The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Chemistry Interview at Imperial

I have an interview at imperial for chemistry on the 20th Jan (but it's gonna be on Microsoft teams cos of covid) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or experiences of the process??? Like what type of questions they would ask you or if they asked you things from your personal statement. Thanks in advance!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by holly263
I have an interview at imperial for chemistry on the 20th Jan (but it's gonna be on Microsoft teams cos of covid) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or experiences of the process??? Like what type of questions they would ask you or if they asked you things from your personal statement. Thanks in advance!!!

My tip, as someone who did a year at Imperial studying a bioscience subject, DON’T go to Imperial. They do not care about their students. It’s a heartless place where unless you’re the smartest in your class, or an international student, no one gives a damn about you and would happily tear you down so they can succeed.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by holly263

Know your PS inside out. Know why you want to do chemistry. Make sure you read any books mentioned. Maybe do a little wider reading on chemistry. Then lastly make sure you relax for interview and don’t get tense or stressed. When or if they give you a problem in interview explain your thought process.
Forgot to add Imperial is not an easy place. Everyone there works hard and is smart.
Original post by Anonymous
Forgot to add Imperial is not an easy place. Everyone there works hard and is smart.

Also has one of the highest degree completion rates of 96.8% according to The Complete University Guide, ranked 4th in the UK for that particular metric just behind Cambridge, Oxford and LSE. So its tough, but the vast majority of people get through it.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/universities/imperial-college-london
Reply 5
I have an interview on the same date as you! What are your predicted grades? Because I don’t believe mine will be enough to actually get an offer
how did the interview go today? good luck to all
Reply 7
Hi, could u please share ur experience if u don't mind.im up for an interview next week and im not really sure on how to prepare. What questions did they ask? Were the chemistry related questions related to what u answered for the why chemistry question. Was it 20 min exactly and how did the divide the time?Thank u so much
I didn’t have an interview for chemistry. General advice.
Know your PS and application inside out.
Know why u want to do chemistry.
Know why u want to go Imperial.
Maybe an idea of what u want to do after graduating.
Don’t say u want to go to imperial because u didn’t get into oxbridge.
Maybe be interesting.
Hiya I was interviewed for chemistry with med chem in November and for me they asked about why I wanted to study chemistry (and what I found so interesting about it), then they asked me a bunch of questions relating to A Level content - in my case mostly about spectroscopy as my interviewers were experts in this field - and then a couple of extension questions based on what we’d discussed. Mine ran a little over 20 mins so it took about 25 and they give you the option to ask questions at the end of the interview (definitely a good idea to have a question in mind!). Overall it was very relaxed and they nudge you when you get stuck on an answer so don’t worry too much about that.
Reply 10
I hope your interview went well! Did they go deeper with your personal statement at all? And if you hadn’t yet covered something in school is there any way you could tell them during the interview? (but having a go at the questions of course despite not learning it)
Original post by FI2403
I hope your interview went well! Did they go deeper with your personal statement at all? And if you hadn’t yet covered something in school is there any way you could tell them during the interview? (but having a go at the questions of course despite not learning it)

just say you havent learnt it
Reply 12
On my interview it was exactly 20 minutes and they only had time to ask me 3 questions, why chemistry? Why imperial? Then asked me to draw the structure of a compound I hadn’t seen before but it was relevant to my personal statement. I hope this is useful!
Original post by FI2403

They haven't asked me about my personal statement. Just what got me motivated to study chemistry and what i found fascinating about it, why imperial and why chemistry in imperial. They asked me questions related to what i answered for what i found fascinating about chemistry. I haven't encountered a topic i didn't take but u could be honest with them and tell them u haven't covered the material yet. Good luck
Reply 14
Original post by FI2403

In my interview, they asked me to introduce myself and then went to ask me quite a lot of questions about things i mentioned in my personal statement. They then asked me off topic questions that loosely link to the chemistry syllabus to see how i handle unknown questions - they asked me arounf 2-3 questions i think. The interview was 20 mins - but it went really quickly
i am really scared, my decision will be out on Wednesday
i am really scared, my decision will be out on Wednesday

Have they replied? I had an interview on the 3rd of February and i still haven't heard from them yet. (chemistry department)
Reply 17
Have they replied? I had an interview on the 3rd of February and i still haven't heard from them yet. (chemistry department)

I had my interview on the 20th of jan and recieved an offer 3 weeks later - so dont worry!

i thought they would reply in 2 weeks, but i am still waiting oops
i thought they would reply in 2 weeks, but i am still waiting oops

I thought they will reply in a week 😅, it's been almost 3 weeks and still no answer, that worries me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending