The Student Room Group

contact lenses

This is a real world problem guys: I wear glasses but because of my prescription the lens is too thick for thin frames eg. metal. Sooooo, I have to go with plastic. I want to get contact lenses but I know the price adds up after a while. Buuuuuuut they seem worth it. I want contact lenses so I can wear prescription free ones cuz I prefer wearing glasses but don't like the way mine are. Should I go for it?
I have been a contact lens wearer for many years and love them. My prescription is quite strong so glasses always hurt the bridge of my nose and the top of where my ears join my head (there's probably a name for this) due to the weight of them.
I had to go back to wearing glasses for a month and I hated it - they are also not nearly as good for driving as you see the edges when looking over your shoulder.
I'd go for it
My last glasses cost me £700 - my lenses cost very little but I do pay for aftercare at £12 per month as it is important to keep your eyes healthy
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ReadingMum
I have been a contact lens wearer for many years and love them. My prescription is quite strong so glasses always hurt the bridge of my nose and the top of where my ears join my head (there's probably a name for this) due to the weight of them.
I had to go back to wearing glasses for a month and I hated it - they are also not nearly as good for driving as you see the edges when looking over your shoulder.
I'd go for it
My last glasses cost me £700 - my lenses cost very little but I do pay for aftercare at £12 per month as it is important to keep your eyes healthy

thanks, i've been considering for a while and didn't know if it was the right choice, having advice helps. Being short-sighted since I was little had me wearing glasses up until now. I wanted a change and i've been told they are much better and easier. BUT I have seriously been paranoid about getting an eye infection tho.
I have never had an eye infection and I have been wearing lenses for 35 years. I did develop an allergy to the solution preservatives at one point so had to move to preservative free (more expensive and more plastic) but then I switched to dailies. These days I have extended wear monthlies, so I wear them solidly for a month including sleeping with them in, but they aren't that common and most opticians don't really like them - my optician says I am amazingly fine with them but that is not always the case.
Dailies reduce the chance of grub building up on the lenses and causing issues as you simply throw them away at the end of the day and start fresh in the morning so there is no cleaning to do. They are a bit more fiddly for beginners though as they are very thin/flimsy
Reply 4
If the lenses are fitted well and you use them correctly you shouldn't have infections.

Recently I started wearing custom made monthly contact lenses, they are amazing!!! I don't remember being able to see so clear at all distances.
My prescription is not high but I have fatigue issues so I have to wear glasses for distance and for up close with different prescriptions or wear progressive lenses (although I am nearsighted). Only custom made contacts suit me. I can still function well without glasses and at home I only use them for TV and sometimes for Zoom, but I was (and still am) amazed by the quality of eyesight the new contacts give me.

Another point I always say to my patients (I'm an optometrist), if you have allergies or random eye infections or dry eyes (seasonal or hormonal related), try to avoid contacts in those days.
Reply 5
if I were to get them from specsavers would that be okay or is there another place you would recommend - thanks for the advice.
Reply 6
I'm not sure chains do fitting exams.
Original post by Fatine H
if I were to get them from specsavers would that be okay or is there another place you would recommend - thanks for the advice.

I would look for a local independent optician or small chain where you are not just a number. I use one that has 4 branches and I have seen the same lady almost every time for the last 20 years.
Reply 8
okay that would be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest