The Student Room Group

GCSE Revisions Tips

I am about to go into yr10 this September - in just over 5 months. This is when the GCSE starts for all topics (except Maths, English and Science, which we started in yr9) - I'm just making this clear in case it's different in other schools, as some start all subjects in yr9.

I really want to do well, and achieve as many 9s as possible, so I wanted to start revision now, but I still haven't found out which revision method works best for me, so all those who know good revision method(s) for revising for GCSEs (or other exams), could you please post on here the best, most effective or useful one(s)?
Reply 1
Original post by AA..
I am about to go into yr10 this September - in just over 5 months. This is when the GCSE starts for all topics (except Maths, English and Science, which we started in yr9) - I'm just making this clear in case it's different in other schools, as some start all subjects in yr9.

I really want to do well, and achieve as many 9s as possible, so I wanted to start revision now, but I still haven't found out which revision method works best for me, so all those who know good revision method(s) for revising for GCSEs (or other exams), could you please post on here the best, most effective or useful one(s)?

Hey! Good for you, being proactive in studying is the first step to getting top grades! I'm about to finish my A-Levels but I received all Grade 8s in my GCSEs.
To be honest, the best way to revise is to PRACTISE!! Practise questions and papers are going to be your best friend during your study, so try your best to complete as much practise as possible. As far as knowing the content well, I used to do in-depth notes on my computer, and then summarise those notes onto an A3 poster, and then condensing those further into flashcards - condensing your notes on the content as much as possible will definitely help secure your knowledge.
If your struggling with anything within your content, ask your teachers! If your teachers don't help, USE YOUTUBE!! I was unsure on how to structure my essays, and especially with content in science subjects I would struggle a lot, so I used youtube and the internet to fully understand everything.
CGP textbooks are AMAZING - they really summarise everything in a simple way. These textbooks are not the best for in-depth knowledge but they really help with revision, and if you struggle to understand things fully!
Overall, if you manage your time effectively, you will get the grades you want to get; make sure you take time away from studying too though, it's important not to burn out because this will last over two years, so don't try to do everything in a week! Divide your subjects into modules and smaller topics so that you have a clear idea of what exactly you need to study, and base your study timetable around that.

Hope all of this helps, and if you have any other questions let me know!
Reply 2
Original post by sh2021
Hey! Good for you, being proactive in studying is the first step to getting top grades! I'm about to finish my A-Levels but I received all Grade 8s in my GCSEs.
To be honest, the best way to revise is to PRACTISE!! Practise questions and papers are going to be your best friend during your study, so try your best to complete as much practise as possible. As far as knowing the content well, I used to do in-depth notes on my computer, and then summarise those notes onto an A3 poster, and then condensing those further into flashcards - condensing your notes on the content as much as possible will definitely help secure your knowledge.
If your struggling with anything within your content, ask your teachers! If your teachers don't help, USE YOUTUBE!! I was unsure on how to structure my essays, and especially with content in science subjects I would struggle a lot, so I used youtube and the internet to fully understand everything.
CGP textbooks are AMAZING - they really summarise everything in a simple way. These textbooks are not the best for in-depth knowledge but they really help with revision, and if you struggle to understand things fully!
Overall, if you manage your time effectively, you will get the grades you want to get; make sure you take time away from studying too though, it's important not to burn out because this will last over two years, so don't try to do everything in a week! Divide your subjects into modules and smaller topics so that you have a clear idea of what exactly you need to study, and base your study timetable around that.

Hope all of this helps, and if you have any other questions let me know!

How long did it take you to summarise around one topic? For example: say you were doing organisation in biology. How long would it take approximately to complete the notes, A3 poster and the flashcards?
Thanks, I really like the CGP books as well; they helped a lot for KS2 SATS. This was really useful! Thank you so much!
Reply 3
My advice might be a bit controversial but it's what worked for me so I'll share it with you anyway because you could benefit from it. Firstly, I never took any notes whatsoever simply because I never looked back at them. Instead, I'd just read the information, understand it, then memorize key phrases. If you however find that making notes is your style of learning then for sure do it. Another thing is to practice on past papers and literally memorize the mark scheme answers because they're always looking for very specific terminology to be used. That's literally the only 2 things I did, and I ended up with 9s in triple science and maths, 8s in the rest, and 7 in English. Believe me, you don't need piles of books and notes to get 9s at GCSE. And my best piece of advice is, enjoy your time and don't stress too much because once you hit Alevels, you'll realize how minor GCSEs actually are (ofc aim for the best though, I'm rooting for you):smile:
people here have got good revision advice but i'd say that you need to most importantly remember that you are in the middle of year 9 so don't waste your life trying to grind out for GCSE's they are far away for you.
flashcards
Reply 6
Your method is really good, and I'll be sure to use it for revision. I don't really look back on notes much either, but for some reason, the actual process of note-taking helps me to memorise and remember stuff. Yes, I'll definitely look at mark schemes.
Thanks so much for the advice!
Reply 7
Original post by billybob234
people here have got good revision advice but i'd say that you need to most importantly remember that you are in the middle of year 9 so don't waste your life trying to grind out for GCSE's they are far away for you.

This is just for a bit of preparation. I like to revise alone without being told to, so when it comes to yr10 and 11, the teachers will try to encourage you to follow their methods of revision. I just wanted to create a base in yr9, so I know what method of revision is most effective for me.
Thanks for this advice; I won't waste too much of my life on this!
Reply 8
Original post by tinygirl96
flashcards

Yes, I like making flashcards, and they're easy to bring to school to revise before a test. I've started making some for biology, chemistry and maths.
Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest