The Student Room Group

Police shoot black men dead for Jaywalking

Scroll to see replies

It really is sad. I know I will never know what it's like to be treated differently because of my race, but I do feel for those who are.
Reply 2
They're really trying to be just as worse as the Chinese aren't they? then all the Republicans use the victim card "U DON LIVE HERE, THERE NO RACISM HERE!"
"Shot dead for J walking"

I think you may have missed this bit,

"Shortly afterwards, one of the deputies shouts ‘He’s got my gun,’ with the other deputy firing two shots moments later. Reinhold was shot dead around three minutes after he was first apprehended by the deputies.
Original post by caravaggio2

"Shortly afterwards, one of the deputies shouts ‘He’s got my gun,’ with the other deputy firing two shots moments later. Reinhold was shot dead around three minutes after he was first apprehended by the deputies.

Whoops.

If you bothered to watch the various video footage available, you'd see it is very inconclusive about whether he was reaching for the police officer's gun in the scuffle but at no point did he have the officer's gun.

Of course, the big question is how the **** did police officers manage to escalate such a benign situation involving a man walking across the street into such a physical confrontation. It doesn't take a genius to understand if you don't want people to get hurt, you don't do that.
Reply 6

Original post by TCA2b
Whoops.

What they did is still very bad..
In a way He did get shot for Jaywalking, as it was his "Jaywalking" that led to the confrontation, then they tried to arrest him, then the scuffle .. which lead to him allegedly grabbing the gun (probably not intending to kill them as he never fired it)

I mean can you imagine in the UK being confronted and police trying to arrest you because you didn't cross the road at the pelican crossing?
"Jay Walking" is such a r3tarded law
The courts in the United States regard resisting arrest as a separate charge or crime in addition to other alleged crimes committed by the arrested person. It is possible to be charged, tried and convicted on this charge alone, without any underlying cause for the original decision to arrest or even if the original arrest was clearly illegal. What happened to this guy is exactly why resisting arrest is taken seriously. Grappling with a cop and taking his gun is very likely to lead to somebody getting shot.
Grappling with a cop and taking his gun is very likely to lead to somebody getting shot.

Can you direct me to a video that shows the victim here took the officer's gun?
Original post by Kitten in boots
Can you direct me to a video that shows the victim here took the officer's gun?

On the video shot from across the road you can hear the cop shouting several times "He's got my gun" at around 8:15
(edited 3 years ago)
On the video shot from across the road you can hear the cop shouting several times "He's got my gun"

That is the video I've seen. The video indicates that at no point in the confrontation, does the victim have the officer's gun.

Just because someone in a position of authority says something does not mean that it is true. Learn to question people rather than just mindlessly accepting what they say at face value as truth.
Reply 11
There is genuine issues around racial discrimination in the United States.

However, coming up with nonsense claims like someone was shot "for jaywalking" is not only ludicrous, it only serves to undermine the legitimacy of complaints against police action.

What you can see from the videos is a man clearly violently resisting arrest. Whether that is for littering or murder is immaterial, there is the same responsibility to control an arrested person. When trying to restrain him, a police officer shouts "he's got my gun". Now, that'll have to be investigated, but at that point - where there is a reasonable suspicion that someone has taken a gun, is now armed and is resisting arrest - there is a very real and legitimate concern for safety.

I see some people above questioning whether the man actually did have the police officer's gun. Again, that is a legitimate question - and, if incorrect, there will likely be some cause for a criminal charge for making that claim. However, it was not this officer that shot him, it was another one, who could well have been acting in a sincere belief that an angry, violent man struggling with them was now armed with a loaded gun.
Reply 12
Original post by ANM775
What they did is still very bad..
In a way He did get shot for Jaywalking, as it was his "Jaywalking" that led to the confrontation, then they tried to arrest him, then the scuffle .. which lead to him allegedly grabbing the gun (probably not intending to kill them as he never fired it)

I mean can you imagine in the UK being confronted and police trying to arrest you because you didn't cross the road at the pelican crossing?
"Jay Walking" is such a r3tarded law

Whether or not the law is stupid (and it is) - or even whether you're innocent - does not give you free rein to restrict a lawful arrest. That was the point at which a decision was made and a further, and far more serious offence, was committed.
Disgusting racism.

A black man can't even steal a police officers gun without being shot dead. If a white person had tried doing that they'd have just given him the gun.

This is almost as bad as that time that guy had a fatal drug induced heart attack after resisting arrest.
Reply 14
Original post by Starship Trooper
Disgusting racism.

A black man can't even steal a police officers gun without being shot dead. If a white person had tried doing that they'd have just given him the gun.

This is almost as bad as that time that guy had a fatal drug induced heart attack after resisting arrest.

If a white person had just been crossing the street, not at the pelican crossing (or whatever they call it over there) they probably wouldn't have bothered him in the first place...
Original post by ANM775
If a white person had just been crossing the street, not at the pelican crossing (or whatever they call it over there) they probably wouldn't have bothered him in the first place...

Even if that was true (and that's unprovable) that doesn't justify trying to take a cops gun.
Reply 16
Even if that was true (and that's unprovable) that doesn't justify trying to take a cops gun.

Jury's still out on that...
Original post by Kitten in boots
That is the video I've seen. The video indicates that at no point in the confrontation, does the victim have the officer's gun.

While grappling on the floor at 10:25 you see him looking at/ facing the gun on the cops hip, inches from his face. seconds after you see him reach for and grab hold of the gun on the cops hip then they role over and you lose sight of his hand.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
Jury's still out on that...

We'll see.

I'm not saying it's not in the realm of possibility that the cops murdered this guy I just don't think it's likely.
Disgusting racism.

And asking to be removed from the vehicle and put in that position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending