anon50512
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
having to start work on a short composition project for music gcse. anyone have any good ideas for a longish (24 bars maybe?), complex and unusual minor chord progression? i’d like it to sound mysterious and sombre. i’ve been sat at the piano all day but i’m rather stuck, having some composers block! any thoughts?
16omarshall
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Have you decided what structure you want to use? When I don't know where to start, I just pick a form, e.g ternary and a tonic key, then go from there. I'm currently working on a piece in G minor, but I've only just finished the 1st subject. To be unusual, you could just modulate to a different minor key, rather than the relative major or have a more legato or slow major melody, which still sounds sad (like how the music from Up is really sad even though I think it's in a major key).
To make it sound mysterious, you could start with a simple melodic idea, which you could contiune to develop (maybe have some light use of ornamentation, like mordents) in the first part (don't know how many instruments you're writing for or if it's just the piano?), then introduce the first melodic idea in the second part (e,g in the LH piano) and develop it, but take the melody somewhere else to end up with a kind of conrtapuntal texture . Or you could just play with building up the texture slowly.

Alternatively, you could do a groundbass composition as having a strong bassline to build on and tie the music together is a really good way to get started if you're stuck.

Just some idea, hope it helps.
anon50512
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
thank you, that’s really helpful! yup i’m writing a romantic ternary form piece, i’m just really lacking inspiration as to what key and how to develop it.
16omarshall
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by anon50512)
thank you, that’s really helpful! yup i’m writing a romantic ternary form piece, i’m just really lacking inspiration as to what key and how to develop it.
Glad I could help! If you're really stuck on how to develop it, you could have the accompaniament just playing atonic pedal, then build it up by changing the rhythms or making it more complex, then you could move to a domiant pedal or something at some point to make it sound more unsettled in the second section. Have a listen to some romantic composers like Brahms and Mendelssohn.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.06%
No (188)
70.94%

Watched Threads