The Student Room Group

A university I'm overqualified for wants me to do a foundation year

I don't want to say which one, but I applied with nearly a full letter grade over their entry requirements, and with relevant qualifications in both GCSE and A Levels. Yet they've told me they'll only accept me if I take a foundation year.
I'm so confused. I can't be alone here, can I? Because now I'm worried maybe I had the wrong grades put on my application, and/or my personal statement was just abysmal somehow and it made them untrusting of my abilities. My parents think it's just the Uni trying to get another 9k out of me.
Did you do the required A-Levels ?
Reply 2
Call their admissions and ask why
Reply 3
Original post by Limoncello
Did you do the required A-Levels ?

Yes - I'm applying to video game development and I have a computer science GCSE and A Level (or will)
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
Call their admissions and ask why

I contacted them, still waiting to hear back.

Like your icon, as a side note ;D
Reply 5
Original post by RainbowWorm
I contacted them, still waiting to hear back.

Like your icon, as a side note ;D

If you phone them you'll probably hear back a lot faster

also thanccs [noparse]:biggrin:[/noparse]
Yes - I'm applying to video game development and I have a computer science GCSE and A Level (or will)

Were you asked to submit a portfolio?
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Were you asked to submit a portfolio?

No, they don't ask for them.
No, they don't ask for them.

Ask for more feedback on the reasons for rejection from Yr 1 entry then.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Ask for more feedback on the reasons for rejection from Yr 1 entry then.

They haven't responded yet, and I'm scared if I phone too they'll see me as whiney and naggy, so hahaha idk what to do
They haven't responded yet, and I'm scared if I phone too they'll see me as whiney and naggy, so hahaha idk what to do

If you think you meet all the requirements for Yr 1 entry and they haven't explained why you haven't then it isn't whiney or naggy - it's asking a reasonable question
Do you the necessary Maths requirement. This is often necessary for Computer courses. Possibly at GCSE.
I don't want to say which one, but I applied with nearly a full letter grade over their entry requirements, and with relevant qualifications in both GCSE and A Levels. Yet they've told me they'll only accept me if I take a foundation year.
I'm so confused. I can't be alone here, can I? Because now I'm worried maybe I had the wrong grades put on my application, and/or my personal statement was just abysmal somehow and it made them untrusting of my abilities. My parents think it's just the Uni trying to get another 9k out of me.

Hi @RainbowWorm, this is a great question. Foundation years can be offered for a number of different reasons, we would always recommend contacting the admissions department at the university you have applied to. There is no harm in calling them if you want to, we hope you get the answers you need. Have a great week :smile: ^Kate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending