The Student Room Group

Official Canada 2021 University applicant thread

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University in Canada for 2021!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What courses/Universities are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I'm not applying to Uni in Canada, I already go to the University of Aberdeen, but I am thinking of doing my year abroad in Canada. Is there anywhere in particular that you are thinking of going?
hey, is anyone applying to any Canadian universities to study Arts&Sciences degree? do you know when the deadlines are and how it all works? I only recently thought of applying to Canada and I don't know if it's not too late :/
Reply 3
Original post by VanillaCream
hey, is anyone applying to any Canadian universities to study Arts&Sciences degree? do you know when the deadlines are and how it all works? I only recently thought of applying to Canada and I don't know if it's not too late :/

im sorry for the very lae response but i think the deadline was 15th Jan for UOFT and UBC. i only about those as i only applied to those universitiesss
Hello seems like this thread is usually inactive.

Anyway in the canada, I applied U of Toronto, UBC, McGill.
I applied U of Toronto St George and Scarborough in Novemeber. Scarborough offered me in Decemeber and StGeorge offered me last week. Both with 7500 scholarships.
I applied UBC really really late. So I expect to be offered late too.
I applied McGill in November and still have not heard back.

I have
A Level maths 100% A*
A Level further maths 100% A*
A Level physics 97% A*
AS Chemistry 92% A
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hello seems like this thread is usually inactive.

Anyway in the canada, I applied U of Toronto, UBC, McGill.
I applied U of Toronto St George and Scarborough in Novemeber. Scarborough offered me in Decemeber and StGeorge offered me last week. Both with 7500 scholarships.
I applied UBC really really late. So I expect to be offered late too.
I applied McGill in November and still have not heard back.

I have
A Level maths 100% A*
A Level further maths 100% A*
A Level physics 97% A*
AS Chemistry 92% A

Wouah your stats are amazing ! Congrats on your offers, really well deserved ! What did you apply for at UofT and Mcgill ?
Need some advice, I am an IB student.

I have received offers from UBCO in 1st week of Feb for applied science but yet to hear from UBCV. I actually want to go to UBCV & not UBCO (My 2nd choice).

Does anyone know if UBC V offers have been out, especially for applied science?
Original post by Sradhadash
Need some advice, I am an IB student.

I have received offers from UBCO in 1st week of Feb for applied science but yet to hear from UBCV. I actually want to go to UBCV & not UBCO (My 2nd choice).

Does anyone know if UBC V offers have been out, especially for applied science?

Hello. There is some confusion here.
UBC does not give out offers for both of them. They only offer one of them. UBC asks you to rank the choices (for example first choice and second choice).
They will initially consider for your first choice. If they decide to offer you your first choice, than they will no longer look at your second choice. If they decide not to offer you your first choice, than they will consider your second choice.
You can confirm this somewhere in the portals.

The same applies for McGill.

Toronto is different. They consider all choices simultaneously, and one can get multiple offers at different campuses.
Original post by thess.b
Wouah your stats are amazing ! Congrats on your offers, really well deserved ! What did you apply for at UofT and Mcgill ?

UofT Scarborough - Applied Mathematics

UofT StGeorge - engineering.
they ask students to choose 4 branches and rank them in order of preference. 1. Eng Sci, 2. Mech Eng, 3. Industril eng, 4. civil eng. I got offer for Eng Sci.

McGill
1st choice - Mech eng
2nd choice - civil eng

Ubc
1st choice - applied maths at vancouver
2nd choice - mech eng at okanagan

How about you?
Reply 9
UofT Scarborough - Applied Mathematics

UofT StGeorge - engineering.
they ask students to choose 4 branches and rank them in order of preference. 1. Eng Sci, 2. Mech Eng, 3. Industril eng, 4. civil eng. I got offer for Eng Sci.

McGill
1st choice - Mech eng
2nd choice - civil eng

Ubc
1st choice - applied maths at vancouver
2nd choice - mech eng at okanagan

How about you?

Mcgill
1st choice - Biochemistry
2nd choice - Bioengineering

UofT
1st choice - Neuroscience at St George
2nd choice - Biochemistry at U of T Scarborough

and I also applied to the University of Ottawa :
1st choice - Biochemistry
2nd choice - Biomedical Mechanical Engineering

I haven’t heard back from any of them yet, but I’m still hopeful !
Wish you all the best !!
Hello. There is some confusion here.
UBC does not give out offers for both of them. They only offer one of them. UBC asks you to rank the choices (for example first choice and second choice).
They will initially consider for your first choice. If they decide to offer you your first choice, than they will no longer look at your second choice. If they decide not to offer you your first choice, than they will consider your second choice.
You can confirm this somewhere in the portals.

The same applies for McGill.

Toronto is different. They consider all choices simultaneously, and one can get multiple offers at different campuses.

Actually my offer letter does say that my first choice is still under consideration & I need to check student portal for update on my application , so my question
Actually my offer letter does say that my first choice is still under consideration & I need to check student portal for update on my application , so my question

Okay. This kinda contradict what is written in the applicant form. The applicant form says different.
Anyway, when did u apply ubc to get this early?
I applied late dec and still have not heard back.
Okay. This kinda contradict what is written in the applicant form. The applicant form says different.
Anyway, when did u apply ubc to get this early?
I applied late dec and still have not heard back.

I actually applied in Jan mid just before deadline
I actually applied in Jan mid just before deadline

Damn it means you were super fast.
May I know your qualifications?
hi i'm new to the thread!
i applied to uoft (utsc mib, utsg social sciences, utm commerce) and mcgill (arts, commerce) in november. so far i've gotten offers for uoft social science and utm commerce (with scholarship), and did my mib interview about a month ago (still waiting for results).
does anyone know when i can expect to hear from utsc regarding their decision? the interviewers told me they'd be giving me a response in late january / early february but i still haven't heard back from them.
also, has anyone heard back from mcgill for b com or b arts? the applicant portal isn't that user friendly so i'm worried i left out some details in my application...
(edited 3 years ago)
I did my undergrad at UBC’s Okanagan campus so many I can clear this up a bit. Officially, the university assess you for your first choice and checks your second choice if unsuccessful. However, UBC is the master of unofficial and frequently assess both concurrently (especially if both campuses are involved). There is a current push to raise the academic reputation of the Okanagan campus by staggering acceptances, and offering competitive scholarships. If they want you for a program, it’s not as rare as you’d think to have your second choice offer a spot before your first choice. What I can also say is that the UBC applied science program in Vancouver is incredibly competitive. The quality of education in the Okanagan is on par (though the degrees at each campus are technically different (despite what the university recruiters like to claim)) but it’s not in the city which is a draw back for some. Can answer questions if there any any.
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks, @WhyJustRun?, this explains why I got an Okanagan offer in 10 days of applying, my preferred need stream of Applied science is not in Okanagancampus so let me wait for the Vancouver campus.

When you said Vancouver is competitive, which league you will put it as they do not have a min grade requirement for IB international, what was the stats for your batch?

I am in IB & an international student
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
That's cool.

Does anybody know if I could apply with as a graduate to Canada?

And when is their deadline for meds school applications?
Original post by Presh18
That's cool.

Does anybody know if I could apply with as a graduate to Canada?

I would like to help but I believe everyone in this thread is an undergraduate applicant. Moreover, I imagine all of us have precious little knowledge about postgraduate applications.
Original post by Presh18

Med school applications are relatively early. Late September to early October. But I’ll warn that of the 17 med schools, only a portion take international students and generally the admission requirements are higher for international students and those from outside the province the med school is in. Admission rates are low to begin with and the University of Calgary has admitted that the admission process could be random and it wouldn’t affect the quality of their incoming class.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply