The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

DE200

Hi everyone,

Has anyone done the DE200 - Psychology with Counselling exam with the Open University, and how did you find it? Any learning tips that can help would be appreciated! Also I am assuming this exam is only based on our second year. I am so nervous guys!
(edited 3 years ago)
I did de200 in 2019.

It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be tbh.
It is based on that module only-although some knowledge from de100 will help you with the foundations.
Are you studying it just now?
Do you know what it entails?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by jeyda223
Hi everyone,

Has anyone done the DE200 - Psychology with Counselling exam with the Open University, and how did you find it? Any learning tips that can help would be appreciated! Also I am assuming this exam is only based on our second year. I am so nervous guys!

I did this exam in 2018. The most helpful thing I did was to make flashcards of the key phrases and revise them a lot! I began studying for the exam way, way in advance, as I know exams are generally my weak spot. I also made written out plans for the essay questions and would time myself writing them and see what I remembered. After all this preparation, I actually found the exam quite enjoyable, and managed to get an 86, so it paid off!
Original post by Nerol
I did this exam in 2018. The most helpful thing I did was to make flashcards of the key phrases and revise them a lot! I began studying for the exam way, way in advance, as I know exams are generally my weak spot. I also made written out plans for the essay questions and would time myself writing them and see what I remembered. After all this preparation, I actually found the exam quite enjoyable, and managed to get an 86, so it paid off!

Thanks Nerol!
I just have a few questions if you don't mind.
1. Was it an assignment you had to do or just general questions? (Don't worry I am not expecting you to tell me what this was on.) 2. Do you know how long the exam is? 3. Is there any websites I can use to help me with the different medical terms or language they seem to use in Psychology? I find this sometimes difficult to understand.
Reply 4
Thank you I appreciate your advice! xD
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks Nerol!
I just have a few questions if you don't mind.
1. Was it an assignment you had to do or just general questions? (Don't worry I am not expecting you to tell me what this was on.) 2. Do you know how long the exam is? 3. Is there any websites I can use to help me with the different medical terms or language they seem to use in Psychology? I find this sometimes difficult to understand.

Hi again!

They give you a list of 45 key terms to remember and you need to write about 3 (I think) for the exam. You technically only need to remember 30 because I think they give you 15 from each of the 3 units, then 6 (2 from each unit) come up in the exam and you choose 3 to write about, so you can choose 2 from one unit and one from another if that makes sense. You need to give a definition and example I think to explain the terms. I revised this using flash cards I made. I think if you go on the Quizlet website, people have put flashcard quizzes on there using common DE200 terms (eg. https://quizlet.com/316993511/de200-flash-cards/ ).

So that is the first part of the exam. The second part is essay questions. I think these are given to you quite a few weeks before the exam so you can prepare. If I remember right, there are 6 of them and you have to do 2 in the exam, but you don't know which 2 will come up, so you have to prepare for all 6. And I believe the exam was 3 hours long.

Not sure if this will all still be the same, maybe someone who took the exam more recently can confirm. If you put the time and effort into getting really prepared, it should be no problem. I revised and prepared obsessively because I don't usually do well in exams. I ended up getting 86, so I'd say it paid off!

Hope this is helpful!
To be honest I am the same which from the looks of things, I will have to revise in advance. I am bettee with multiple choice questions but not really with written exams.
Thanks a bunch Nerol! That was very helpful.
And well done you! xD
I just finished TMA04 for DE200. Exam is coming next!

I found this course enjoyable but challenging. I did ok in TMA01, bombed TMA02, great in TMA03 and I await the result of TMA04.

The reason I bombed TMA02 was that I got the independent variable wrong and so the entire essay I written was based on wrong info!

Quick Reply

Latest