The Student Room Group

Am I weird?

I used to do this thing (and still do it now) where when I am excited or nervous I wave my hand really close to my face. Is that normal? Do I have ASD (Autism spectrum disorder)?

Scroll to see replies

We can't tell you if you have ASD. You need to be diagnosed by a professional for that.
Reply 2
Original post by LuluLove14
I used to do this thing (and still do it now) where when I am excited or nervous I wave my hand really close to my face. Is that normal? Do I have ASD (Autism spectrum disorder)?

That's a little abnormal, but we do not know you, so we can't tell you whether or not you have ASD, or any other medical problem. Have you spoken to your GP about this?
Original post by jackmarshal757
Shut up, just because you do something abnormal or weird, it’s not a sign you have ASD. Go make fun of some other disability, actually don’t, permanently log off thank you.

Yes, that was a terrible idea to tell the op to make fun of a disability different to the aforementioned one.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, that was a terrible idea to tell the op to make fun of a disability different to the aforementioned one.

I said don’t, read it again.
Shut up, just because you do something abnormal or weird, it’s not a sign you have ASD. Go make fun of some other disability, actually don’t, permanently log off thank you.

She's not making fun of ASD! She's just asking if she may have it. Other than telling her to permanently log off and saying "Shut up" which you should've learned back in school that it's not nice to say, go tell her to seek professional help just in case, IF she may have it. Not saying that she 100% has ASD, it's just in case if she has it. Just so she can get check out and see if she has ASD or if it's just Tourettes or just something unusual that she does.
She's not making fun of ASD! She's just asking if she may have it. Other than telling her to permanently log off and saying "Shut up" which you should've learned back in school that it's not nice to say, go tell her to seek professional help just in case, IF she may have it. Not saying that she 100% has ASD, it's just in case if she has it. Just so she can get check out and see if she has ASD or if it's just Tourettes or just something unusual that she does.

:ninja:

From someone who has autism, waving her hands in front of her face ‘weirdly’ is not a sign of ASD, you’d need a lot more to diagnose it which is why I told OP to stop assuming things just because she’s doing something ‘weird’.

This user is also a certified troll too
From someone who has autism, waving her hands in front of her face ‘weirdly’ is not a sign of ASD, you’d need a lot more to diagnose it which is why I told OP to stop assuming things just because she’s doing something ‘weird’.

Well, then ma'am or sir (Not going to assume genders) try and tell her it in a more mannerly way or NICER way.
This user is also a certified troll too

Are TSR giving certificates for it now??
Original post by harrysbar
Are TSR giving certificates for it now??

Well, then ma'am or sir (Not going to assume genders) try and tell her it in a more mannerly way or NICER way.

I don’t have to be nice to something like this, that’s not taking autism seriously.
Original post by LuluLove14

OH MY GOD MY FRIEND SCARLET DOES THIS. there doesn’t have to be anything wrong w u probs just a nervous tick
I don’t have to be nice to something like this, that’s not taking autism seriously.

Just to clarify, having autism doesn't stop you from showing kindness, being respectful and polite. :smile:
Not when people are making a mockery of autism, I have no time for lowlifes that do as such

She wasn't making fun of autism. Tell me how the OP was making fun of autism in any way.
Original post by RainbowCloud01
She wasn't making fun of autism. Tell me how the OP was making fun of autism in any way.

It’s the assumption that something weird or ‘abnormal’ automatically means it’s ASD. Read between the lines
It’s the assumption that something weird or ‘abnormal’ automatically means it’s ASD. Read between the lines

The thing is she didn't mean it in that way. Seeing as you have no idea what the OP means I will clarify for you. She thinks she may have ASD as when she is nervous she waves her hand really close to her face. This may be a tic of some sort but she is not sure. By posting this she is asking if people have experienced this before and what it could may mean. You need to think this through. She isn't making fun of autism in any way shape or form :smile:
Original post by RainbowCloud01
The thing is she didn't mean it in that way. Seeing as you have no idea what the OP means I will clarify for you. She thinks she may have ASD as when she is nervous she waves her hand really close to her face. This may be a tic of some sort but she is not sure. By posting this she is asking if people have experienced this before and what it could may mean. You need to think this through. She isn't making fun of autism in any way shape or form :smile:

I knew what the OP meant.

‘She thinks she may have ASD as when she is nervous she waves her hand really close to her face’.

This is exactly what I’m referring to though. It’s the assumption that any weird behaviour is an automatic sign of autism, if you don’t have autism then you won’t really understand what I’m talking about but it’s another reason why autism isn’t taken seriously in society.

‘She thinks she may have ASD as when she is nervous she waves her hand really close to her face’.

This is exactly what I’m referring to though. It’s the assumption that any weird behaviour is an automatic sign of autism, if you don’t have autism then you won’t really understand what I’m talking about but it’s another reason why autism isn’t taken seriously in society.

This is true.

She is no doctor. She is asking IF IT MAY be ASD but her we are back to base one. If autism is taken seriously or not in society is a topic for another day. I'm going to say this once more and I hope you understand, the OP is not making fun of autism in her post. She is just asking if what she does is a sign of ASD

Quick Reply

Latest