The Student Room Group

Rishi Sunak's First Year As Chancellor

The great man has just completed his first year in office. Congratulations to him!

eVr1uuOq_400x400.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Woohoo! Also great to have someone with Asian and African routes in a high place in Politics!
Reply 2

Well done Sunak.
Reply 3
I take it the post/replies are in jest/sarcasm?

In just 12 months he has:
- Had the economy into the worst recession in over 200 years;
- Created the worst deficit both in absolute terms ever and as a proportion of GDP the worst since at least WWII;
- Overseen umployment rising by a quarter.

On the plus side he has:
- Created a significant improvement in the trade deficit;
- Overseen the savings ratio improving significantly;
- Driven sterling higher.

On balance the negatives outweigh the minuses.
Original post by Quady
I take it the post/replies are in jest/sarcasm?

- Created the worst deficit both in absolute terms ever and as a proportion of GDP the worst since at least WWII;

On the plus side he has:
- Created a significant improvement in the trade deficit;
- Overseen the savings ratio improving significantly;
- Driven sterling higher.

On balance the negatives outweigh the minuses.

My post was not sarcasm
That's quite a bill the Conservatives have ran up in the last year but no worry, they can leave it to the next generation to lay it off.
Original post by Quady

I don't think you can blame Rishi for the effects of the pandemic.

The scientific advisors told the government to implement a national lockdown, the government followed their advice and inevitably the economy has suffered. It wouldn't have mattered who the Chancellor is, be it a Labour or Conservative one, we would have still seen a huge spike in unemployment and a severe recession.

I think Rishi deserves praise for creating the furlough scheme which limited the unemployment spike; he has also maintained a fiscal stimulus to keep the housing market and hospitality going as best he can. It's pointless throwing around criticism for something no Chancellor could have prevented.
Original post by JOSH4598

The scientific advisors told the government to implement a national lockdown, the government followed their advice and inevitably the economy has suffered. It wouldn't have mattered who the Chancellor is, be it a Labour or Conservative one, we would have still seen a huge spike in unemployment and a severe recession.

I think Rishi deserves praise for creating the furlough scheme which limited the unemployment spike; he has also maintained a fiscal stimulus to keep the housing market and hospitality going as best he can. It's pointless throwing around criticism for something no Chancellor could have prevented.

Much agreed, no one else has been put in this situation before. Some of his decisions worked great, others did not but whoever was chancellor through the pandemic was they all would have made some good and some bad decisions.
Reply 8
Original post by JOSH4598

He is a senior member of Cabinet so is accountable. Espdcially with regard the economy which is his remit.

GDP in Ireland rose 3% under Paschal Donohoe in 2020. How the hell did Sunak manage a 10% fall.
Reply 9
Original post by Quady
He is a senior member of Cabinet so is accountable. Espdcially with regard the economy which is his remit.

GDP in Ireland rose 3% under Paschal Donohoe in 2020. How the hell did Sunak manage a 10% fall.

You are suggesting we should have had less lockdowns and more deaths! :colonhash:
Reply 10
Original post by Buddingdentist08
Much agreed, no one else has been put in this situation before. Some of his decisions worked great, others did not but whoever was chancellor through the pandemic was they all would have made some good and some bad decisions.

Spanish flu was fake news then?

And countries with which the UK shares a land border didn't perform as well as they claim economically over the last 12 months?
Reply 11
Original post by Rakas21
You are suggesting we should have had less lockdowns and more deaths! :colonhash:

Yup? Well potentially, nobody knows. We have no idea what the lockdown will mean for life expectancy. Personally I doubt lockdown is helping the health of the nation, my wasteland is no trimmer. Good for Legal and General shares though.

Though I don't think Ireland has had more deaths per capita than Northern Ireland yet one increased GDP 3% and the other had it fall 12%.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Quady

Ah yes, I suppose if Corbyn had been elected, then Covid would never have existed
Original post by Quady
Spanish flu was fake news then?

And countries with which the UK shares a land border didn't perform as well as they claim economically over the last 12 months?

the spanish flu was 100 years ago. don't even try and compare

every country is different. different resources, different population density, different people
Original post by -Imperator-
Ah yes, I suppose if Corbyn had been elected, then Covid would never have existed

haha!
Reply 14
the spanish flu was 100 years ago. don't even try and compare

every country is different. different resources, different population density, different people

haha!

Right.... just it was you that said nobody has been in this this situation before. If by that you meant 'nobody else has been Sunak over the last 12 months' then that is true.
Reply 15
Original post by -Imperator-

Whats Corbyn got to do with anything? CV19 probably existed at the last General Election and McDonald would likely have been Chancellor had Corbyn been made PM.
Original post by Quady
He is a senior member of Cabinet so is accountable.

There's a difference between accountability and blame. I don't doubt he is accountable for the government's economic management, but he can't be blamed for the impacts of the pandemic.
Original post by Quady
Right.... just it was you that said nobody has been in this this situation before. If by that you meant 'nobody else has been Sunak over the last 12 months' then that is true.

Nobody has been in this situation before, it was an accurate point. There's hardly a line of former Chancellors who all have a wealth of experience in managing the economics of a global pandemic. If there were, I'm sure Rishi would be on the phone to them quite frequently.
Reply 17

Like how different is Ireland to Northern Ireland on any of that?
Original post by Quady

nobody in recent years in the uk then. if ur being fussy
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Quady
Like how different is Ireland to Northern Ireland on any of that?

not very different no. but how different is ireland to other parts of the uk? very different

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending