The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham university 2022 applicants!

Hi! I haven’t seen a thread for Durham 2022 yet so I figured that I would start one!

Some questions to break the ice:

Which A-Level subjects are you doing?
Which degree do you have your eyes on?
What’s your dream Durham college?
Why Durham?
Which other unis are you considering?

Useful linksDurham website
Recommend me a college thread
Ask a Durham student thread

Some frequently asked questions from previous years (will be added to):

FAQ

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

English literature, religious studies and geography as well as EPQ
Either English literature or religious studies!
Castle (it’s really close to the theology department so it’s the most convenient)
Why Durham?
The city looks really lovely, and I love the collegiate system!
Bristol, Leeds, Edinburgh, not sure about my 5th choice yet!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by lemonadetea
Hi! I haven’t seen a thread for Durham 2022 yet so I figured that I would start one!

Why Durham?

Chemistry, Arabic, Math (Stat) and Environmental Management
BSc Chemistry
not too sure about the colleges
The place is very pretty and rich in history, plus the uni has a good rep!
Bristol and Sheffield
I am doing Economics, Geography and Maths at A Level. I am thinking about an Economics degree but it could be anything within or near to that subject area - I haven't made my mind up. I'm also considering doing Combined Honours in Social Sciences or Economics and Politics maybe. My dream Durham college is definitely a bailey college but which one yet I'm not sure. I am drawn to Cuths though because they have a cathedral choir and I sing in a similar choir now. I love Durham because it looks so beautiful and it's one of the top universities. I love the collegiate side of it and the city is quiet enough but still lively. I haven't really got any concrete choices for other universities but I've been doing a bit of research into Nottingham, Bath and a few others!
Original post by SingerA03
I am doing Economics, Geography and Maths at A Level. I am thinking about an Economics degree but it could be anything within or near to that subject area - I haven't made my mind up. I'm also considering doing Combined Honours in Social Sciences or Economics and Politics maybe. My dream Durham college is definitely a bailey college but which one yet I'm not sure. I am drawn to Cuths though because they have a cathedral choir and I sing in a similar choir now. I love Durham because it looks so beautiful and it's one of the top universities. I love the collegiate side of it and the city is quiet enough but still lively. I haven't really got any concrete choices for other universities but I've been doing a bit of research into Nottingham, Bath and a few others!

How are you finding geography a level? It’s definitely my weakest subject at the moment however I’m hoping it won’t impact me too greatly!
Original post by Anonymous
Chemistry, Arabic, Math (Stat) and Environmental Management
BSc Chemistry
not too sure about the colleges
The place is very pretty and rich in history, plus the uni has a good rep!
Bristol and Sheffield

Ooh that’s such a cool mix of a level subjects!
How are you finding geography a level? It’s definitely my weakest subject at the moment however I’m hoping it won’t impact me too greatly!

I'm finding it ok. We have just started our third unit, Globalisation, and I'm finding it way easier and enjoying it much more than the physical geography stuff (human geography links in with my other subjects way better, especially globalisation with Economics). I found and still do find Glaciation really hard especially with all the landforms and processes to remember. Tectonics was ok, I think it was easier because I'd done a bit of it at GCSE and there aren't as many landforms and processes in it haha. How are you finding it?

Why Durham?

1) History, English lit, Psychology and EPQ
2) Law
3) not sure but I saw a yt vid about all the colleges that I will watch later - I think john snow sounds nice
4) not in London lol but also my mentor went there and spoke highly of it
5) not rlly sure yet for now Oxbridge, Kcl, Ucl, Warwick, Bristol and Nottingham
I'm finding it ok. We have just started our third unit, Globalisation, and I'm finding it way easier and enjoying it much more than the physical geography stuff (human geography links in with my other subjects way better, especially globalisation with Economics). I found and still do find Glaciation really hard especially with all the landforms and processes to remember. Tectonics was ok, I think it was easier because I'd done a bit of it at GCSE and there aren't as many landforms and processes in it haha. How are you finding it?

I’m absolutely loving the human geography, especially human rights as it links well with religious studies! I’ve always struggled with physical tbh... We’ve had super disruptive teaching so far (we’re on our fourth teacher already this year) and I started the subject late (I dropped maths and switched to geography) so I missed the coasts topic which I didn’t do at GCSE. It’s definitely been a challenge but it’s not too bad! Which exam board are you on?

Why Durham?

Physics, biology, maths, further maths
Natural Sciences MSci
I don't know yet
The course is flexible and I've heard the place is really nice
Cambridge (NatSci), St Andrews (Physics), maybe Edinburgh/Lancaster/Exeter

Levelling Up: Aspire Higher programme applicants, anyone?
Original post by Unknownx12
1) History, English lit, Psychology and EPQ
2) Law
3) not sure but I saw a yt vid about all the colleges that I will watch later - I think john snow sounds nice
4) not in London lol but also my mentor went there and spoke highly of it
5) not rlly sure yet for now Oxbridge, Kcl, Ucl, Warwick, Bristol and Nottingham

Welcome to the thread! Which texts are you doing for English Lit?
Original post by aaron2578
Physics, biology, maths, further maths
Natural Sciences MSci
I don't know yet
The course is flexible and I've heard the place is really nice
Cambridge (NatSci), St Andrews (Physics), maybe Edinburgh/Lancaster/Exeter

Levelling Up: Aspire Higher programme applicants, anyone?

How are you finding maths a level? I dropped it very quickly because I hated it lol 😂
I’m absolutely loving the human geography, especially human rights as it links well with religious studies! I’ve always struggled with physical tbh... We’ve had super disruptive teaching so far (we’re on our fourth teacher already this year) and I started the subject late (I dropped maths and switched to geography) so I missed the coasts topic which I didn’t do at GCSE. It’s definitely been a challenge but it’s not too bad! Which exam board are you on?

Yes, I definitely prefer human. That's so rubbish about your teachers. I've had the same teacher but I have only been in college for 7 weeks this school year as my college did a one week in, one week on Teams sort of thing so we could social distance in lessons and around college. My teacher spent a lot of the year at home so even when we were in college sometimes he would be teaching on Teams at home and we would watch him on the smart board! I'm very jealous that you do Coasts, I loved that at GCSE and glaciation is rubbish. I do Edexcel Geography. :smile:
How are you finding maths a level? I dropped it very quickly because I hated it lol 😂

I've found that taking further maths makes the normal maths seem easier! It just doesn't seem that hard anymore when you're doing even harder things.
Yes, I definitely prefer human. That's so rubbish about your teachers. I've had the same teacher but I have only been in college for 7 weeks this school year as my college did a one week in, one week on Teams sort of thing so we could social distance in lessons and around college. My teacher spent a lot of the year at home so even when we were in college sometimes he would be teaching on Teams at home and we would watch him on the smart board! I'm very jealous that you do Coasts, I loved that at GCSE and glaciation is rubbish. I do Edexcel Geography. :smile:

I loved glaciers at GCSE although I think that was mostly because we did our fieldwork in Iceland which was really fun! I do OCR although I think that my teacher is teaching us AQA 😂
I've found that taking further maths makes the normal maths seem easier! It just doesn't seem that hard anymore when you're doing even harder things.

Haha that’s fair enough but also terrifying! I admire you though I wish I’d been able to stick with it
Haha that’s fair enough but also terrifying! I admire you though I wish I’d been able to stick with it

Thanks! Honestly same for you how could you bear with English Lit and RS after GCSE - those gave me nightmares...
Thanks! Honestly same for you how could you bear with English Lit and RS after GCSE - those gave me nightmares...

I HATED English literature at GCSE, I only took it because it linked well to RS but I’ve ended up loving it at a level! I’ve always loved RS especially looking at how religious have evolved over time to fit with modern issues
I HATED English literature at GCSE, I only took it because it linked well to RS but I’ve ended up loving it at a level! I’ve always loved RS especially looking at how religious have evolved over time to fit with modern issues

Oh really? What's it like at A Level?

I didn't like the RS content (AQA) but it was the teacher that made it horrible.
Welcome to the thread! Which texts are you doing for English Lit?

I'm currently doing Othello, streetcar named desire, handmaids tale, Frankenstein and something else I forgot. My teacher keeps changing the texts as well :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest