The Student Room Group

Regretting my choice of degree after sending off application

So i applied to do adult nursing and have had offers from 2/3 so far. I’ve also realised that i don’t think i want to do this course anymore and i want to do primary education instead. Is there any way i can change this because i really don’t want to be stuck in a course that i’m not sure i want to do anymore, especially one like nursing. I’m happy with my uni choices so it would only be a switch in courses. Thanks :smile:
Original post by holly1602
So i applied to do adult nursing and have had offers from 2/3 so far. I’ve also realised that i don’t think i want to do this course anymore and i want to do primary education instead. Is there any way i can change this because i really don’t want to be stuck in a course that i’m not sure i want to do anymore, especially one like nursing. I’m happy with my uni choices so it would only be a switch in courses. Thanks :smile:

Provided you don’t want to change unis as well, you can email the uni’s admission department to ask to swap to another course. If they agree to it, they’ll update ucas
Reply 2
Before you switch, i would advise finding 5 or 6 people who are already 'credentialed' in both fields, [use the national organisations for this - ask them for contact information for their members who would be willing to discuss their careers with you, as you are considering joining their profession. Make up a list of questions to ask them, such as: "How much do you make, what other careers did you consider when you were entering uni, where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, 10 yrs, if you were to change careers, what would you change to. When you ask about salary, consider 'average' salary, NOT maximum. Most practitioners do NOT make the maximum. Best of luck!!
Primary Education isnt offered everywhere. You could act as already advised if somewhere has both courses. If not you can decline your offers and apply through extra and clearing to a university accepting applications. The other option would be to take a gap year and reapply next year.
Reply 4
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
Provided you don’t want to change unis as well, you can email the uni’s admission department to ask to swap to another course. If they agree to it, they’ll update ucas

Okay thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Primary Education isnt offered everywhere. You could act as already advised if somewhere has both courses. If not you can decline your offers and apply through extra and clearing to a university accepting applications. The other option would be to take a gap year and reapply next year.

What would i do about my personal statement do you know? because obviously it’s very much based around nursing. And i’m really trying to avoid deferring a year as i have already retaken year 12 lol
Reply 6
Original post by Rabbit2
Before you switch, i would advise finding 5 or 6 people who are already 'credentialed' in both fields, [use the national organisations for this - ask them for contact information for their members who would be willing to discuss their careers with you, as you are considering joining their profession. Make up a list of questions to ask them, such as: "How much do you make, what other careers did you consider when you were entering uni, where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, 10 yrs, if you were to change careers, what would you change to. When you ask about salary, consider 'average' salary, NOT maximum. Most practitioners do NOT make the maximum. Best of luck!!

Thank you very much!
What would i do about my personal statement do you know? because obviously it’s very much based around nursing. And i’m really trying to avoid deferring a year as i have already retaken year 12 lol

You could ask the university you are applying to whether they will accept a new PS as you are applying for a new course. Note you can only apply 1 university at a time through extra. If rejected you can apply elsewhere. It will depend on whether the university has available places. Perhaps try ringing the university you intend applying to and discuss it with them,
Reply 8
Thank you very much!

Consider the questions you are asking. The way you "phrase" a question can affect the reply. I would recommend recording the answers (presuming that the subject does not object. The reason is, take a response of: "No, i don't think that is the case".... In print, this seems innocuous. Now consider the effect in speech: 1> "No, I don't think that is the case"... emphasis on the "I". The implication is that someone else might think that it WAS the case. 2> "No, i don't THINK that is the case" ... emphasis on the "THINK" [I don't think it is the case, ... but it might be]. 3> "No, i don't think THAT is the case"... emphasis on the "THAT" ... [I don't think THAT is the case, but something else might be...

Your interviewee may be trying to tell you something subtle, perhaps without "calling a spade a Fu***** spade". I used to date a 'shrink' [psychologist]. She used to videotape her clients during her interview. My friend told me that a surprising amount could be deduced by observing their body language, in conjunction with their verbal statements. She said that she could detect when her clients were lying to her lots of time by their body language. They would deny that they were in an abusive relationship, when they actually were.

Best of luck!!!
Primary Education is one of the most competitive degrees out there. Definitely investigate both options for swapping course at your existing 5 choices and any universities that still have vacancies available on UCAS course search to find out if they do have vacancies and whether they'll accept an alternative PS from someone in your situation.

A reasonable backup option would be to take an Education BA/BEd without QTS with a view to either take a PGCE to become a primary teacher or a PG course to become a nurse depending on your position in 3 years time. That gives you a fairly versatile degree alongside an opportunity to get as much practical experience as possible to boost your chances of making the right decision and being successful with whichever route you choose to take.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Primary Education is one of the most competitive degrees out there. Definitely investigate both options for swapping course at your existing 5 choices and any universities that still have vacancies available on UCAS course search to find out if they do have vacancies and whether they'll accept an alternative PS from someone in your situation.

A reasonable backup option would be to take an Education BA/BEd without QTS with a view to either take a PGCE to become a primary teacher or a PG course to become a nurse depending on your position in 3 years time. That gives you a fairly versatile degree alongside an opportunity to get as much practical experience as possible to boost your chances of making the right decision and being successful with whichever route you choose to take.

Thank you!
Original post by PQ

I would recommend sitting down and thinking about your options. It sounds to me as though you haven't done so. I spent about 1.5 years researching my 'major' i.e. what degree i was going to pursue before i graduated from 'school'. I made a list of 6 careers i would consider, and the pluses and minuses of each. The primary filter i applied was: "If i attain this degree, and are credentialed in this field, and make the AVERAGE salary earned by such people, will i be earning enough to support a 'reasonably successful life style'. This being defined as: a> being able to buy enough to eat, b> being able to afford to live in a safe, secure neighbourhood, with a low crime rate, c> being able to afford to attend theater and musical shows occasionally, d> having enough income to support a spouse and any children i produce, e> being able to afford to pursue an advanced degree if i should choose to do so, f> would this career provide reasonable 'job security' and 'ability to relocate' - should i choose to do so, could i see myself continuing in this career path for 30 or 40 years (recognizing that i would have options for varying the details of my career by relocating, changing the details of what i was involved with, and other job variations.

My experience has been that most, if not all young people, only apply the filter: "Would i LIKE this job"?? First off, without doing fairly substantial research, i don't think that anyone can answer that question - you need detailed knowledge of the job to do so. Personally, i could not do 'primary education' - i don't think i could stand it. My observation is that about 60% or more of your time as a teacher is being a 'baby sitter', trying to control the class, and keeping them from killing each other. It is almost like working in 'corrections' - i.e. being a jail guard. Best of luck!!
Original post by Rabbit2

Original post by Rabbit2
I would recommend sitting down and thinking about your options. It sounds to me as though you haven't done so. I spent about 1.5 years researching my 'major' i.e. what degree i was going to pursue before i graduated from 'school'. I made a list of 6 careers i would consider, and the pluses and minuses of each. The primary filter i applied was: "If i attain this degree, and are credentialed in this field, and make the AVERAGE salary earned by such people, will i be earning enough to support a 'reasonably successful life style'. This being defined as: a> being able to buy enough to eat, b> being able to afford to live in a safe, secure neighbourhood, with a low crime rate, c> being able to afford to attend theater and musical shows occasionally, d> having enough income to support a spouse and any children i produce, e> being able to afford to pursue an advanced degree if i should choose to do so, f> would this career provide reasonable 'job security' and 'ability to relocate' - should i choose to do so, could i see myself continuing in this career path for 30 or 40 years (recognizing that i would have options for varying the details of my career by relocating, changing the details of what i was involved with, and other job variations.

My experience has been that most, if not all young people, only apply the filter: "Would i LIKE this job"?? First off, without doing fairly substantial research, i don't think that anyone can answer that question - you need detailed knowledge of the job to do so. Personally, i could not do 'primary education' - i don't think i could stand it. My observation is that about 60% or more of your time as a teacher is being a 'baby sitter', trying to control the class, and keeping them from killing each other. It is almost like working in 'corrections' - i.e. being a jail guard. Best of luck!!

Absolutely wrong about what being a primary teacher is like. Discipline is established very early on by good teachers. My kids did not play up even if I was not in the room.
Original post by Scotney
Absolutely wrong about what being a primary teacher is like. Discipline is established very early on by good teachers. My kids did not play up even if I was not in the room.

You are unduly fortunate. On this side of the pond, they are having knife fights & dealing drugs while the teacher IS in the room. Cheers.
Original post by Rabbit2
You are unduly fortunate. On this side of the pond, they are having knife fights & dealing drugs while the teacher IS in the room. Cheers.

Where was this out of genuine interest. Is primary 4-11years like the UK?
Original post by Scotney
Where was this out of genuine interest. Is primary 4-11years like the UK?

Basically any high school 13 - 19 yr old, or even jr high school in the "inner city" - i.e. South Bronx [NYC], Atlanta, Miami, East LA, Chicago, Detroit, and even [gasp] Wash D.C. [my base of operations - when i'm in the country (mine)]. Within the last year, a freshman co-ed in NYC was attacked on the street [just outside some of her classroom buildings] when trying to return to her dorm room. A group of 5 or 6 elementary school students attacked her with knives, and repeatedly stabbed her. They then ran off, and she managed to make it to a 'campus security' booth - which had a 'guard' on duty {some guard..right???!!!]ll. He summoned 'help' - and the rescue squad took her to a local hospital - but she 'bled out' on the way and was DOA. I think she was 18. This was reported in the Daily Mail when it happened. As i recall [and it's been some time - so excuse me if i'm not 'dead on' with the number - i think the tuition at her school was around $100,000 per year (USD)]. If i were paying that sort of cash to educate MY daughter - i guarantee you she would NOT be going to school in NYC, or any other 'inner city' area. I would want her to survive to graduation, but then i'm not a liberal - i'm more of a conservative. It will be interesting to see where her younger brother goes to uni. Cheers.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending