The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

is loughborough a prestigious university

Like is it considered good and does it have a good reputation ?

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely! Both my siblings studied chemical engineering and postgraduate. They have one of the top sports facilities in the nation. I believe they are in the top 10 universities in the uk.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Is it considered good? Yes, it's pretty good. An university that's known for teaching and student service.
Is it a prestigious university? It depends. Its sports should THE best in this country. Its engineering is decent. But "prestigious" is quite a word.
If you can define what you mean by 'prestige' - and how you measure it - then I might be able to tell you.

For help Choosing Firm and Insurance choices - read this - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
If you can define what you mean by 'prestige' - and how you measure it - then I might be able to tell you.

For help Choosing Firm and Insurance choices - read this - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices

like is it imperial or ucl level
Original post by jackiejan

No of course not, that should be reflected in the grades they are asking for
Not the most prestigious in the UK but definitely respected a lot in this country for anything related to sports, eg sport science

If you only talk about the brand name, there is an apparent gap...

Its very good university and is well regarded.
prestige is very much opinionated and its not digital (i.e. yes or no) its analogue, their is a gradient in perceivable prestige.

id say generally in engineering and sports its near the top of the pile amongst UK universities, in general its strong but not in the most elite brackets of UK universities.

No. It's generally a good uni but not like UCL level. My cousin did architecture at Loughborough but then dropped out since he hated the nightlife and how all his classmates were just getting drunk. He now has a good salary working as an architect at a corporate company. It's definitely not the most academic uni, but I guess everyone experiences uni differently.
Reply 10
Original post by Caz1234567
No. It's generally a good uni but not like UCL level. My cousin did architecture at Loughborough but then dropped out since he hated the nightlife and how all his classmates were just getting drunk. He now has a good salary working as an architect at a corporate company. It's definitely not the most academic uni, but I guess everyone experiences uni differently.

Would you say its not a good uni for economics ?
It's No.1 in the world for sport, I believe - and it's top 10 in every major UK league table. So, yes, it has an amazing reputation!
Also, the teaching seems to be of a great quality, and the campus is gorgeous. I got an offer but unfortunately a top RG uni got me first 😂
Reply 12
Original post by Alishalol
Not the most prestigious in the UK but definitely respected a lot in this country for anything related to sports, eg sport science

No, it's not good for economics. The only reason it's considered good is because of its amazing sports and engineering departments. So, if you're not doing sports or engineering, I wouldn't go.

It is pretty good for economics - in the top 20 say but not in the top 10.

Nottingham is better which is close to Loughborough geographically and also a much nicer city.

Hi @jackiejan,

Did you know we are one of the top-10 business schools in the UK, we have a 40-year track record of developing innovative managers and successful business leaders sought after by leading employers! Loughborough does very well in terms of employability - we are 1st for student-employer connections (QS Graduate Employability Rankings, 2020), so I would say Loughborough graduates are highly sought after by employers!

You may also find this information about of BSc Economics course helpful - a large proportion (70%) of our Economics students go on placement each year, This is because we were one of the institutions that pioneered this and it is part of the Schools’ culture. 35% of students return from placement with a firm graduate job offer, and another c.15% with a verbal offer.

I hope this information is helpful.
Ella :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi @jackiejan,

Did you know we are a top 10 university in every national league table, and as one of the top-10 business schools in the UK, we have a 40-year track record of developing innovative managers and successful business leaders sought after by leading employers! Loughborough does very well in terms of employability - we are 1st for student-employer connections (QS Graduate Employability Rankings, 2020), so I would say Loughborough graduates are highly sought after by employers!

You may also find this information about of BSc Economics course helpful - a large proportion (70%) of our Economics students go on placement each year, This is because we were one of the institutions that pioneered this and it is part of the Schools’ culture. 35% of students return from placement with a firm graduate job offer, and another c.15% with a verbal offer.

I hope this information is helpful.

Not too 10 for Economics though
Original post by harrysbar
Not too 10 for Economics though

Hi @harrysbar,

Apologies if I wasn't clear above - Loughborough is consistently ranked as a top 10 UK business school and we are also Top 10 in the UK for Economics according to The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020.

We understand that rankings aren't everything though and at the end of the day the most important thing is choosing a university that is right for YOU. I studied both my undergraduate degree and master's degree at Loughborough so if anyone has any questions about life at Loughborough and wants to find out more about whether this is the right University for you, please feel free to ask!

Personal opinion on rankings is to ignore them, the methodologies are fairly arbitrary, whether the underlying data is even representative of what it claims is very questionable, unis can easily move up 10 places in a year just by playing the system without making any difference to students courses and the high fluctuations annually are unrealistic and show they are a waste of time (imo).

But a Loughborough uni TSR spokesperson has made an active point to advertise they are top 10 in all UK rankings, but then when you look at the specific subject at hand that turns out not to be the case (in either of the CUG or Guardian tables in either the last 2 years). Now by this criteria Loughborough economics miss out on this coveted status in the specific subject at hand, despite earlier implying top 10 in a newspaper ranking is something notable about said uni.

Just goes to show how ridiculous the whole spam advertising of being a Top 10 uni really is.

That depends how you define your terms. Do you like the course and the environment?

It is obviously not at the level of Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial or LSE for international recognition. It really depends on how high you're aiming, and how well you'd do at a specific university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending