UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Ask a UAL Student Ambassador

Scroll to see replies

Original post by faesage
Hi!
Which halls would you reccomend for someone studying at CSM?

Hey @faesage,

Great to hear you're interested in CSM, what course are you looking to study?

Lots of CSM students tend to opt for Sketch House as it is close to the Kings Cross campus, just 2 stops on the overground and less than 30 minutes on the bus.

However students do end up in other halls that are all across London, the nice thing about University of the Arts London is whichever hall you end up at you'll always be with other creative students.

There are also privately owned halls if you're not interested in the UAL ones.

I stayed in Sketch House for my foundation at CSM and also had friends who stayed in Emily Bowes so please do not hesitate to ask if you have any specific questions.

Kindest,

Tegan :smile:
UAL Student Rep
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Hi @dangerousrickyd,

Good luck with your applications to LCF and CSM.

Most students in first year tend to opt for UAL halls of residence, you can check these out here. Courdwainers Court and Furzedown Student Village are two of the cheaper options.

However if you want to look at private halls or shared houses then I recommend checking out the University of London's House Hunt service here.

One thing I find really helpful for budgeting when living in, a more expensive city like, London is having a Monzo bank account, this way I can really track where I'm spending my money.

I hope that helps and please do not hesitate to ask anymore questions.

Kindest,

UAL Student Rep
hey, im transferring to 2nd year Fine Art at CSM & just wanted to know whether it will be easy to integrate myself into the course & meet new people. slightly scared peers will have already made their groups & ill be abit of an outsider!
Hi!

I have a question for Zoe (though anyone else can feel free to chime in): I have received an interview request for MA Arts and Lifestyle Journalism at LCC. I was wondering if you are able to offer any advice on how to prepare for the interview and what kinds of questions to ask? I am a bit nervous, as my background is in Film and Media Studies, so this will be my first time exploring my hobbies of writing and design in an academic capacity.

Thank you in advance! :smile:
Hi, I have an interview for interior design in Chelsea, super nervous any advice?
Hey, I applied to do fashion and textiles foundation at CSM. When do the interviews start?
Original post by Jusstinspace
Hey, I applied to do fashion and textiles foundation at CSM. When do the interviews start?

I reckon it’ll be after April since that’s the portfolio deadline ?
Original post by xmpj.Tx
I reckon it’ll be after April since that’s the portfolio deadline ?

that's what I'm thinking too! it's so nerve-racking.
Original post by University of the Arts London
Hello and welcome to our Ask a UAL Student Ambassador thread!

Whether you’ve received a place, already applied, or are thinking about applying to UAL, post any questions you have here and our Student Ambassadors will do their best to answer :biggrin:

A little intro to our Ambassador currently running this thread:

Name: Tegan
Course: BA Fashion History and Theory, Central Saint Martins

Hello, my name is Tegan and I am a second-year Fashion History and Theory Student at Central Saint Martins (CSM). I moved to London last year to study my art foundation at CSM, moving to London has always been a dream of mine and it hasn't disappointed! There are so many opportunities for you at University, regardless of where you are. One of my favourite things about UAL is how it is made up of 6 different colleges, this means you get to meet people doing a diverse range of courses and you also are given access to all the libraries.

I am here to help if you have any questions 🙂

Hi! i got accepted to, Leeds, CSM, Slade, Newcastle, GSA but I am having a really hard time making a choice.

I got into the Fine arts and history of art bachelor at leeds, I have read about their program and I think it is really interesting to study art but also have the possibility of having a real campus uni experience. also it is cheaper than London. However I am worried that the facilities may not be that good for art, or that the professors may not be as good as other unis, anyone that knows about this would be of great help!
Hi,

I got accepted to LCC for BA Animation and I wanted to know what it's like studying at LCC and how will the timetables operate this year?

Would love to hear a reply soon!
Original post by lolita1234
Hi! i got accepted to, Leeds, CSM, Slade, Newcastle, GSA but I am having a really hard time making a choice.

I got into the Fine arts and history of art bachelor at leeds, I have read about their program and I think it is really interesting to study art but also have the possibility of having a real campus uni experience. also it is cheaper than London. However I am worried that the facilities may not be that good for art, or that the professors may not be as good as other unis, anyone that knows about this would be of great help!

Hey @lolita1234,

Congratulations for getting offers at all these universities!!

As a student at CSM I thought I'd chime in and give you a bit of insight into my experience of studying in London (pre-pandemic!). As you have said living costs in London are higher than in other parts of the UK but the amount of student loan you are entitled to is reflective of this. One of my favourite things about studying in London are all the events, exhibitions, workshop etc. available to you often for free or an insignificant cost, this keeps me constantly stimulated and helps enrich my creative practice. CSM although not a campus university is part of UAL giving you access to libraries and events across all the colleges all over London. I find this great for meeting likeminded creatives and going to talks by a variety of lecturers/alumni.

At the end of the day it is about choosing which course you feel will be most suited to you and that you will get the most from.

Good luck with your decision making and please do not hesitate to ask if you have any specific questions about CSM, studying in London or accommodation.

All the best,

UAL Student Rep
Original post by Pastelblue1
Hi,

I got accepted to LCC for BA Animation and I wanted to know what it's like studying at LCC and how will the timetables operate this year?

Would love to hear a reply soon!

Hi @Pastelblue1,

Congratulations on getting a place at LCC!

If you haven't already I recommend you check out the BA Animation course page linked here. If you scroll to the bottom you can read 'Course Stories' and look at current and past students work.

I can only speak of what I know as a current student at CSM but I think the way the timetables will run is very dependant on the national lockdown rules and government guidelines rather than university policy.

The term just gone (spring term) was held solely online with the libraries and buildings opening up for students to attend once restrictions eased. We begin summer term next week and will be transitioning to 'blended' learning: depending on what course you are on students will be having 1-2 taught days a week on campus.

We can only hope that by the start of next academic year things will be back to normal.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch if you have any specific questions.

Kindest,

UAL Student Rep
Original post by tiabotros
Hi, I have an interview for interior design in Chelsea, super nervous any advice?

Hi @tiabotros,

My biggest advice to you is to be yourself and to include your strongest piece of work which that you can talk about during the interview.

I would also recommend that you look at the UAL interview page on our website which I have attached here. https://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/apply/after-you-apply/interview-tips

Best of luck,
Thanseela
Original post by kadygarrett
hey, im transferring to 2nd year Fine Art at CSM & just wanted to know whether it will be easy to integrate myself into the course & meet new people. slightly scared peers will have already made their groups & ill be abit of an outsider!

Hi @kadygarrett,

You are not alone in feeling this way. As most of us have felt this way going into the different stages of our university life. But my advice to you would be to be yourself and you will naturally gravitate to the right group of peers within your course.

I hope this advice will be useful to you.

Best of luck,
Thanseela
I applied for graphic and media design at London College of Communication and was asked to submit my portfolio in March. I still haven't heard back from them. Should I be worried?
Original post by Anonymous
I applied for graphic and media design at London College of Communication and was asked to submit my portfolio in March. I still haven't heard back from them. Should I be worried?

Hey,

Absolutely not! Due to the pandemic, the application process has been slightly slower this year and courses are taking some time to get back to students. So you need not worry at all but I understand where you are coming from and would suggest reaching out to the course asking for an update or timeframe on receiving the decision.

Hope this helps!
Good Luck :smile:
Ananya

Hi,

The application process this year has been slow due to the pandemic so don't worry most students have found themselves in a similar position. You can get in touch with admissions at Ual if you want an update about your application.

Best of Luck,
Ananya
Ual Student Rep

hey! i'm still waiting on a reply for the course i applied to. i already emailed them and all they said was that application process is slower due to the amount of applications received. hang in there! i also can't help myself but worry
Hi there ,
I was just wondering with the CSM foundation, how many people are on the Fashion and Textiles pathway roughy ? Or how many get accepted ? Thank you !
Hi there ,
I was just wondering with the CSM foundation, how many people are on the Fashion and Textiles pathway roughy ? Or how many get accepted ? Thank you !

Hi there,

I unfortunately cannot give a definitive answer to this as the course sizes and acceptance rate vary each year.
However please do not allow CSM's competitive reputation put you off going for the pathway you want.
Good luck with your application.

Kindest,

UAL Student Rep

Quick Reply