The Student Room Group

Are Gcse mini exams cancelled?!!!

Take the following news with a pinch of salt:

APPARENTLY: Exams boards are cancelling plans to force you to be assessed on externally set tests (mini exams).

Instead, teachers will hold one-to-one meetings with students to decide grades.

Government will officially announce what they are going to do on 22nd February

How do you feel about the news?

Sources: The Times
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/back-to-school-on-march-8-as-johnson-starts-lifting-lockdown-0v5zbz5bt

I have attached the screenshot given by tiktok guy since you need to pay to access the Times article

FIRST UPDATE: News about exams and grading will be announced on Thursday 25th

SECOND UPDATE: Hi everyone, it was insightful to see you guys discuss your opinion on this years exams. An update clarifying this years grading system was announced this morning and the following thread given an overview of the key points which were mentioned. Thank you and I hope you stay safe, healthy and well and get the grades you want! :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6945718
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wonder how much of your grade the mini exams would decide. If we choose not to take them, surely they have hardly any data to base it on?
Reply 2
Original post by Skatie
I wonder how much of your grade the mini exams would decide. If we choose not to take them, surely they have hardly any data to base it on?

Hi @Skatie, for me, our school made us do mock exams in December so they have results from that. They'll probably also use other assessments like class tests and classwork, homework etc. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dani_05
Take the following news with a pinch of salt:

APPARENTLY: Exams boards are cancelling plans to assess you using externally set tests (mini exams).

Instead, teachers will hold one-to-one meetings with students to decide grades.

Government will officially announce what they are going to do on 22nd February

Sources: The Times
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/back-to-school-on-march-8-as-johnson-starts-lifting-lockdown-0v5zbz5bt

TikTok guy called @gcse_maths who has been providing updates regarding exams during this pandemic

I have attached the screenshot given by tiktok guy since you need to pay to access the Times article

This makes alot more sense but I can imagine the private school kids reaping the benefits though the same, probably to a lesser extent though, would have happened with the mini exams.
Reply 4
Original post by slay3r
This makes alot more sense but I can imagine the private school kids reaping the benefits though the same, probably to a lesser extent though, would have happened with the mini exams.

Hi @slay3r, yeah I guess so. This is probably more beneficial to those of us in non-privatised education. I do think it's a much better solution than having mini exams though
I hope mini exams get cancelled and replaced with A-Level exam series.

I would want us to get teacher grades sometime during April. If we're not happy with our grades, then we should have the option to take A-Levels in May with results coming out during Mid to Late July. Also, I would like an effective appeals process so that we don't suffer the same fiasco last year's students went through.
tf is going on!!!!! I am so confused
Original post by helloiambored

Probably best to wait until it's confirmed, don't worry too much!
Reply 8
Original post by David3686
I hope mini exams get cancelled and replaced with A-Level exam series.

I would want us to get teacher grades sometime during April. If we're not happy with our grades, then we should have the option to take A-Levels in May with results coming out during Mid to Late July. Also, I would like an effective appeals process so that we don't suffer the same fiasco last year's students went through.

Hi @David3686, hope you are well. Just curious, what do you mean by mini exams being replaced with A Level exam series?

I personally believe we should give teachers a bit more time so I would hope for our grades by May which would give us time to appeal our grades. I agree that people should have the option to take their exams if not happy with given grades but instead in the June period meaning results would come out in July/August. Obviously, I think the appeals process definitely needs to be revised to make it more effective and serious :smile:
Reply 9

Hi @helloiambored, sorry it's been a bit confusing. Basically, the government were planning to make us do mini-exams instead of actual full exams. The, the times, a newspaper company, reported yesterday or a few days ago that the government had scrapped that plan and would instead allow teachers to hold meetings with students to discuss grades. We're still awaiting confirmation about this news from the government who will basically publish their plan on the 22nd February. Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask me :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by RazzzBerries
Probably best to wait until it's confirmed, don't worry too much!

Hi @RazzzBerries, thanks for that. Best wait until the government publishes the plan on the 22nd February to confirm anything :smile:
Original post by dani_05
Hi @helloiambored, sorry it's been a bit confusing. Basically, the government were planning to make us do mini-exams instead of actual full exams. The, the times, a newspaper company, reported yesterday or a few days ago that the government had scrapped that plan and would instead allow teachers to hold meetings with students to discuss grades. We're still awaiting confirmation about this news from the government who will basically publish their plan on the 22nd February. Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask me :smile:

ohhh ok. the meetings idea sounds good. I really hope the government does something to ensure everyone gets the grades they deserve.
Original post by dani_05
Hi @David3686, hope you are well. Just curious, what do you mean by mini exams being replaced with A Level exam series?

I personally believe we should give teachers a bit more time so I would hope for our grades by May which would give us time to appeal our grades. I agree that people should have the option to take their exams if not happy with given grades but instead in the June period meaning results would come out in July/August. Obviously, I think the appeals process definitely needs to be revised to make it more effective and serious :smile:

Thank you, hope you are well too.

What I mean is that these mini-exams that the govt wanted us to do, they should be replaced by a full exam series held during May/Start of June. I get what you are saying about grades being given out in May but I believe that if we get grades by April, it will give those who are not satisfied enough time to revise for these optional exams. If they are given out in May, there will be a short period of time (more or less 1 month) for those to revise to get the grades they deserve. Additionally, If these exams are held during the times I said, it will take around 5-6 weeks for papers to be marked, or even less because they may be a smaller amount of pupils taking exams this year. I ultimately agree with you on the appeals process.
Original post by dani_05
Hi @RazzzBerries, thanks for that. Best wait until the government publishes the plan on the 22nd February to confirm anything :smile:

Deffo :yep:

Thanks for clarifying it wasn't confirmed - the last thing we want is misinformation to spread too! TSR's got loads of plans in place to make sure as soon as we get news we will get it out to you guys. There'll be support available too.

Fingers crossed you guys get the desired outcome!
Reply 14
ohhh ok. the meetings idea sounds good. I really hope the government does something to ensure everyone gets the grades they deserve.

Yeah @helloiambored, the whole exam thing has been confusing and I understand it's hard because of the pandemic but the government have been awful. Hopefully, if the government confirm that we will be having one to one meetings instead of exams, then it will ensure everyone gets good grades. Good luck and I hope you get the grades that you want! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by David3686
Thank you, hope you are well too.

What I mean is that these mini-exams that the govt wanted us to do, they should be replaced by a full exam series held during May/Start of June. I get what you are saying about grades being given out in May but I believe that if we get grades by April, it will give those who are not satisfied enough time to revise for these optional exams. If they are given out in May, there will be a short period of time (more or less 1 month) for those to revise to get the grades they deserve. Additionally, If these exams are held during the times I said, it will take around 5-6 weeks for papers to be marked, or even less because they may be a smaller amount of pupils taking exams this year. I ultimately agree with you on the appeals process.

Hi @David3686, thanks for your clarification. Ultimately I agree with you however, I do think the full exam serious should be optional because I know a lot of students have been disadvantaged and we all know the remote learning just isn't the same as face to face learning in terms of quality. Thanks for your opinion and I hope you get the grade you want. Good luck! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by RazzzBerries
Deffo :yep:

Thanks for clarifying it wasn't confirmed - the last thing we want is misinformation to spread too! TSR's got loads of plans in place to make sure as soon as we get news we will get it out to you guys. There'll be support available too.

Fingers crossed you guys get the desired outcome!

No worries @Razzberries, thanks for your well wishes and I wish you all the best in the future. Stay safe, healthy and well! :smile:
Original post by dani_05
No worries @Razzberries, thanks for your well wishes and I wish you all the best in the future. Stay safe, healthy and well! :smile:

You too! :heart:
Original post by dani_05
Hi @David3686, thanks for your clarification. Ultimately I agree with you however, I do think the full exam serious should be optional because I know a lot of students have been disadvantaged and we all know the remote learning just isn't the same as face to face learning in terms of quality. Thanks for your opinion and I hope you get the grade you want. Good luck! :smile:

PLEASE just stop this speculation - it really isn't helpful at all.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
PLEASE just stop this specialtion - it really isn't helpful at all.

Hi @Muttley79, I've got to be honest, I had to google the definition for 'speciation' and I still don't really understand it :smile:

I'm not trying to be rude but I hope you do realise you don't have to click onto this discussion. We're just two individuals discussing our ideas of what would be the most appropriate thing to do as if you haven't realised yet, the government have been useless at providing some clear information

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending