The Student Room Group

gsce options :( help me pls

ok so I am choosing my GCSE options this week and I'm not entirely sure on what to do.

so i have my core subjects which r English lit and lan , math's , triple science , re, and a language which is Spanish.

I have to choose 3 more options and a reserve my other three i think i might do food tech as its not too difficult , history (defiantly)

I was thinking to either do fine art or photography but im not sure what r the pros and cons ?

thanks x
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
and my reserve is geography :smile:
Reply 2
??
wait, you've already chosen 8 subjects
and u need to choose 3 more...isnt that too many
normal art is a heavy workload - I don't know if the same is true for fine art so you might want to check that
Reply 5
Original post by ReadingMum
normal art is a heavy workload - I don't know if the same is true for fine art so you might want to check that

i think it is the same but I'll double check
Original post by #StressedStudent

my daughter had the same core and then 3 choices to make 11. It is not that uncommon
my daughter had the same core and then 3 choices to make 11. It is not that uncommon

ah ok i was just checking since my school only allowed 10 max.
Reply 8

Its my schools requirement I think they choose 2 out of my three other options depending on what I'm doing
Food tech is a lot of the biology and theory side of cooking I’ve heard (about sugars etc.) so make sure that you’re happy with learning that stuff as well as the actual cooking aspect :smile:
Original post by #StressedStudent

It is too many 😂 I did 8 gcses ( triple science being worth 3 gcses and english worth 2 gcses ) but it varies among schools
Reply 11
Original post by laurawatt
Food tech is a lot of the biology and theory side of cooking I’ve heard (about sugars etc.) so make sure that you’re happy with learning that stuff as well as the actual cooking aspect :smile:

thank you !
Hii
Basically art is you do bio pages you do work but it is difficult for mee i really did not like it I tried to change it but i was not able too , it was hard ( for mee :smile: ) ,
I choosed photography at first but than i changed it it was about learning about photographers and write about them alot you beed to be good at that because youre going to write aboyt photo aloott and also you take pictures for example of a special thing in the kitchen youre gonna have to take picturwes of places at youre house .
I hope that helps
Goodd luuckk 🤍✨:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Thafeery
Hii
Basically art is you do bio pages you do work but it is difficult for mee i really did not like it I tried to change it but i was not able too , it was hard ( for mee :smile: ) ,
I choosed photography at first but than i changed it it was about learning about photographers and write about them alot you beed to be good at that because youre going to write aboyt photo aloott and also you take pictures for example of a special thing in the kitchen youre gonna have to take picturwes of places at youre house .
I hope that helps
Goodd luuckk 🤍✨:smile:

thank you so much !!:smile:
Reply 14
Photography is way less stressful than Art, it didn’t feel like a subject tbh it was quite chill and enjoyable
Reply 15
Original post by hloop
Photography is way less stressful than Art, it didn’t feel like a subject tbh it was quite chill and enjoyable

ok thank so much :smile:
Food tech is much more than practicals so be warned. There is a lot of theory so you'd have to be happy with that.
I'd pick photography over art, it's more chill. Art has a massive workload, and can feel like a chore but if you love it, do it.
Reply 17
Original post by linedpaper
Food tech is much more than practicals so be warned. There is a lot of theory so you'd have to be happy with that.
I'd pick photography over art, it's more chill. Art has a massive workload, and can feel like a chore but if you love it, do it.

what is the theory like ?
any yes I've decided to do photography :smile: thx
Original post by pb22x5
what is the theory like ?
any yes I've decided to do photography :smile: thx

As far as I know, theory is learning about nutrition, food groups, food science, food safety (bit of Biology) why things work etc. I didn't do it, but my friends did- it seems pretty interesting though.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/food/gcse/food-preparation-and-nutrition-8585/subject-content
Here's the AQA specification, most boards will be the same. You can look at the content.
Reply 19
Original post by linedpaper
As far as I know, theory is learning about nutrition, food groups, food science, food safety (bit of Biology) why things work etc. I didn't do it, but my friends did- it seems pretty interesting though.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/food/gcse/food-preparation-and-nutrition-8585/subject-content
Here's the AQA specification, most boards will be the same. You can look at the content.

Thank you so much this is really helpful !!

Quick Reply

Latest