as night clubs but I think my personal favourite student night has to be Pound a Pint.

We have lots of different accomodation options to suit every list of priorities and the uni guarantees acommodation for every first year. They vary from modern en suites in the city centre to shared bathroom flats with an emphasis on communal spaces. We even have university managed housing which allows you to live with freshers in a private house to make the intergration to student life a little easier.

At YSJ, we are in the middle of the city so it is really easy to nip into town between lectures but we also have a lot of green spaces and food outlets on campus. Everything is in one place and you usually have a mutual friend with someone so it is really easy to become a part of the community. I am going into my third year and I am still making friends which just makes circles wider and makes me so happy to be here.

We are running campus tours every day and we would love to have you so that you can get a feel for the campus and the atmosphere that makes YSJ so special. I conduct tours myself and the feedback from applicants is always that they can picture themselves on campus and it makes the decision so much easier. You can check that out here: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/open-days/campus-tours/.

I hope this helps, and whilst I am completely bias to YSJ, I am sure you will be really happy wherever you choose!

Lydia :smile:

Thanks, much love x

Morning @bellag0ff

Great to hear you have had an 4 offers including Salford.....and I don't need to tell you about how fantastic and diverse the nightlife is in Manchester as it sounds like you have experienced it already. The only thing I would say is don't take how fantastic it is for granted, other cities are likely to be smaller, however that may suit you.

My own daughter is starting Uni this year and had decided to stay local studying and living close to Manchester city centre cause she loves all that's on offer but she also wants to maintain regular contact and support with the rest of the family. Just thought I would offer the alternative slant to moving away from Manchester.

If you do want to consider Salford try contacting our current students here to get a first hand account on studying in your field.

Good luck - whatever you decide.

Clare
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending