The Student Room Group

Making the switch

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could please kindly offer some advice.

I am currently completing a Primary PGCE course in England. Prior to starting the course, I felt I made a tough decision between applying for Primary PGCE and training to teach Literacy/English in Further Education (16+). I was interested in both at the time, however, I ended up choosing Primary and was lucky enough to get a place. I can honestly say I absolutely love the children, however, I now regret my choice to work in a Primary school, for numerous reasons. I honestly feel that I should of chosen FE. I feel like a failure in some ways, however, deep down I am struggling to ignore this gut feeling. Ideally, I want to finish this course (4 months left) for the valuable transferable skills and experience I am currently gaining however, what are my options in terms of pursuing FE? Does this course give me an initial step on the FE career path or am I back at square one? I would greatly appreciate any information.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by missc_93
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could please kindly offer some advice.

I am currently completing a Primary PGCE course in England. Prior to starting the course, I felt I made a tough decision between applying for Primary PGCE and training to teach Literacy/English in Further Education (16+). I was interested in both at the time, however, I ended up choosing Primary and was lucky enough to get a place. I can honestly say I absolutely love the children, however, I now regret my choice to work in a Primary school, for numerous reasons. I honestly feel that I should of chosen FE. I feel like a failure in some ways, however, deep down I am struggling to ignore this gut feeling. Ideally, I want to finish this course (4 months left) for the valuable transferable skills and experience I am currently gaining however, what are my options in terms of pursuing FE? Does this course give me an initial step on the FE career path or am I back at square one? I would greatly appreciate any information.

FE jobs tend to be competitive, and they don't require QTS. Teaching English in FE will be very different to teaching Primary (as I'm sure you're aware). I think you'd struggle to find employment with just a Primary PGCE- that's not to say it's impossible, but I think you would struggle.

When you say you want to teach FE, do you mean A-level, or do you mean to students who have struggled with English in the past?
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
FE jobs tend to be competitive, and they don't require QTS. Teaching English in FE will be very different to teaching Primary (as I'm sure you're aware). I think you'd struggle to find employment with just a Primary PGCE- that's not to say it's impossible, but I think you would struggle.

When you say you want to teach FE, do you mean A-level, or do you mean to students who have struggled with English in the past?

Thank you, I really appreciate your response. I'd like to teach A-Level but I also wouldn't rule out students who have struggled in the past. I understand it is quite a broad area. I hope to get into teaching 16+ whatever way possible. What could I do next in order to get there? Kind regards!
Original post by missc_93
Thank you, I really appreciate your response. I'd like to teach A-Level but I also wouldn't rule out students who have struggled in the past. I understand it is quite a broad area. I hope to get into teaching 16+ whatever way possible. What could I do next in order to get there? Kind regards!

Teaching A-level is a pretty popular job, so competition is fierce. It's hard to find NQT roles in FE, let alone when you've trained in primary!

If you've got QTS, my understanding is you could teach secondary- my suggestion would be to slowly work your way up. So initially try to get a job in secondary, and then gain some A-level experience, and then move over to FE. FE colleges will want someone with experience of teaching A-level, and ideally a track record of good results.

Alternatively, I'd suggest maybe doing supply work and trying to get your foot in the door that way.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Teaching A-level is a pretty popular job, so competition is fierce. It's hard to find NQT roles in FE, let alone when you've trained in primary!

If you've got QTS, my understanding is you could teach secondary- my suggestion would be to slowly work your way up. So initially try to get a job in secondary, and then gain some A-level experience, and then move over to FE. FE colleges will want someone with experience of teaching A-level, and ideally a track record of good results.

Alternatively, I'd suggest maybe doing supply work and trying to get your foot in the door that way.

Thank you! Again, I really appreciate the information, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending