The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan Entitlement

Hello

I just wanted to hopefully get some advice on my potential entitlement to maintenance loans for university study. I have two previous terms of study at university. I am fully aware that in terms of tuition I will need to pay the full amount for the first year due to the 4 years minus any previous years of study which leaves me with a total of 2 fully funded years.

My question is in regards to the maintenance loan entitlement. To keep it short; am I entitled to any form of maintenance loan? The reason I ask is because I see some people and websites post that I am not entitled to any support from SFE. I was under the impression that I would still be entitled to the full maintenance loan for the first year but not the tuition loan of £9k+

If it helps I would be classed as an independent student.

Thank you for the help!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by overlord44
Hello

I just wanted to hopefully get some advice on my potential entitlement to maintenance loans for university study. I have two previous terms of study at university. I am fully aware that in terms of tuition I will need to pay the full amount for the first year due to the 4 years minus any previous years of study which leaves me with a total of 2 fully funded years.

My question is in regards to the maintenance loan entitlement. To keep it short; am I entitled to any form of maintenance loan? The reason I ask is because I see some people and websites post that I am not entitled to any support from SFE. I was under the impression that I would still be entitled to the full maintenance loan for the first year but not the tuition loan of £9k+

If it helps I would be classed as an independent student.

Thank you for the help!

Hi,

The calculation we use to work out entitlement is: course length + 1 additional year - previous study = entitlement

If your new course is 4 years long and you have one year of previous study the calculation is 4+1-1 = 4 years of funding so you would be fully funded for your course.
If instead of 2 terms at university you mean you have had 2 years of previous study then for a new 4 year course the calculation is 4+1-2 = 3 years of funding and you have to self fund the first year.

If your new course is 3 years long then it's 3+1-2 = 2 years of funding available.

It's correct that you are entitled to the Maintenance Loan for the duration of your course.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi,

The calculation we use to work out entitlement is: course length + 1 additional year - previous study = entitlement

If your new course is 4 years long and you have one year of previous study the calculation is 4+1-1 = 4 years of funding so you would be fully funded for your course.
If instead of 2 terms at university you mean you have had 2 years of previous study then for a new 4 year course the calculation is 4+1-2 = 3 years of funding and you have to self fund the first year.

If your new course is 3 years long then it's 3+1-2 = 2 years of funding available.

It's correct that you are entitled to the Maintenance Loan for the duration of your course.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for the reply Isaac

I have studied at university twice before but left around Christmas time both times (2014 and 2016), I was under the impression that those will still technically count as using 2 years of funding in terms of tuition. The course that I'm hopefully starting in September will be 3 years + Placement, am I correct in assuming that this will be classed as a 3 year long course therefore equalling 2 years of funding in my situation?

Thank you again for the reply!
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you for the reply Isaac

I have studied at university twice before but left around Christmas time, I was under the impression that those will still technically count as using 2 years of funding in terms of tuition. The course that I'm hopefully starting in September will be 3 years + Placement, am I correct in assuming that this will be classed as a 3 year long course therefore equalling 2 years of funding in my situation?

Thank you again for the reply!

A 3 year course plus a placement year is a 4 year course.

With 2 years of previous study, your calculation will be 4+1-2 = 3 years of funding. You will be required to self fund the first year unless you have Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
You can still receive the Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
A 3 year course plus a placement year is a 4 year course.

With 2 years of previous study, your calculation will be 4+1-2 = 3 years of funding. You will be required to self fund the first year unless you have Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
You can still receive the Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Isaac

Hello again Isaac sorry to resurrect the thread I just had another question in regards to Maintenance. Would I be eligible to receive both the grant and the loan or would it just be the loan for the first year?

Thank you.

Edit: I have just realised Grants are no longer a thing if the course started after 2016 my mistake.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hello again Isaac sorry to resurrect the thread I just had another question in regards to Maintenance. Would I be eligible to receive both the grant and the loan or would it just be the loan for the first year?

Thank you.

Edit: I have just realised Grants are no longer a thing if the course started after 2016 my mistake.

Hi, do you have any dependents?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Hi, do you have any dependents?
Thanks, Isaac

I do not have any depends however I do fall in the category of independent due to age, I have applied for finance this week so I assume at some point someone will get back to me in regards to this? I only ask because I didn't see an option online for independent student, etc.
(edited 3 years ago)
I do not have any depends however I do fall in the category of independent due to age, I have applied for finance this week so I assume at some point someone will get back to me in regards to this? I only ask because I didn't see an option online for independent student, etc.

There are no grants available to you.
You can apply for the Maintenance Loan.

If you are over the age of 25 then you are automatically assessed as independent.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending