The Student Room Group

So my MSc applications have been rejected, what do I do now?

Hello!

I know it's only February but I am worried I'm on track for being either unemployed or out of education by the time I graduate.

For context, I applied to 4 MSc courses - Fin Maths and Applicable Maths in LSE, Mathematical Finance in Warwick and the MCF in Oxford. I averaged a 66 in second year but I was experiencing a bereavement just before finals hit so I am hoping I end up with a first overall. I did mention this in my personal statement but oh well!
(For anyone curious, I am a final year Economics and Mathematics student. My midterm grades for this semester are: 95% in Manifolds & Topology, 78% in Time Series Econometrics, 73% in Bayesian Statistics, 69% in Game Theory)

I don't particular mind getting rejected from the Fin Maths courses as I know they are super competitive, but I really wanted to be be admitted into the MSc Applicable Maths in LSE! This rejection stung the most which has led me to write this post.

What should I do? Shall I try and squeeze in some more applications at less competitive universities? Shall I email the universities and beg for reconsideration (lol) ? Should I try and apply for jobs? (I had a placement year at a hedge fund so I do have work experience.) Shall I just apply next year?

Thanks in advance! This was a bit of a rant so apologies! I actually haven't received an outcome from Oxford just yet but admission doesn't seem to be too realistic at the moment... I am also terrible at interviews lol.

Thank you!!

EDIT: Just got off the phone from LSE. Reasons for my application being rejected is the very descriptive “there were better suited applicants”. What does this mean I can improve on?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by gooey99
Hello!

I know it's only February but I am worried I'm on track for being either unemployed or out of education by the time I graduate.

For context, I applied to 4 MSc courses - Fin Maths and Applicable Maths in LSE, Mathematical Finance in Warwick and the MCF in Oxford. I averaged a 66 in second year but I was experiencing a bereavement just before finals hit so I am hoping I end up with a first overall. I did mention this in my personal statement but oh well!
(For anyone curious, I am a final year Economics and Mathematics student. My midterm grades for this semester are: 95% in Manifolds & Topology, 78% in Time Series Econometrics, 73% in Bayesian Statistics, 69% in Game Theory)

I don't particular mind getting rejected from the Fin Maths courses as I know they are super competitive, but I really wanted to be be admitted into the MSc Applicable Maths in LSE! This rejection stung the most which has led me to write this post.

What should I do? Shall I try and squeeze in some more applications at less competitive universities? Shall I email the universities and beg for reconsideration (lol) ? Should I try and apply for jobs? (I had a placement year at a hedge fund so I do have work experience.) Shall I just apply next year?

Thanks in advance! This was a bit of a rant so apologies! I actually haven't received an outcome from Oxford just yet but admission doesn't seem to be too realistic at the moment... I am also terrible at interviews lol.

Thank you!!

Firstly, I hope your doing okay because I know how getting rejections can really suck.

Secondly, I guess it's important for us to understand why you want to do a master's? Interested in the course material, want a better brand name on the CV, to give you another year at grad job entry or to just give you far more stature in the job market?

Thirdly, is it possible to return to the fund that you did worked for during your placement? I've personally found that internships and my placement year taught me at least as much as my degree has so far. Maybe if you were able to return you could get some more experience, earn a bit of 💰 and then you can reapply next year because you'll have your grades? Did you not get a return offer from them?
Reply 2
Original post by BenRyan99
Firstly, I hope your doing okay because I know how getting rejections can really suck.

Secondly, I guess it's important for us to understand why you want to do a master's? Interested in the course material, want a better brand name on the CV, to give you another year at grad job entry or to just give you far more stature in the job market?

Thirdly, is it possible to return to the fund that you did worked for during your placement? I've personally found that internships and my placement year taught me at least as much as my degree has so far. Maybe if you were able to return you could get some more experience, earn a bit of 💰 and then you can reapply next year because you'll have your grades? Did you not get a return offer from them?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I'm doing well so far and I'm just trying to play everything by ear :smile:

Honestly? I want to do a masters for all three reasons. I really enjoy maths, and have always been interested in taking it further. I also come from a pretty mid-tier university and need a university with a better reputation to get into the firms I want / get the roles I want. I am not sure whether spending a lot of money on a masters from another mid-tier university is worth it at the moment.

I did not get a return offer from them. In the last few months of my job, my responsibilities included automating my role so there would be nothing to return back to! Additionally, the role I had there isn't the role I would like to continue with. As for joining in a different position, nothing was offered unfortunately. I have been thinking about getting a job in the interim and just re-applying next year when I have a solid first so that is definitely an option! Thanks :biggrin: I have emailed LSE / Warwick on why my application was rejected so I know what to improve on going forward.
Reply 3
I'm actually really impressed by what you have done so far.

I know that it isn't exactly what you had in mind, but you might like to consider a role in the Royal Navy. Sponsorship for your Masters would be a real possibility.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/levels-of-entry/graduates
Reply 4
Original post by gooey99
Hello!

Thank you!!

EDIT: Just got off the phone from LSE. Reasons for my application being rejected is the very descriptive “there were better suited applicants”. What does this mean I can improve on?

Have you received any response from oxford yet? I have a somewhat similar problem.
Reply 5
Original post by c0vfefe
Have you received any response from oxford yet? I have a somewhat similar problem.

Hope you’re doing good!

I have not. I think they may get back to us around end of March / early April but I’ll let you know if they get back to me earlier.
Reply 6
Original post by gooey99
Hope you’re doing good!

I have not. I think they may get back to us around end of March / early April but I’ll let you know if they get back to me earlier.

I really hope so. I applied on deadline date. I checked a few threads on QuantNet and some people did get their acceptances (no interview). I haven't seen anyone rejected yet so I'm afraid they'll probably send a rejection to everyone after the cohort is filled. Have you seen anyone get rejected??
Reply 7
Original post by c0vfefe
I really hope so. I applied on deadline date. I checked a few threads on QuantNet and some people did get their acceptances (no interview). I haven't seen anyone rejected yet so I'm afraid they'll probably send a rejection to everyone after the cohort is filled. Have you seen anyone get rejected??

I haven’t been checking unfortunately :frown: when did they get their answer? (I couldn’t find the thread you were talking about).

Honestly my grades aren’t that good so it would make sense they’re waiting to reject me, but don’t give up!
Reply 8
Original post by gooey99
I haven’t been checking unfortunately :frown: when did they get their answer? (I couldn’t find the thread you were talking about).

Honestly my grades aren’t that good so it would make sense they’re waiting to reject me, but don’t give up!

they're on quantnet (I remember the title was Columbia vs Oxford ). They got their answer last Thursday apparently , but they were like 5 and had multiple internships.. as you said we shouldn't give up yet.
Reply 9
Original post by c0vfefe
they're on quantnet (I remember the title was Columbia vs Oxford ). They got their answer last Thursday apparently , but they were like 5 and had multiple internships.. as you said we shouldn't give up yet.

Hi, just got sent the rejection letter.. wishing you the best!
Reply 10
Original post by gooey99
Hi, just got sent the rejection letter.. wishing you the best!

same here. I sort of expected it after the first wave has already been accepted. good luck to everyone else.
Reply 11
Original post by c0vfefe
same here. I sort of expected it after the first wave has already been accepted. good luck to everyone else.

So sorry to hear that !! I’m sure there’s something amazing waiting for you down the line! Don’t give up hope!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending