The Student Room Group

Curly hair styling

I recently permed my hair and it is shoulder length. I'm not sure however what gel to use as I don't like when it goes crunchy.
Does anyone have any recommendations for what gel to use (preferably ones you can get in Superdrug) or any other styling tips.
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure what style the gel is for, but I have naturally curly hair. If I'm just wanting to make my curls look tidier or enhance them ill usually use a bit of mousse and oil
Reply 2
Original post by Chloecourtney
I'm not sure what style the gel is for, but I have naturally curly hair. If I'm just wanting to make my curls look tidier or enhance them ill usually use a bit of mousse and oil

Thanks, I'm a bit new to this and my friends recommend gel but I never really liked using it. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 3
I use Umberto Giannini curl jelly - it's in a pink tube.
Scrunch it through your hair while still wet and leave to dry naturally or use a diffuser then scrunch it out.
Most gels go at least a bit crispy because they're forming a cast around your curls and keeping them defined while your hair dries. The 'scrunching' part of the process is the most important really. I would definitely recommend reading up on the 'Curly Girl Method' for more tips
Reply 4
My hair wasn't exactly straight before lol it was like a lions mane when I woke up but I wanted a change so I cut it all off till shoulder length and permed it. It looks and feels so much better now lol. I hated my hair, especially when I straightened it. It was so fine that it looked horrible. lol Do you have any tips for me?
Imbue have some highly rated curly hair products so u can check those out in superdrug. Also John Frieda has a curl mousse that many ppl seem to use. I use herbal essences bee strong conditioner and dry my hair with a T-shirt rather than a towel and that calms some of the frizz so yeah hope this helps!
Original post by purple.rose
Imbue have some highly rated curly hair products so u can check those out in superdrug. Also John Frieda has a curl mousse that many ppl seem to use. I use herbal essences bee strong conditioner and dry my hair with a T-shirt rather than a towel and that calms some of the frizz so yeah hope this helps!

I like John Frieda's curly range. Also agree with the t-shirt for drying. Sleeping with your hair in a silk scarf or cap helps reduce frizz too :smile:
Loreal's 'no haircut cream' is good for protecting hair and shampoos/conditioners from herbal essences are great. Basically try to use less products and heat on your hair. I'm Asian and we swear by using oils for thick, healthy hair - personally really like almond because it isn't too thick and doesn't have an overly strong smell. You can apply it as a mask and then wash it out. So yeah find what works for you and good luck bc I know how hard it is to lose hair :frown:
Reply 8
My hair is naturally curly/wavy. And I love my curls, gives me character. But I like using foxy curls contour cream.
Reply 9
Nah, why. I have a full head of hair.
It does cause dandruff though.
Woah! £100! That's crazy. How old are you?
It might just be genetics. And good idea. I hear finasteride stops any further hair loss from occurring if you start from early. You have a 1% chance of catching side effects.
Nah, don't worry you are good, you won't catch side effects if you don't already have any medical conditions prior to taking the meds.
You are all good. Don't stress it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending