The Student Room Group

PGCE - advice/suggestions for these places?

So I have passed all 3 of my interviews and offered places for:

UWE
Bath Spa
University of Worcester

in PGCE primary.

Originally, I was leaning toward UWE as I would like to live in Bristol.

But I think Worcester has the best reputation.

Does anyone have any advice or view on which of these is the best?

Thank you!

Ewok

Scroll to see replies

No school cares about your PGCE provider. You should choose the institution closest to where you may wish to eventually work as you could be offered a position in your placement school or be recommended to a colleague in a neighbouring school.
Original post by ewok666
So I have passed all 3 of my interviews and offered places for:

UWE
Bath Spa
University of Worcester

in PGCE primary.

Originally, I was leaning toward UWE as I would like to live in Bristol.

But I think Worcester has the best reputation.

Does anyone have any advice or view on which of these is the best?

Thank you!

Ewok

Well done on passing all your interviews :smile:

See for you bath spa interview, see for your micro teaching activity did you just do anything I’m so confused on what to do, also with regards to the literature Review bit do we tell them about one we found or do they provide you with one?
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
No school cares about your PGCE provider. You should choose the institution closest to where you may wish to eventually work as you could be offered a position in your placement school or be recommended to a colleague in a neighbouring school.

Right but don't they usually have lots of partner schools in different parts of the UK?
Reply 4
Original post by Rachelmac95
Well done on passing all your interviews :smile:

See for you bath spa interview, see for your micro teaching activity did you just do anything I’m so confused on what to do, also with regards to the literature Review bit do we tell them about one we found or do they provide you with one?

You have to say what you would do if you were teaching, you don't have to actually teach.

And yeah, you have to find an article about teaching.
Original post by ewok666
Right but don't they usually have lots of partner schools in different parts of the UK?

No, only in their locality.
Original post by ewok666
You have to say what you would do if you were teaching, you don't have to actually teach.

And yeah, you have to find an article about teaching.

Thanks, also see the way they said in the interview guidance they sent prior to the interview, see the bit about assess your intellectual, academic and teaching capabilities in the interview activities is this just the questions or is this like maths etc kind of questions. I am so nervous for this interview :frown:
Original post by ewok666

No. Partner schools are local to the uni, as tutors need to be able to visit them.

Reputation of the uni really doesn't matter in terms of the PGCE. So you should choose the uni you like the best and in the area where you most want to live.
Reply 8
Original post by SarcAndSpark
No. Partner schools are local to the uni, as tutors need to be able to visit them.

Reputation of the uni really doesn't matter in terms of the PGCE. So you should choose the uni you like the best and in the area where you most want to live.

Right, well when I talk about 'reputation' I mostly mean of the course itself eg - it is well run and efficient with good tutors etc...

To be honest, in the interview UWE was a bit all over the place. They had loads of tech problems and was pretty confusing as they split it into 3 parts in different rooms across several hours.

But I'm not sure if I should judge them based on this. But the other ones defo had a smoother and more organized interview process.

I understand wherever I go, the chances of me enjoying the course will be the luck of the draw of the mentor, the school I am placed in, the year I am teaching - and there is no way to avoid that.
Original post by ewok666
Right, well when I talk about 'reputation' I mostly mean of the course itself eg - it is well run and efficient with good tutors etc...

To be honest, in the interview UWE was a bit all over the place. They had loads of tech problems and was pretty confusing as they split it into 3 parts in different rooms across several hours.

But I'm not sure if I should judge them based on this. But the other ones defo had a smoother and more organized interview process.

I understand wherever I go, the chances of me enjoying the course will be the luck of the draw of the mentor, the school I am placed in, the year I am teaching - and there is no way to avoid that.

That experience would put me off UWE a bit too- you do want an organised and supportive uni. I do think the vibe you get from the uni is important.

But equally, you don't want to be living somewhere you don't like for a year.
what topic did you do for the micro teach thing? I have no idea what I'm doing
I have applied to those universities for PGCE primary as well! I think they are all great places. I think you should go with where you would like to end up living really.
Original post by Dan Knight
what topic did you do for the micro teach thing? I have no idea what I'm doing

Im the same, I’ve mine on Wednesday for bath spa.
Original post by Tishaitsallgood
I have applied to those universities for PGCE primary as well! I think they are all great places. I think you should go with where you would like to end up living really.

Have you had any interviews or offers yet?
Have you had any interviews or offers yet?

No not yet. But I have only recently sent it off. So fingers crossed!
No not yet. But I have only recently sent it off. So fingers crossed!

I have my interview for bath spa on Wednesday bit nervous for it, trying to think of a mini teach activity thing.
I have my interview for bath spa on Wednesday bit nervous for it, trying to think of a mini teach activity thing.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Did they give any guidance about what to do for it?
Reply 17

Do you have a preference?

I am struggling to make my decision (deadline to decide for me is next week)

Bristol looks like a fun city but I live closer to Worcester now and have a feeling the course might be run a bit more efficiently there.
Original post by ewok666
Do you have a preference?

I am struggling to make my decision (deadline to decide for me is next week)

Bristol looks like a fun city but I live closer to Worcester now and have a feeling the course might be run a bit more efficiently there.

Personally I am favouring UWE because I like Bristol as a place to live. But you do have to consider you will be studying with them for a year. So if you prefer the course at Worcester then maybe go there?
Reply 19
Personally I am favouring UWE because I like Bristol as a place to live. But you do have to consider you will be studying with them for a year. So if you prefer the course at Worcester then maybe go there?

Yeah I like Bristol too lol. Actually, that has been the frontrunner for some time. Just I'm hesitating now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending