The Student Room Group

Graduate Schemes/Jobs

Hi,
I am currently in my last year of university, and through my own fault, didn't apply to any grad schemes or grad jobs. Nearly all deadlines have passed, and although I can try for a regular job, I would really like one where I can meet other people my age.

I was wondering if it was possible to apply for these as soon as I graduate (this September) so that I can start in 2022, a whole year after I have graduated?

Also, can I start a job in September this year, still apply for graduate schemes at that time, and then start next year (2022)?

Thank you very much for any help :smile:
Yeah you totally can! I’m class of 2020 and got onto a graduate scheme starting September 2021 so don’t worry about! If you have a job at the same time though you will be quite busy in the evenings doing apps and vid interviews, but it’s very possible. Just prepare to use some of your holiday days for assessment centres and interviews!
Original post by titanic222
Yeah you totally can! I’m class of 2020 and got onto a graduate scheme starting September 2021 so don’t worry about! If you have a job at the same time though you will be quite busy in the evenings doing apps and vid interviews, but it’s very possible. Just prepare to use some of your holiday days for assessment centres and interviews!

Ahh thank god, that's such a relief.

Honestly, I don't even know if I'm going to get a job since it's so challenging as I barely have any experience in my field and it's quite hard to get a job in this field as well (Software Engineering).
I was just wondering if by some stroke of luck I manage to land a job haha.

Also, just wondering if there's a minimum grade requirement for grad schemes? Do all of them need a 2:1 or higher?

Good Luck with your graduate scheme, hope it goes well :smile:

Thanks for the reply :smile:
Original post by LifelessStudent
Ahh thank god, that's such a relief.

Honestly, I don't even know if I'm going to get a job since it's so challenging as I barely have any experience in my field and it's quite hard to get a job in this field as well (Software Engineering).
I was just wondering if by some stroke of luck I manage to land a job haha.

Also, just wondering if there's a minimum grade requirement for grad schemes? Do all of them need a 2:1 or higher?

Good Luck with your graduate scheme, hope it goes well :smile:

Thanks for the reply :smile:

No worries and thanks so much!

The job market is quite tough so yeah it may be hard to get a job by sept, but if not defo work on passion projects / developing programmes / volunteering in a relevant role so you can build on your experience and have stuff to talk about in your interviews.

A lot of them do require 2.1 but some are 2.2. It just depends on the programme. You can start planning which companies you want to apply to from now and have them in an excel so you’re ready to do tonnes of applications come next autumn!
Hi,
I am currently in my last year of university, and through my own fault, didn't apply to any grad schemes or grad jobs. Nearly all deadlines have passed, and although I can try for a regular job, I would really like one where I can meet other people my age.

I was wondering if it was possible to apply for these as soon as I graduate (this September) so that I can start in 2022, a whole year after I have graduated?

Also, can I start a job in September this year, still apply for graduate schemes at that time, and then start next year (2022)?

Thank you very much for any help :smile:

I applied in my final year and after I graduated. May be a advantage having more time to dedicate to apps. I would still seek out regular grad role.
Original post by titanic222
No worries and thanks so much!

The job market is quite tough so yeah it may be hard to get a job by sept, but if not defo work on passion projects / developing programmes / volunteering in a relevant role so you can build on your experience and have stuff to talk about in your interviews.

A lot of them do require 2.1 but some are 2.2. It just depends on the programme. You can start planning which companies you want to apply to from now and have them in an excel so you’re ready to do tonnes of applications come next autumn!

The thing is, I made a list of companies to apply to in the summer holidays, and then completely missed the deadlines as I had exams and cw constantly and I didn't manage my time well, so it's just interview prep I need to do :redface:

I'm worried about the 2:2 because we have exams from home due to Covid, and the marks get moderated crazy. I didn't get a single module over 60% in my 2nd year which brought my overall total down quite a bit as I got over 70% in a few modules in 1st year.

I'm already working on some projects on my own so hopefully that will be good :smile:

Edit: Just wondering if you were okay with me asking what you did in the year between graduation and starting your grad scheme? Thanks :colondollar:

Thanks for all your help, it is really appreciated :h:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by route255
I applied in my final year and after I graduated. May be a advantage having more time to dedicate to apps. I would still seek out regular grad role.

So did you not get in when you applied in your final year, and then applied after graduation to start the following year?

I'm a bit unsure of what you mean by "more time dedicated to apps" :redface:

I am looking for grad roles, but unfortunately, they seem to be mostly gone. There are a few so I am trying to improve my CV and interview skills for that :biggrin:

Thank you for the reply :h:
149 applications in 2020
Original post by Proxenus
149 applications in 2020

I don't understand what that means? :s-smilie:
The thing is, I made a list of companies to apply to in the summer holidays, and then completely missed the deadlines as I had exams and cw constantly and I didn't manage my time well, so it's just interview prep I need to do :redface:

I'm worried about the 2:2 because we have exams from home due to Covid, and the marks get moderated crazy. I didn't get a single module over 60% in my 2nd year which brought my overall total down quite a bit as I got over 70% in a few modules in 1st year.

I'm already working on some projects on my own so hopefully that will be good :smile:

Edit: Just wondering if you were okay with me asking what you did in the year between graduation and starting your grad scheme? Thanks :colondollar:

Thanks for all your help, it is really appreciated :h:

Ah good you’re prepared for that part then! Plenty of time to focus on interview technique beforehand too.

It’s possible schemes may be more understanding with grades for class of 2020/21 graduates, but again really depends on the business. Fingers crossed you still manage to get a 2:1, but if you get a 2:2 it won’t be the end of the world. Graduate jobs tend to be more flexible than schemes on that side anyway.

I got my offer in December so I mainly relied on my past experiences, but I had also had a short internship in the autumn that I was able to talk a lot about too.

Happy to help :smile:
So did you not get in when you applied in your final year, and then applied after graduation to start the following year?

I'm a bit unsure of what you mean by "more time dedicated to apps" :redface:

I am looking for grad roles, but unfortunately, they seem to be mostly gone. There are a few so I am trying to improve my CV and interview skills for that :biggrin:

Thank you for the reply :h:

I was meant to start a grad scheme last September but it was cancelled. I have struggled to find a grad job since. I dont have any experience so just looking for a foot in the door.

Quick Reply

Latest