The Student Room Group

Trinity College Dublin applicants 2020/2021?

Scroll to see replies

Hey! Do you mind If I ask where you're from? I guess TCD was your first option so you can get in. This is my 2nd year applying and I've put it first in the beginning and didnt get in it. I tried TCD as first again this time hope I get in. What are ur stats?are u taking the IB ?
Original post by pinkduvet
Thank you so much! I am an international student. Yes, I've applied through IUMC as well. What about you? If I recall correctly, were you around the 2021 Fastest & Slowest Senders thread? Don't know why but the name medschoolfanatic seems to stick in my head XD

Yeah that's correct its me! aahahah! did u apply to any unis in the UK? I have an IUMC interview and im up practicing rn. are the questions easy? im a bit worried.
Thank you so much! I am an international student. Yes, I've applied through IUMC as well. What about you? If I recall correctly, were you around the 2021 Fastest & Slowest Senders thread? Don't know why but the name medschoolfanatic seems to stick in my head XD

Hey! Do you mind If I ask where you're from? I guess TCD was your first option so you can get in. This is my 2nd year applying and I've put it first in the beginning and didnt get in it. I tried TCD as first again this time hope I get in. What are ur stats?are u taking the IB ?
Hi! I've applied to TCD, UCD, NUIG and UCC medicine this year. I have just done my interview with TCD today.

How's your application going?

Hi. Not heard back yet but still to send in my certificates etc. I actually decided to switch from Medicine to Dentistry at the last moment as I decided I wouldn't have had enough time to prepare for the HPAT and to register at that stage would have been a very expensive way of "just giving it a try". With Dentistry there's no admissions test required. Indeed I am actually genuinely on the fence about both careers having done extensive work experience in both. I couldn't withdraw my application and get a refund at this stage so I simply decided to switch to Dentistry and lets see how it goes.

How was the TCD interview? What sort of things did they ask you? You're an international student right? Where are you from? Where else have you applied outside of Ireland? Good luck with your applications :smile:
Hi! I am putting in a late application for TCD and was just wondering if anyone could clarify a) the UK's fee status this year and b) which application platform I should choose to apply through? I'm assuming I count as International now but I saw contradictory things about the fee status so I am feeling super confused! Thanks :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by bcjess123
Hi! I am putting in a late application for TCD and was just wondering if anyone could clarify a) the UK's fee status this year and b) which application platform I should choose to apply through? I'm assuming I count as International now but I saw contradictory things about the fee status so I am feeling super confused! Thanks :smile:

heyy I'm applying for Ireland Med too (just did the HPAT a few hours ago :O) and basically from what I remember reading UK students are treated like EU... I would email the CAO office just to make sure because I could be totally wrong (and I'm really sorry if I am) but I do remember reading that since I am also from the UK (but I dont really have to worry since I also have another EU passport) - again the CAO people are super nice and will clear it up.
CAO website: cao.ie
supporting website:
http://www.universitytimes.ie/2020/06/ireland-uk-fee-agreement-to-continue-into-2021-22-government-confirms/
hopefully someone else can also confirm or the CAO office answers :smile: best of luck
Original post by stemppp
heyy I'm applying for Ireland Med too (just did the HPAT a few hours ago :O) and basically from what I remember reading UK students are treated like EU... I would email the CAO office just to make sure because I could be totally wrong (and I'm really sorry if I am) but I do remember reading that since I am also from the UK (but I dont really have to worry since I also have another EU passport) - again the CAO people are super nice and will clear it up.
supporting website:
http://www.universitytimes.ie/2020/06/ireland-uk-fee-agreement-to-continue-into-2021-22-government-confirms/
hopefully someone else can also confirm or the CAO office answers :smile: best of luck

Thank you so much and I will do! Good luck with your med application too!!
Original post by stemppp
supporting website:

Good luck your application! May I ask, how did you find the HPAT?

You’d still be counted as a home student/EU student for this year but remains to be seen what happens next. I would assume/hope this will remain the same given the agreements of the Common Travel Area and how Irish citizens have equal rights to U.K. citizens in the U.K. and vice versa. But can’t say for certain.
Hey guys, I saw some of you have applied through IUMC, so did I!
You can join this thread and continue the discussion here if you'd like :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6918558

You apply through www.cao.ie. As you’ve missed the normal entry date you can pay the late application fee of €60 and submit your application by 1st May. Choose up to 10 courses and put them in your order of preference. This is important as, if you achieve the points for your top ranked course you’ll get it. Anything below will no longer be an option. You can change your ordering up until 1st July, after which everything is locked.
Original post by King_George_Weah
You’d still be counted as a home student/EU student for this year but remains to be seen what happens next. I would assume/hope this will remain the same given the agreements of the Common Travel Area and how Irish citizens have equal rights to U.K. citizens in the U.K. and vice versa. But can’t say for certain.

Thank you so, so much for the help. That's really cleared it up.

Original post by magicmark1
You apply through www.cao.ie. As you’ve missed the normal entry date you can pay the late application fee of €60 and submit your application by 1st May. Choose up to 10 courses and put them in your order of preference. This is important as, if you achieve the points for your top ranked course you’ll get it. Anything below will no longer be an option. You can change your ordering up until 1st July, after which everything is locked.

Okay perfect, that makes much more sense! Thank you so much for your help :smile:
Thank you so, so much for the help. That's really cleared it up.

Okay perfect, that makes much more sense! Thank you so much for your help :smile:

Also keep an eye out for their accommodation applications at TCD, on the accommodation section of their website. They open around late April/early May. You should apply for rooms at Trinity Hall where most first years are accommodated. You’ll get a provisional offer of a room in early summer which will be dependent on you getting a first round offer for your courses.
Reply 33
Original post by kalesalad
Good luck your application! May I ask, how did you find the HPAT?

Hey, HPAT was quite... interesting. I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss answers so I won't risk it, but yeah overall I'm really not sure some parts were like wtf others were alright. When I had 5 minutes left of Section 1 (and was really stressed for time) my proctors switched so they had to re-enable my camera or something and that burned a minute or two from my time so that was lovely (totally not their fault tho). Same thing happened for Section 2 :/

Did you also take the HPAT? If so how was it? And good luck with your application as well!! :smile:
Hi everyone! I’m applying for mature entry to medicine this year too. I did the HPAT over the weekend and it was pretty weird to be honest. It’s so hard to tell. I ran out of time on section 1 and just felt awful after it was done. Definitely glad it’s over haha. If anyone is applying as a mature student/international how are you preparing for the interviews?
Original post by Jeeennnnyyym
Hi everyone! I’m applying for mature entry to medicine this year too. I did the HPAT over the weekend and it was pretty weird to be honest. It’s so hard to tell. I ran out of time on section 1 and just felt awful after it was done. Definitely glad it’s over haha. If anyone is applying as a mature student/international how are you preparing for the interviews?

How much preparation did you do for the HPAT? I decided to withdraw my application for Medicine at the last moment due to a combination of factors, mainly due to not being able to have enough time to prepare (and I didn't think it was cost effective to proceed with the HPAT in that case) and because I am most likely not in a position to start Medicine this year (but wasn't going to defer). I decided to apply for Dentistry as I couldn't withdraw or get refund on my CAO application.

Are you applying with a degree in hand or school leaving qualifications? Are you from Ireland or elsewhere? Where else have you applied? Have you been invited to an interview yet? All the best.
I am an international student and applied straight from Trinity's website.
Still haven't received an interview invite. Have any of you?
Original post by stemppp
Hey, HPAT was quite... interesting. I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss answers so I won't risk it, but yeah overall I'm really not sure some parts were like wtf others were alright. When I had 5 minutes left of Section 1 (and was really stressed for time) my proctors switched so they had to re-enable my camera or something and that burned a minute or two from my time so that was lovely (totally not their fault tho). Same thing happened for Section 2 :/

Did you also take the HPAT? If so how was it? And good luck with your application as well!! :smile:

Oh no that must have been so stressful :frown: I'm sure you did well tho!

Yeah some questions were strange lol but otherwise it was alright. I think the practice questions I did for section 2 were really hard so in the exam I was like this isn't that bad but don't wanna get my hopes up. Thank youuu :smile:
Original post by King_George_Weah
How much preparation did you do for the HPAT? I decided to withdraw my application for Medicine at the last moment due to a combination of factors, mainly due to not being able to have enough time to prepare (and I didn't think it was cost effective to proceed with the HPAT in that case) and because I am most likely not in a position to start Medicine this year (but wasn't going to defer). I decided to apply for Dentistry as I couldn't withdraw or get refund on my CAO application.

Are you applying with a degree in hand or school leaving qualifications? Are you from Ireland or elsewhere? Where else have you applied? Have you been invited to an interview yet? All the best.

I decided kind of late to sit the hpat. I’d say I did about a month and a half of intense prep. Hours a day and I wasn’t doing particularly amazing in the practice tests so we’ll see how that goes. I’m applying with a non science degree in hand. I’ve also applied to RCSI and NUIG. What about you?

I’m from Ireland so I’m familiar with the system but not in a mature student context so hopefully that doesn’t work against me. I do regret not applying for dental science but I just don’t know if it was right for me tbh. Do they have any assessments to sub for the HPAT?
Original post by Jeeennnnyyym
I decided kind of late to sit the hpat. I’d say I did about a month and a half of intense prep. Hours a day and I wasn’t doing particularly amazing in the practice tests so we’ll see how that goes. I’m applying with a non science degree in hand. I’ve also applied to RCSI and NUIG. What about you?

I’m from Ireland so I’m familiar with the system but not in a mature student context so hopefully that doesn’t work against me. I do regret not applying for dental science but I just don’t know if it was right for me tbh. Do they have any assessments to sub for the HPAT?

Hi.

Did RCSI and NUIG say you could apply to them as a graduate for the mature student entry? When I enquired about this not only were they quite rude but insisted that mature entry was only open to non-degree holders and such they directed me towards graduate entry programmes. I certainly am aware this is the case for UCC but having just checked it appears RCSI are ok with this.

Here is the email:

Dear *************

Unfortunately students who hold a Level 8 degree with a 2:1 or more are ineligible for Mature Medicine at this university. With a 2:1 you are eligible to apply for Postgraduate Medicine Entry route which this university does not have. Some universities such as U.L, UCC and UCD have postgraduate medicine. Please research this route and contact the Admissions Department of the colleges to assist you.

All the best with your future studies.

Regards

Mature Students Officer

Access Centre | Áras Chathail |National University of Ireland, Galway| Ireland

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending