The Student Room Group

Help with advanced higher history

I have my AH History prelim next week and I just have no idea how to study for it, I need to know roughly 70 knowledge points and countless historian's quotes I just have no idea how to memorise them
Reply 1
Good luck! I do advanced higher as well but my school is so behind it’s ridiculous we haven’t even had a proper test yet I’m a bit stressed lol. The essays seem almost impossible to write. But I normally do mind maps and add each knowledge point to it or flash cards. Last year I tried to brainwash myself by listening to the knowledge points on repeat lol it’s. A struggle ahahahahaha
Original post by Ototot
Good luck! I do advanced higher as well but my school is so behind it’s ridiculous we haven’t even had a proper test yet I’m a bit stressed lol. The essays seem almost impossible to write. But I normally do mind maps and add each knowledge point to it or flash cards. Last year I tried to brainwash myself by listening to the knowledge points on repeat lol it’s. A struggle ahahahahaha

Aha I know I love the course but don't like studying for it! I'll try flash cards today, I've had tests for it but its always been knowing what topic is going to come up!
Reply 3
Original post by thepunmaster.e
Aha I know I love the course but don't like studying for it! I'll try flash cards today, I've had tests for it but its always been knowing what topic is going to come up!

Same I’ve applied for history at uni but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to do it lol. I’ve had 2 essays knowing the topic I think but doing an unseen one seems so hard. Studying for it is just so difficult cause it’s an essay subject
Original post by Ototot
Same I’ve applied for history at uni but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to do it lol. I’ve had 2 essays knowing the topic I think but doing an unseen one seems so hard. Studying for it is just so difficult cause it’s an essay subject

I applied for history too! Which unis did you apply to?
Reply 5
I applied for history too! Which unis did you apply to?

I applied to Edinburgh, glasgow, stirling and strathclyde. I also applied for social science at cale I got an offer for that but the rest I haven’t heard anything. My first choice is probably between Stirling, glasgow or strathclyde at the moment. Where did you apply?
Original post by Ototot
I applied to Edinburgh, glasgow, stirling and strathclyde. I also applied for social science at cale I got an offer for that but the rest I haven’t heard anything. My first choice is probably between Stirling, glasgow or strathclyde at the moment. Where did you apply?

I applied to St Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde. Congrats on your offer, I haven't back from any of them yet!
Reply 7
I applied to St Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde. Congrats on your offer, I haven't back from any of them yet!

I know it’s so annoying how long they are taking. I hope they get back to you soon! The wait is genuinely horrific I applied in November and didn’t hear till the start of February.
(edited 3 years ago)
Does anyone on this thread have any advice for writing good ADVH History essays? I keep getting around 15-17 out of 25 and my teacher says I'll just figure it out...so basically she's useless. I don't want to give up and can't anyways, so does anyone here know how to get almost full mark essays, and if so, do you know anywhere I can access examples?

I'm the only one is the subject as well for context as to why I can't ask my classmates...I don't have any...
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Original post by idk_2005
Does anyone on this thread have any advice for writing good ADVH History essays? I keep getting around 15-17 out of 25 and my teacher says I'll just figure it out...so basically she's useless. I don't want to give up and can't anyways, so does anyone here know how to get almost full mark essays, and if so, do you know anywhere I can access examples?

I'm the only one is the subject as well for context as to why I can't ask my classmates...I don't have any...

Hi! I currently study advanced history and I would say to improve you'll have to include historical debates right within the paragraphs you're writing, a maximum of three historians would do good and you don't even need to memorise quotes or their full names. Just don't name drop them, you have to actually deal with them and what the impact their views have on the topic you're studying. I found that finding more recent historians also help give the essays much more character, even a history professor would be good tbh. Also analysis is needed! rather than just stating the facts as you would in higher with minimal effort, you have to find nuances within the historians debate and the overall topic. Having a clear and direct line of argument also really helps because rambling on and on will add nothing to the whole essay you're arguing. I found it useful to actually listen to historians giving lectures on youtube because you begin to understand how they crafted their argument and the way they deliver it.

Honestly, when you understand a topic it begins to be realy easy to talk about it with vigour but when it's difficult I usually get low marks but that doesn't mean it'll fail you drastically. The exam is only three days away but best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest