The Student Room Group

A-Level Politics

What would people say a-level politics is like. I want to do it but want to see different perspectives on it.
Original post by Brad765
What would people say a-level politics is like. I want to do it but want to see different perspectives on it.

Hey! Im in year 13 and I do edexcel politics and government! Its 100% my favourite subject!
We get to follow all the recent political news by watching BBC news, Fox and CNN which give us new facts, statistics and case studies to use in our written essays. I really like this aspect because it keeps us update with parliament and international politics!
Its definitely a subject for people who like to debate! Debates following different social and moral aspects of our government are common yet there is always something new to learn. I personally really enjoy listening to all the different opinions!
Through Year 1 of the course, we focused on British Politics and Democracy, it was super engaging! Some units we learnt about (from the top of my head) were: First Past The Post, what it means to be democratic, pressure groups and the UKs leading political parties.
In year 2 we focused on American Politics, it was especially exciting due to the 2020 Presidential Election. We learnt about things like The US Supreme Court, checks and balances, The House and The senate.
Overall, Id say politics is a great and endearing subject for those who like to keep up to date with modern day politics while taking a particular interest in how our country is governed.
The highest mark essay on the edexcel paper is a 30 market which is relatively easy to tackle should you follow the appropriate structure!
Hope this helps and provides some insight for you :smile: x
Reply 2
Original post by oliviabaldwinnn
Hey! Im in year 13 and I do edexcel politics and government! Its 100% my favourite subject!
We get to follow all the recent political news by watching BBC news, Fox and CNN which give us new facts, statistics and case studies to use in our written essays. I really like this aspect because it keeps us update with parliament and international politics!
Its definitely a subject for people who like to debate! Debates following different social and moral aspects of our government are common yet there is always something new to learn. I personally really enjoy listening to all the different opinions!
Through Year 1 of the course, we focused on British Politics and Democracy, it was super engaging! Some units we learnt about (from the top of my head) were: First Past The Post, what it means to be democratic, pressure groups and the UKs leading political parties.
In year 2 we focused on American Politics, it was especially exciting due to the 2020 Presidential Election. We learnt about things like The US Supreme Court, checks and balances, The House and The senate.
Overall, Id say politics is a great and endearing subject for those who like to keep up to date with modern day politics while taking a particular interest in how our country is governed.
The highest mark essay on the edexcel paper is a 30 market which is relatively easy to tackle should you follow the appropriate structure!
Hope this helps and provides some insight for you :smile: x

Thank you so much! I’ve been debating whether to do it because it’s something I like talking about and always interests me. It’s just the writing aspect that I dislike.
Original post by Brad765
Thank you so much! I’ve been debating whether to do it because it’s something I like talking about and always interests me. It’s just the writing aspect that I dislike.

I've found that its not much writing at all! The 30 markers seem wordy but are relatively easy to tackle once you understand the structure. Other than the actual essays and mocks, its what you and your teacher make of it... my politics teacher would much rather us learn interactively through watching the news and engaging in conversation but I understand other teachers take the more tradition, "note-taking" response! If you like talking about it and it interests you then Id say defo go for it! Its a subject that never gets boring with constant, new issues surfacing and its super interesting to see how someones background reflects their personal political views!
Original post by Brad765

If you love Politics go for it. I am in year 2 of the course and it is a formulaic essay subject that will not require a huge amount of work. I wouldn't add much more to what Olivia said as it is spot on but on her point about style of teaching, it would be v wise to understand how the teacher teaches the course. Constant note-taking / Essay planning as a teaching style for politics can really turn a fascinating subject into a really tiresome one. From experience, a current affairs / interactive lense is not only far more satisfying to learn but is actually a better method of getting to grips with the course. If you have a more 'traditional' teacher and are not absolutely in love with the political diaspora you may become dissuaded from politics in general. Either way its a subject easily enjoyed outside of the classroom if the A-Level isn't for you!

Quick Reply

Latest