The Student Room Group

Finance after swapping University

Hi. I am a mature student in the middle of studying 120 credits with Open University. If I swap to a brick uni and have to start from foundation or year 1 woukd I be funded for the full course? As I applied for a part time tuition fee for Open uni even though I am studying 120 credits.
Also if I was accepted into year 1 of a sandwich year degree would I be able to use SFE for year 1,2 and 4 and pay for the placement year myself?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kamielle
Hi. I am a mature student in the middle of studying 120 credits with Open University. If I swap to a brick uni and have to start from foundation or year 1 woukd I be funded for the full course? As I applied for a part time tuition fee for Open uni even though I am studying 120 credits.
Also if I was accepted into year 1 of a sandwich year degree would I be able to use SFE for year 1,2 and 4 and pay for the placement year myself?
Thanks

Hi, are you switching from full time to part time?
Have you ever had any previous full time study?
Did you gain any qualification from studying part time?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, are you switching from full time to part time?
Have you ever had any previous full time study?
Did you gain any qualification from studying part time?
Thanks, Isaac

Hi
No I am doing 120 credits this year with OU but I had to apply for a part time tuition loan for it. I can get a HNC of the credits bit might leave it if it will affect my see entitlement. I will be going full time.
Thanks
Hi
No I am doing 120 credits this year with OU but I had to apply for a part time tuition loan for it. I can get a HNC of the credits bit might leave it if it will affect my see entitlement. I will be going full time.
Thanks

I didn't fully understand your answers to my 3 questions.

Are you saying no to switching from full time to part time and no to having previous full time study.

If you are switching to a full time course then you can apply for full funding as long as you have had no previous full time study and as long as you gained no previous qualification.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Hi Isaac

I'm sorry for the confusion. I am currently studying 60 credits with OU with the possibility if I cannot cancel the third module of it being 90 credits within 1 year.

I will be withdrawing from the qualification once my modules are complete so will have 60 or 90 credits of the OU in computing.

I am starting a Beng in mechanical Engineering full time at Ljmu in September. This is a integrated degree with the engineering foundation year. It will be 4 years total or 5 if I do the year placement.(which I would prefer) dependant on finance.

Am I correct in thinking as OU is part time study as I won't be doing the full 120 credits within the year and will receive no qualification, that I will be fully funded for my Engineering degree which is full time at a brick uni.

Thankyou for all your help.

Regards

Kam
Hi Isaac

I'm sorry for the confusion. I am currently studying 60 credits with OU with the possibility if I cannot cancel the third module of it being 90 credits within 1 year.

I will be withdrawing from the qualification once my modules are complete so will have 60 or 90 credits of the OU in computing.

I am starting a Beng in mechanical Engineering full time at Ljmu in September. This is a integrated degree with the engineering foundation year. It will be 4 years total or 5 if I do the year placement.(which I would prefer) dependant on finance.

Am I correct in thinking as OU is part time study as I won't be doing the full 120 credits within the year and will receive no qualification, that I will be fully funded for my Engineering degree which is full time at a brick uni.

Regards

Kam

OU is always classed as part ime.

Your previous part time study will not affect your eligibility for your full time course as you are not gaining any qualification from the OU. So you should be fully funded for your full time course based on this information.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Hi Issac,

Thankyou for your reply. So if I was to do a 5 year degree which would include a integrated engineering foundation year with also a placement year I would receive payment for the whole degree?

Would the part time OU be classed as my gift year meaning I would have to finance the first year myself or would I receive finance for all of the degree?

Thankyou so much

Take care
Kam
Hi Issac,

Thankyou for your reply. So if I was to do a 5 year degree which would include a integrated engineering foundation year with also a placement year I would receive payment for the whole degree?

Would the part time OU be classed as my gift year meaning I would have to finance the first year myself or would I receive finance for all of the degree?

Thankyou so much

Take care
Kam

Yes as long as you ever never studied full time before and as long as you do not gain a qualification from your part time study.

No, the OU does not count as your additional year. We don't take your part time study into account if you never received a qualification.

If you have never studied full time and never gained a qualification then you can receive funding for the length of your full time course plus one addtional year(previously known as the gift year).
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8

Yes as long as you ever never studied full time before and as long as you do not gain a qualification from your part time study.

No, the OU does not count as your additional year. We don't take your part time study into account if you never received a qualification.

If you have never studied full time and never gained a qualification then you can receive funding for the length of your full time course plus one addtional year(previously known as the gift year).
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Issac,
Thankyou so much for your reply. I will be cancelling my last module as it does not start until April so I have not achieved a Hcert I will also be withdrawing from the course in May/June once my other modules are complete.

Once this is done do I just make a new fresh application for my new course which starts in September on my SFE account for new course? Or would I need to send in forms and if so which ones.

Thankyou

Kam
Hi Issac,
Thankyou so much for your reply. I will be cancelling my last module as it does not start until April so I have not achieved a Hcert I will also be withdrawing from the course in May/June once my other modules are complete.

Once this is done do I just make a new fresh application for my new course which starts in September on my SFE account for new course? Or would I need to send in forms and if so which ones.

Thankyou

Kam

You won't be able to apply online unless we receive a withdrawal from your previous university. You can either wait til the university send the withdrawal or complete the PN1 form http://ow.ly/d/8pbk
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 10

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 12
You're welcome :smile:

Hi again Issac,

Can I use my 2 children's passports as I only have 1 birth certificate I can find?

Also do I upload as pictures if they are suitable or do I have to photocopy them and post them?

Thanks
Hi again Issac,

Can I use my 2 children's passports as I only have 1 birth certificate I can find?

Also do I upload as pictures if they are suitable or do I have to photocopy them and post them?

Thanks

Good Afternoon,

You can upload copies to the online account.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Reply 14
Original post by Shaun SFE
Good Afternoon,

You can upload copies to the online account.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. Does this mean I can send in pics of my children's passports instead of birth certificates?

Thanks

Kam
Hi
Thanks for your reply. Does this mean I can send in pics of my children's passports instead of birth certificates?

Thanks

Kam

That's correct :smile:
Reply 16

Thankyou I appreciate your help.
Reply 17
I'm sorry would this be photocopies via post or just upload them .
Thanks
Reply 18

Im sorry would this be photocopies via post or upload them.

Thanks
Im sorry would this be photocopies via post or upload them.

Thanks

Sorry, these can be uploaded!

Warm Regards,

Shaun.

Quick Reply

Latest