The Student Room Group

Should lockdown stay until every adult has had at least one dose of vaccine?

This poll is closed

Should lockdown remain in force until all adults have had at least 1 jab?

Yes once all adults have been offered their 1st dose 17%
No. Ease lockdown regardless.83%
Total votes: 12
All adults should have been offered their first dose of Covid vaccine before lockdown is lifted.

The danger of easing lockdown while millions remain unvaccinated could result in the virus infecting the unvaccinated population. If that happens opportunistic mutant strains could infect those already vaccinated. We do not want us all to be back to square one. If that happens it might not be so easy developing a new vaccine as the virus could be highly resistant.

If almost everyone is vaccinated then the infection rate will be much lower and risk of mutations far less.

It’s like antibiotics. Doctors are very clear that you should not stop taking a course of antibiotics before an infection is cleared otherwise the infection could mutate and resist the antibiotics. It must be totally extinguished. Like a burning building it would be crazy if the fire brigade left before all the fires were totally extinguished it might just start up again.

Once again let’s not risk us all being back to square one for a bit of haste and impatience.
Lockdown should be lifted when cases are at a safe level. It'll be a very long time before all adults are vaccinated.
Original post by Theloniouss
Lockdown should be lifted when cases are at a safe level. It'll be a very long time before all adults are vaccinated.

Then we need to speed up vaccination rate! There are at least 5 or 6 types of vaccine available globally. We need to buy all types and start using more places as mass vaccination centres.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Then we need to speed up vaccination rate! There are at least 5 or 6 types of vaccine available globally. We need to buy all types and start using more places as mass vaccination centres.

And what if that doesn't happen? We aren't the only country in need of vaccines.
All adults should have been offered their first dose of Covid vaccine before lockdown is lifted.

The danger of easing lockdown while millions remain unvaccinated could result in the virus infecting the unvaccinated population. If that happens opportunistic mutant strains could infect those already vaccinated. We do not want us all to be back to square one. If that happens it might not be so easy developing a new vaccine as the virus could be highly resistant.

If almost everyone is vaccinated then the infection rate will be much lower and risk of mutations far less.

It’s like antibiotics. Doctors are very clear that you should not stop taking a course of antibiotics before an infection is cleared otherwise the infection could mutate and resist the antibiotics. It must be totally extinguished. Like a burning building it would be crazy if the fire brigade left before all the fires were totally extinguished it might just start up again.

Once again let’s not risk us all being back to square one for a bit of haste and impatience.

The mortality rate to Covid is directly linked to age and health of the people infected.

Once we’ve vaccinated those most likely to die from it, then we’ll be lifting the lockdown.

I’m afraid that social distancing will be in place until we get the whole of the country vaccinated.

I suspect it’ll be about Autumn onwards when we start getting back to normal.
Reply 5
99% of all Covid deaths occur in the over 50's and they encompass the first nine priority groups, after that everything should be optional.
Original post by Theloniouss

Who cares about "cases". Unless youre aged like 85 years old, its just a flu. (I can provide stats). The world is waking up.
Reply 7

We should also speed up economic growth, the construction of affordable housing and Britains general standing in the world. These all run up against fundamental laws of nature though.
Original post by Shaven125
Who cares about "cases". Unless youre aged like 85 years old, its just a flu. (I can provide stats). The world is waking up.

Actually not quite like that.

in most people’s cases it will be just like the flu who are younger. But it’s killing people in their 40s and 50s now. A mid 50 co worker has just died from it.

Unlike the flu however, nobody has had exposure to it before which is where the problem comes in. That’s the reason why hospitals have been hammered.
Reply 9
Original post by MatureStudent37
Actually not quite like that.

in most people’s cases it will be just like the flu who are younger. But it’s killing people in their 40s and 50s now. A mid 50 co worker has just died from it.

Unlike the flu however, nobody has had exposure to it before which is where the problem comes in. That’s the reason why hospitals have been hammered.

ONS data still has 99% of deaths above 50 albeit simply due to the size of the wave that will still kill and hospitalise plenty of 30-50 year olds.
Original post by Rakas21
ONS data still has 99% of deaths above 50 albeit simply due to the size of the wave that will still kill and hospitalise plenty of 30-50 year olds.

And here in lies the problem. Lockdowns are there to buy time and level out the impact of the virus.

Higher mortality rate the older you are. Higher hospitalisation rate the older you are.

They’re trying to manage that sweet spot of stopping the old people dieting and the younger people clogging up the hospitals. Clogged up hospitals increase the risk of death as they’re not receiving the proper medical care. Whilst the hospitals are clogged up dealing with vivid patients they can’t treat other people.

For me, and the terminology may be wrong. The aim is to stop the hospitals being overwhelmed by stopping people being admitted to die and also getting admitted for treatment.

I have to be honest. This has all been quite distant for me. I’ve seen it on the news, understood what’s going on and followed the guidance. But never really been impacted by it. A few people have caught it, has a few weeks off but we’re relatively ok. Just the usual cold and flu type stuff. Others I know have had it and had not even realised .(caught with random testing that had to be done because of their jobs)

It’s only recently I’ve seen my elder brother and his girlfriend knocked for six with it. Although fortunately not requiring hospitalisation. Although his girlfriend did come close. It then stated to feel a bit more realistic. Then I had a coworker test positive. And he then died last week from it. At this point it’s getting serious.

I think the problem with these pandemics is you can’t see it, and unless your directly impacted by it you may not understand it. So people then become blaze about it and then realise, but by then it’s too late.

I liken it to world war 2 and the black out. It was quite easy to get people to understand the importance of the black out as people could rationalise why they were having to do it
Original post by MatureStudent37
And here in lies the problem. Lockdowns are there to buy time and level out the impact of the virus.

Higher mortality rate the older you are. Higher hospitalisation rate the older you are.

They’re trying to manage that sweet spot of stopping the old people dieting and the younger people clogging up the hospitals. Clogged up hospitals increase the risk of death as they’re not receiving the proper medical care. Whilst the hospitals are clogged up dealing with vivid patients they can’t treat other people.

For me, and the terminology may be wrong. The aim is to stop the hospitals being overwhelmed by stopping people being admitted to die and also getting admitted for treatment.

I have to be honest. This has all been quite distant for me. I’ve seen it on the news, understood what’s going on and followed the guidance. But never really been impacted by it. A few people have caught it, has a few weeks off but we’re relatively ok. Just the usual cold and flu type stuff. Others I know have had it and had not even realised .(caught with random testing that had to be done because of their jobs)

It’s only recently I’ve seen my elder brother and his girlfriend knocked for six with it. Although fortunately not requiring hospitalisation. Although his girlfriend did come close. It then stated to feel a bit more realistic. Then I had a coworker test positive. And he then died last week from it. At this point it’s getting serious.

I think the problem with these pandemics is you can’t see it, and unless your directly impacted by it you may not understand it. So people then become blaze about it and then realise, but by then it’s too late.

I liken it to world war 2 and the black out. It was quite easy to get people to understand the importance of the black out as people could rationalise why they were having to do it

My personal view with a virus that mutates personally is that we have to adopt the Flu mentality which is to say that while I agree we may have to restrain ourselves until the over 50's are secure I personally do accept that most of the under 50 population may have to experience it and gain partial immunity to various strains every few years while we make the over 50's the priority for any new vaccines.

I do think testing will have to stay though and actually being optimistic we should probably increase the scale and use this as an opportunity to wipe out less infectious but severe things like measles. Places like our islands with small populations can get monthly tests to keep them clean and restriction free.
No, they shouldn't. The vaccine will not stop the spread because you can still pass the virus on to others if you had the vaccine. It doesn't stop you from getting it. All the vaccine does is stop you having serious symptoms/ going though it badly, so it should be your choice if you want to take it or not.

Some people have strong immune systems so they know they will safely go through it, why should they be kept locked up for that? The elderly get vaccinated because they are at higher risk of fatality.
Original post by aiwiloistyping
No, they shouldn't. The vaccine will not stop the spread because you can still pass the virus on to others if you had the vaccine. It doesn't stop you from getting it. All the vaccine does is stop you having serious symptoms/ going though it badly, so it should be your choice if you want to take it or not.

Some people have strong immune systems so they know they will safely go through it, why should they be kept locked up for that? The elderly get vaccinated because they are at higher risk of fatality.

Not of both on that. Single doses stop you getting ill. I think that they’ve now concluded that having both reduces the risk of spreading.

That’s why they’ve adopted the single dose approach. The main aim is to stop people getting ill and dying from it.
Reply 14
if we're waiting for every adult to have one jab before lockdown is lifted we'll be in perpetual lockdown. there is no vaccine that is mandatory in the UK and right now this one is so new that (seemingly) a fair percentage of the population is hesitant to have it till they can see from their friends and family how it works in practise. tbh it's not fair that the hesitant are essentially using their fellow citizens as test animals, but alas that seems the situation we're in and so have to work with it. imho perpetual lockdown would make matters worse as being in it for a year was enough to wreck physical and mental health, the economy and put pressure on the national debt.

i would guess that those who are classed physically 'vulnerable' are more likely to try the vaccine which - if the issue is saving lives - at least that's the important thing since those are the ones most likely to result in serious health consequences or death. seems, at least, that the young and not physically vulnerable are less inclined to have the vaccine, but then, realistically, what does it matter if they risk themselves of Covid as it might just be the case of them having a fever, a cough and self isolation they can live through as opposed to being rushed to the hospital for a respirator.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending