The Student Room Group

I want to Drop out in the first year of university

Okay, so essentially I am doing a course that I feel is way above my ability and even in first year I am struggling and in the verge of failing so imagine what 2nd and 3rd year would bring to the table.

Mental health: Secondly, both my depression and anxiety has amplified while starting the course as I am very lost with the content and struggling with everything. I am also dealing with severe imposter syndrome ( internal experience of believing that you are not as competent as others perceive you to be) where everyone around me seems to know what they are doing meanwhile I don't.

I know that if I continue this course I will end up failing and wasting 3 years of university. Instead I would like to drop out now (in the second semester/term) and reapply next year to do psychology which is something that I will enjoy. I would like some advise on what to do.
Reply 1
Which subject are you studying at the moment?
Original post by Kerzen
Which subject are you studying at the moment?

Biomedical science
You seem to be your own worst enemy. You got the grades to get into this course so you are bright enough. Your own demons are undermining you. First-year can be a struggle since adjusting to uni life can be hard; uni is much bigger than a school and the teachers don't really care. Covid and lockdown have made it 10 times worse. You are going to lose your fees if you choose to drop out now or in the Summer so I say hang in there for semester 2 and make a decision in the summer.

Imposter syndrome is common and lots of people around you that come off as being confident and assured are only 'faking it till they make it'.
Original post by 31shotscrazy
Okay, so essentially I am doing a course that I feel is way above my ability and even in first year I am struggling and in the verge of failing so imagine what 2nd and 3rd year would bring to the table.

Mental health: Secondly, both my depression and anxiety has amplified while starting the course as I am very lost with the content and struggling with everything. I am also dealing with severe imposter syndrome ( internal experience of believing that you are not as competent as others perceive you to be) where everyone around me seems to know what they are doing meanwhile I don't.

I know that if I continue this course I will end up failing and wasting 3 years of university. Instead I would like to drop out now (in the second semester/term) and reapply next year to do psychology which is something that I will enjoy. I would like some advise on what to do.

I feel the same way :frown:
but i feel like ive got ADHD and thats the reason i feel like this and am failing
im gonna get a diagnosis and check but rn i feel like im the only one in my course that is struggling so much and so unmotivated.
Original post by mike23mike
You seem to be your own worst enemy. You got the grades to get into this course so you are bright enough. Your own demons are undermining you. First-year can be a struggle since adjusting to uni life can be hard; uni is much bigger than a school and the teachers don't really care. Covid and lockdown have made it 10 times worse. You are going to lose your fees if you choose to drop out now or in the Summer so I say hang in there for semester 2 and make a decision in the summer.

Imposter syndrome is common and lots of people around you that come off as being confident and assured are only 'faking it till they make it'.

No, but I really do not have the foundation knowledge for this course, most people around me have done A levels in biology and such meanwhile I have no btec/a level science qualifications, all I had was basic knowledge from foundation year science.

I really feel like I will not survive this course if I continued so dropping out and applying for another course next year will probably be my next option.
Reply 6
No, but I really do not have the foundation knowledge for this course, most people around me have done A levels in biology and such meanwhile I have no btec/a level science qualifications, all I had was basic knowledge from foundation year science.

I really feel like I will not survive this course if I continued so dropping out and applying for another course next year will probably be my next option.

Would it be possible for you to make an appointment with a Counsellor at your University to discuss the way you feel?

If a transfer to another course is what is best for you ultimately, would Psychology at your current Uni be an option (subject to the Department's approval)?
Original post by Kerzen
Would it be possible for you to make an appointment with a Counsellor at your University to discuss the way you feel?

If a transfer to another course is what is best for you ultimately, would Psychology at your current Uni be an option (subject to the Department's approval)?

Yes, I was originally set on doing psychology but got presented with the opportunity to do another "better" degree, and just because a degree is better doesn't mean its the right on for me which is what I eventually realised.

The grass is not always greener. A psychology degree is not easy - typically you will need Chemistry or Biology at A level or both. If you have foundation year science you may jump over to psychology and find you are struggling there too. Why not see if a 2nd or 3rd year is willing to tutor you? Its easy money for them and it may give you the confidence you are seeking.
Original post by mike23mike
The grass is not always greener. A psychology degree is not easy - typically you will need Chemistry or Biology at A level or both. If you have foundation year science you may jump over to psychology and find you are struggling there too. Why not see if a 2nd or 3rd year is willing to tutor you? Its easy money for them and it may give you the confidence you are seeking.

Difference is I actually have an interest in psychology so can use that to do well in the subject, second, I've done psychology a level so I have an idea of what its like, yes its not the easiest subject in the world but will definitely be easier than biomed at degree level.

In terms of tutoring, haven't thought of that before, that's a good idea though.
Difference is I actually have an interest in psychology so can use that to do well in the subject, second, I've done psychology a level so I have an idea of what its like, yes its not the easiest subject in the world but will definitely be easier than biomed at degree level.

In terms of tutoring, haven't thought of that before, that's a good idea though.

Ok, if you have A level psychology then you know what you are getting into. Certainly, psychology is a great subject to study and with all the mental health issues in the UK because of lockdown you will be guaranteed a job with a psychology degree. We will all need counselling and help!
you should definitely change, if you know that it will be better for you! don't delay as it could end up being costly, follow ur intuition

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending