The Student Room Group

Alternative course from Architecture to Urban Planning and Design?

I applied for the BA Architecture course at a University I really wanted to go to but I was not able to make the cut into the course.
However, they stated: given the strength of your application, we would like to offer you the possibility of a change of course to either the MPlan in Urban Studies and Planning or BA Urban Studies.
I've looked into the course and I'm extremely interested in the degree. However, the deeper I look, I feel like there's a stigma against this field. Despite it feeling like a gamble having a degree in planning, I heard the job market for the future could be promising especially in the private sector of this career.

I wish for advice on how to approach this considering Ive been accepted into the other 4 Universities I've applied to.

Do I pursue this new degree I'm interested in or continue my path into becoming an architect?
(edited 3 years ago)
Its the sort of degree that could lead you in a hundred different directions and into some really interesting / socially worthwhile careers. Who cares what other people 'might think' ...
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Its the sort of degree that could lead you in a hundred different directions and into some really interesting / socially worthwhile careers. Who cares what other people 'might think' ...

Yeah! I saw the job choices I could get into and saw "transport planner", which I'm extremely interested in due to my unhealthy obsession with trains. But that's about it really. I'm under the impression its a real-life clash of clans and fallout shelter combined.

Thanks for the encouragement!
I know someone who applied for architecture and was offered a joint planning/architecture course or similar in clearing... and having started found it was the planning modules that were most interesting so switched. All being well, will graduate MPlan this year, no regrets. As will my son who applied for MPlan in the first place.You are in a slightly different situation with offers from other universities. It's almost certainly less of a gamble having a (professionally accredited) degree in planning to one in architecture. It's just not a degree that gets waved in front of you when you are considering what to study... but they are very different disciplines.Don't take a course just to go to the place you like best if you really want to study architecture, but it sounds as though the course modules have really sparked your interest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending