The Student Room Group

anyone know what this is?

im kind of sick of it ngl like ive finished my period a few days ago and suddenly , i have a really bad sharp pain and it's really painful. idk why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on where is the pain. If it's an abdominal pain after menstruation, I've felt that before, don't worry it might be cramp after menstruation (sometimes occured for some people). A few days later, you'd feel better. Try to give a warm compress on your stomach, it'd be a lot better. Or it might be caused by eating spices too much, and it also depends on your eating habit. By the way, if this goes for more than 3 days straight, please visit a doctor. Hope you get well soon.
Original post by gracieee16
im kind of sick of it ngl like ive finished my period a few days ago and suddenly , i have a really bad sharp pain and it's really painful. idk why?

well I mean you could ask a professional 👀
Original post by cielkeyz
Depends on where is the pain. If it's an abdominal pain after menstruation, I've felt that before, don't worry it might be cramp after menstruation (sometimes occured for some people). A few days later, you'd feel better. Try to give a warm compress on your stomach, it'd be a lot better. Or it might be caused by eating spices too much, and it also depends on your eating habit. By the way, if this goes for more than 3 days straight, please visit a doctor. Hope you get well soon.

it disappeared at lunch time but it was really painful this morning, im not over exaggerating either. idk, i always have irregular periods and its annoying haha. when i was on my period my pains lasted for weeks bc my period took almost 90 days to arrive. it's frustrating. :frown:

thank you so so muchhh!!!
Original post by the_pharaoh
well I mean you could ask a professional 👀

they're not going to do anything are they?
what do you think they're going to do?
they're not going to do anything are they?
what do you think they're going to do?

GPs can help with irregular periods and severe period pains. There are quite a few treatment options and they might also be able to diagnose an underlying cause :yep:
You could call 111. Your description here isn't very detailed and most of us aren't medical professionals.
Reply 7

There is a pain called Mittelschmerz, which happens at ovulation. It may be that.

Having said that, I think that it would be worth speaking to a female GP at the surgery, it sounds as though you might benefit from help if they are irregular in this way.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ovulation-pain/
Original post by becausethenight
GPs can help with irregular periods and severe period pains. There are quite a few treatment options and they might also be able to diagnose an underlying cause :yep:

can they? idk i have really painful ones and they are heavy too. i feel really awkward talking about this to a doctor. is having irregular periods not normal?
Reply 9
can they? idk i have really painful ones and they are heavy too. i feel really awkward talking about this to a doctor. is having irregular periods not normal?

Depends. Speak to your GP.
Original post by Kerzen
There is a pain called Mittelschmerz, which happens at ovulation. It may be that.

Having said that, I think that it would be worth speaking to a female GP at the surgery, it sounds as though you might benefit from help if they are irregular in this way.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ovulation-pain/

probably that but i had my period last week i think and it says that ovulation is normally 14 days after your period but i ovulate late most of the time because my periods are missed or irregular at times. i hope im ovulating though😂.

would you say that if I sometimes have a normal cycle like 33-39 days and then sometimes 40-90 , would u say that's abnormal?

Yes, they can - it's what they're there for!
It's awkward to talk about but they really could help.
Depending on how old you are it can be normal to have irregular periods for around two years after your first one, but after that it's not normal to have cycles longer than 35 days or fewer than 9 cycles a year. Have a look at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/irregular-periods/
Equally it's not normal to have very heavy or painful periods and it can be a sign of a heath condition (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heavy-periods/)
Original post by becausethenight
Yes, they can - it's what they're there for!
It's awkward to talk about but they really could help.
Depending on how old you are it can be normal to have irregular periods for around two years after your first one, but after that it's not normal to have cycles longer than 35 days or fewer than 9 cycles a year. Have a look at https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/irregular-periods/
Equally it's not normal to have very heavy or painful periods and it can be a sign of a heath condition (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heavy-periods/)

you're right. it is natural i suppose :smile:.
im 16 and started mine at 11.
it's been like this ever since i started. i honestly thought it was normal.
my periods range from 30 -90 days but mostly 37-42 days
thank you so much btw.
Original post by Pathway
Depends. Speak to your GP.

thank you for your help :smile:.
Reply 14

would you say that if I sometimes have a normal cycle like 33-39 days and then sometimes 40-90 , would u say that's abnormal?

It's worth speaking to your GP.

One reason is that irregularity in menstruation can impact on later bone density.

The other is the hassle, to be honest. If there is a way of having periods which are pretty much regular, that sounds better to me.

Make an appointment with your GP this week.
thank you for your help :smile:.

No worries, I hope you can get some support. :hugs:

Irregular periods can be pretty darn annoying. Mine are irregular, as well as very short and painful when they do happen. Definitely worth speaking to your GP about soon! Take care.
Original post by Kerzen
It's worth speaking to your GP.

One reason is that irregularity in menstruation can impact on later bone density.

The other is the hassle, to be honest. If there is a way of having periods which are pretty much regular, that sounds better to me.

Make an appointment with your GP this week.

i appreciate this a lot actually. thank you!
periods are weird lmaoo😂😂.
Original post by Pathway
No worries, I hope you can get some support. :hugs:

Irregular periods can be pretty darn annoying. Mine are irregular, as well as very short and painful when they do happen. Definitely worth speaking to your GP about soon! Take care.

you're so nice!

aweh, no!!! that's not good but we girls are strong😊😊.
you're right. it is natural i suppose :smile:.
im 16 and started mine at 11.
it's been like this ever since i started. i honestly thought it was normal.
my periods range from 30 -90 days but mostly 37-42 days
thank you so much btw.

This happens a lot - because we don’t talk about it, people assume the most ridiculously long, short, or heavy periods are normal sadly.

I really hope you can get some support :hugs:Periods suck and being able to have as few as possible has been a lifesaver for me.

:goodluck:
it disappeared at lunch time but it was really painful this morning, im not over exaggerating either. idk, i always have irregular periods and its annoying haha. when i was on my period my pains lasted for weeks bc my period took almost 90 days to arrive. it's frustrating. :frown:

thank you so so muchhh!!!

hii, im sorry you're going through this! I've had the same problem, and i went to the gp and eventually found out that i had a cyst in my ovary
im not trying to make you worry, but i say just to be safe make an appointment with your gp, just to put your mind at ease xx

Quick Reply

Latest