The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Postgraduate Application Thread 2021

Scroll to see replies

Got an offer from St Andrew's today... so putting aside leeds and notts for now.. the only tie breaker left is edin, but they seem to be really busy this year 😅
Gosh I'm tired of refreshing and checking my email every 15 mins for the ONE mail 😔
Reply 21
Has anyone else applied to Msc Speech and Language Technology
Original post by esw1g18
Has anyone else applied to Msc Speech and Language Technology

well i applied for MSc Comp-Sci... havent heard back yet...
Reply 23
Hi all - great to see this thread! Haven’t been on TSR since my masters application in early 2018! Ah the memories. Received an unconditional offer for PhD Politics just over a week ago.

Submitted application first week of Jan, after speaking to a potential supervisor from early December. Would say to all those still waiting, have patience, but if it’s been aaages maybe try the programme lead at your department? Though I get the impression departments are also more tied up than usual organising online undergrad teaching, which may have knock on impacts for us.

Also, this is really far down the line, but for those (like me!) who are pretty dead set on Edin, any thoughts on accommodation? Had a less than ideal experience in university accommodation (even though was all postgrads) on my masters, so think I will be looking for private rented.

Cheers all - maybe see some of you in the autumn, covid permitting!
Reply 24
Any data points on how long everyone’s applications spent/are spending at the “Being Processed” stage on MyEd? I’m not quite sure what goes on behind the scenes in that stage since the next one is “All Details Received” (so perhaps they are simply still verifying info still?). Mine switched from New to Being Processed on February 4 (and I submitted Jan 18). No update since then. I’m beginning to worry that it’s a bad omen since I see so many others getting their offers within days of submission! FWIW, I applied for the MSc in Carbon Management.
Original post by 2455left
Any data points on how long everyone’s applications spent/are spending at the “Being Processed” stage on MyEd? I’m not quite sure what goes on behind the scenes in that stage since the next one is “All Details Received” (so perhaps they are simply still verifying info still?). Mine switched from New to Being Processed on February 4 (and I submitted Jan 18). No update since then. I’m beginning to worry that it’s a bad omen since I see so many others getting their offers within days of submission! FWIW, I applied for the MSc in Carbon Management.

Lol I submitted mine early December and my status is still at new! This holdup is becoming a bit frustrating.
How long did it take for people to receive their MyEd details after submitting their application?
I received an offer for an MSc in Art History two days ago! I'm so excited. I submitted my application on January 17th, application changed from "being processed" to "ready for a decision" on February 15th and I revived an unconditional offer on February 16th!

For any other offer holders that are set on Edi, I started a WhatsApp group for incoming postgrads if you'de like to join! Just DM me your phone # :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by NoMark99
How long did it take for people to receive their MyEd details after submitting their application?

It took mine a couple days to arrive.
It took mine a couple days to arrive.

Ah okay, thank you!
Reply 30
Original post by Brookej0hnson
Lol I submitted mine early December and my status is still at new! This holdup is becoming a bit frustrating.

!!! That's a long time to wait!! Have you contacted the school yet? The wait can be excruciating...
!!! That's a long time to wait!! Have you contacted the school yet? The wait can be excruciating...

I've emailed them twice and have gotten no response. It's now been 4 weeks since I sent the first email. If the status was changed to "being processed" I would be fine and I wouldn't mind waiting but the fact that they haven't even looked at my documents is a bit concerning.
Original post by futureeco/fin
H guys, I received my rejection letter this Monday for my MSc in economics. best of luck to everyone that is starting this September or is still waiting for an offer.

May I ask when you applied? I applied at the end of December but am yet to hear back, it's just been 'on hold' for about two months even though I've got all the sections ticked on myed
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 33
hi! hopping off another thread does anyone know much of anything about the msc creative writing? i applied based mostly on vibe and lack of application fee (and city and general english department reputation) but i can't find much specific about student experience/alums/program reputation

i'm pretty sure it's a newer course and a hell of a city to just hang out and write in but i'm ?? looking kind of desperately for any insights at all
Reply 34

Mine changed to being processed around the 1st of Feb, and it's still at that stage. I submitted on December 26th, and my recommendation was submitted a week later. The wait sucks, but my programme did mention that they send out most decisions only after the 31st of March so I'm trying (and failing) not to think too much about it.

If yours is on a rolling basis, I'd wager you could email them for an update however, the waiting time for decisions is about 6 weeks once you've submitted. Do you know any other people in the same programme who have received a decision?
Reply 35
Original post by crrs
hi! hopping off another thread does anyone know much of anything about the msc creative writing? i applied based mostly on vibe and lack of application fee (and city and general english department reputation) but i can't find much specific about student experience/alums/program reputation

i'm pretty sure it's a newer course and a hell of a city to just hang out and write in but i'm ?? looking kind of desperately for any insights at all

Have you tried looking students up on LinkedIn? Just search for some variant of "creative writing Edinburgh" and names should pop up. You can reach out to them on the platform itself.
Reply 36
Original post by SR22
Have you tried looking students up on LinkedIn? Just search for some variant of "creative writing Edinburgh" and names should pop up. You can reach out to them on the platform itself.

ooh that's a great idea! for some reason it didn't even occur to me--thank you!!
Hi. Is anyone hoping to study for a master's in English? The application deadline closes in July. On the back of my second-year performance, I expect to leave Durham with a decent first-class degree, but, given that it's this late in the year, I'm not optimistic about my chances of admission. To your knowledge, how expensive is it to live in Edinburgh?
Original post by blissfuljim
Hi. Is anyone hoping to study for a master's in English? The application deadline closes in July. On the back of my second-year performance, I expect to leave Durham with a decent first-class degree, but, given that it's this late in the year, I'm not optimistic about my chances of admission. To your knowledge, how expensive is it to live in Edinburgh?

Hi there! I applied a few weeks ago to the Literature and Modernity MSc at Edinburgh :smile: I've been living in Edinburgh for four years now and rent is pretty expensive if you want somewhere in the city centre, but there are defo cheaper options if you manage to sniff them out
Reply 39
Original post by SR22
Mine changed to being processed around the 1st of Feb, and it's still at that stage. I submitted on December 26th, and my recommendation was submitted a week later. The wait sucks, but my programme did mention that they send out most decisions only after the 31st of March so I'm trying (and failing) not to think too much about it.

If yours is on a rolling basis, I'd wager you could email them for an update however, the waiting time for decisions is about 6 weeks once you've submitted. Do you know any other people in the same programme who have received a decision?

That's good to know! Thank you. It's a good reminder that every programme operates differently, so it's probably not wise to compare my timeline to another in a totally different department. In their most recent email, the university said they'd send out decisions by March 15th. I go back and forth between having a ton of hope and having none haha. I don't know anyone else who has received a decision (or applied for that matter) to my programme. I know I submitted a good PS, my best possible reference, and great undergrad grades, but I'm not sure if my lack of professional experience will be my downfall... I'll have to wait and see!

Best of luck in waiting until March 31st! It can feel impossible! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending