The Student Room Group

I just got rejected from the first work placement I applied to.

Any advice?

It all just feels so hopeless and out of my control. I've only applied to four placements (as I'm busy with my A levels which I'm doing this year), and I've already been rejected from one?

It's hard enough already to even find gap year placements with covid and being rejected doesn't help?

I suppose I'm also not used to rejection, but I just feel so powerless. I have a Cambridge offer for deferred entry for NatSci. I'm predicted all A*s. All my GCSEs are 9s. And yet I still got rejected without even getting through to interview?

Is it the degree? Is it the subjects? Am I overqualified? Underqualified? Is it because I'm a girl? Is it because I have a distinctively obvious non-British name? Or is it because I'm just a horrible person who nobody would ever want to hire who's just incredibly boring and has no fun hobbies?

I debate. I read. I play music. When I say what my hobbies are, some people ask what my "real" hobbies are. I just feel like a freak? No, I hate partying. I don't watch Netflix. I don't drink. The thought of loud noises makes me feel terrified and I feel like I'm just useless for social stuff? I think I might be autistic but undiagnosed (and I'm not sure what to do about it). I've been reading about that online, and it seems like my parents have so many autistic tendencies that I'm not sure what's normal? (My brother doesn't at all though). But would that be visible in an online job application that's not particularly long? Written using more complex language than this post without any question marks?

Or should I just accept that I've been rejected and it's nothing personal? I just feel that it's my fault and I must have done something wrong and maybe I should use a different name (like Charlie?)

My parents say that I should mention that I have British Citizenship on my CV - but it seems ridiculous? Would somebody named Adam Smith write that on his CV? Why are my grades that I worked hard for suddenly worthless?

Sorry - most of that was useless, but I just needed to say it to somebody. I can't tell my friends, as it would be ridiculous, but I actually feel so bad about this?
Reply 1
Sorry. That was very long.
its probably not personal, i wouldnt worry - theyre super super competitive, and in covid work placements are going to be very difficult anyway
Just a question as theres no context, what placement did you apply to?

I wouldnt think it would be personal, just keep trying and trying as nobody goes into the first interview ever and gets the job/placement 1st try. Maybe ask them for some feed back. See where you went wrong. Im sure they would be more than happy to tell you. Just think of it as a learning curve it only makes you better as an individual
It will be difficult for anyone trying to get a placement with covid. If you don't manage to get one then you can wait until things get better
Unfortunately, rejection is common in the work world, and COVID has only made things more competitive.

You can ask for feedback, but be prepared that it may be generic, and also you could put in a complaint if you believe your application hasn’t be considered fairly (but if you have no evidence then there’s likely little that can be done).

It is super hard to get rejected, so you’re allowed to feel upset, annoyed, disappointed etc but use this as a growing experience. You’ve still got 3 other applications, so you’ve still got chances to get a placement.
Reply 6
Original post by Lshort17
Just a question as theres no context, what placement did you apply to?

I wouldnt think it would be personal, just keep trying and trying as nobody goes into the first interview ever and gets the job/placement 1st try. Maybe ask them for some feed back. See where you went wrong. Im sure they would be more than happy to tell you. Just think of it as a learning curve it only makes you better as an individual

This engineering pre-university placement at an engineering consultancy called Arup - sorry about not including that!

Thank you so much for the advice.
Original post by Anonymous
This engineering pre-university placement at an engineering consultancy called Arup - sorry about not including that!

Thank you so much for the advice.

Oh wow ive heard of them as im in the construction kinda degree. Im sure there are plenty of other engineering firms! Just keep at it! Wish you the best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending