The Student Room Group

Blood test

So I just had my bloods taken and I was already nervous and then the nurse said she was taking a lot of blood, this already panicked me and after it was all done I asked how much she took and she said 9 vials I think there called I was shocked by that, I’m now wondering what I’m getting test for, it was initially raynauds but I’m thinking it could be more

How much blood have you guys had taken before

Also ps to anyone who is nervous it don’t hurt you feel the smallest pinch and then it took around 20 seconds for mine so honestly don’t worry 😊
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Idk, I've never really asked. I want to leave the vicinity asap so small talk isn't my strong point. :lol:

Hope your results are OK.
Sorry I’ve never had them before so I probably worded it wrong but 9 vials I think it’s called sorry if I confused you,also thank you I hope they come back okay to and I have some idea of what they were testing for just not all as I was only expecting a few 😂
Original post by Pathway
Idk, I've never really asked. I want to leave the vicinity asap so small talk isn't my strong point. :lol:

Hope your results are OK.

I don’t blame you honestly she took a while finding the tubes so I was getting more nervous so I was just asking random question and noticed the vials and I only seen about 5 but I’m assuming she got more while she was looking but thank you also 😊
6 blood tubes, I think
Original post by black tea
6 blood tubes, I think

That’s a lot of blood also,hope your results were okay for when you had yours 😊
Your 9 vial is unlikely to be more than 30ml. You probably have a good 5000ml in your body. You're fine :tongue:

I did a vaccine study where they were doing my HLA subtype and I think some genetics stuff which was about 10 large vials. That also involved twice daily blood films every day for 3 weeks - so that'd be 42 vials in a 3 week period (although I developed the infection at day 14 I think so it was cut short for me).

But the largest amount was I volunteered for a study on macrophages. Macrophages are not common in your blood, so they need a lot of it. They just literally had a needle with a line to a bag on the end of it that flopped onto the floor - bled until filled the bag. Was about the same as a blood donation amount - 450ml.
Original post by nexttime
Your 9 vial is unlikely to be more than 30ml. You probably have a good 5000ml in your body. You're fine :tongue:

I did a vaccine study where they were doing my HLA subtype and I think some genetics stuff which was about 10 large vials. That also involved twice daily blood films every day for 3 weeks - so that'd be 42 vials in a 3 week period (although I developed the infection at day 14 I think so it was cut short for me).

But the largest amount was I volunteered for a study on macrophages. Macrophages are not common in your blood, so they need a lot of it. They just literally had a needle with a line to a bag on the end of it that flopped onto the floor - bled until filled the bag. Was about the same as a blood donation amount - 450ml.

Oh wow I never knew you could donate that much blood at one time that’s crazy, good for you donating all that I don’t think I could personally but yeah I am curious about these things and hense why I asked how much everyone else has given 🙂
Original post by Rosiemae885
So I just had my bloods taken and I was already nervous and then the nurse said she was taking a lot of blood, this already panicked me and after it was all done I asked how much she took and she said 9 vials I think there called I was shocked by that, I’m now wondering what I’m getting test for, it was initially raynauds but I’m thinking it could be more

How much blood have you guys had taken before

Also ps to anyone who is nervous it don’t hurt you feel the smallest pinch and then it took around 20 seconds for mine so honestly don’t worry 😊

So sample tubes for bloodwork tend to vary in volume between about 2mL and about 10mL.
Realistically, some may have been larger samples (toward the 10mL end of the spectrum) whilst others may have been smaller (toward the 2mL end), depending on the specific bloodwork requested.
Therefore, the most that *could* have been taken would be 90mL (less than the carry-on liquid containers you can take in your carry-on on a plane, for context), although in reality, it was likely less as different sample sizes are required for different tests.

To put this in context, when donating blood (via Welsh Blood Service/Scotblood/NHS Blood Donation etc), around 475mL (plus a couple of tubes for extra testing) is taken, so I wouldn't be overly concerned by the 'amount' of blood taken! Hope this makes you feel a little more reassured!
Original post by dacb2f2dd4
So sample tubes for bloodwork tend to vary in volume between about 2mL and about 10mL.
Realistically, some may have been larger samples (toward the 10mL end of the spectrum) whilst others may have been smaller (toward the 2mL end), depending on the specific bloodwork requested.
Therefore, the most that *could* have been taken would be 90mL (less than the carry-on liquid containers you can take in your carry-on on a plane, for context), although in reality, it was likely less as different sample sizes are required for different tests.

To put this in context, when donating blood (via Welsh Blood Service/Scotblood/NHS Blood Donation etc), around 475mL (plus a couple of tubes for extra testing) is taken, so I wouldn't be overly concerned by the 'amount' of blood taken! Hope this makes you feel a little more reassured!

Thank you for the very detailed reply,I think I was just shocked in the moment escpecially it being my first time having a blood test but yeah I did some research afterwards and I was shocked on how much you give when donating blood, makes mine seem like a breeze in the park 😂

Quick Reply

Latest