The Student Room Group

Help with weight, pains and dizziness

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Pathway
I know. I passed out frequently at school, hit my head on all manner of different things, it was scary. You have to find a GP that's either understanding or if they don't know, they can pass you on to someone who will know.

My gp won't do anything he's a tool to be quite honest. I have it in my right mind that next time I pass out I get taken to hospital coz at least a+e will take me more seriously
Original post by Sean_2201
I'm a 16 m at 6ft 1. For a few years I've been suffering with the following: dizziness leading me to be on the floor for several minutes paralysed and unable to see or hear for several minutes, Heart palpitations and pains, joint pains in hands and neck, confusion and fatigue, frequent memory blackouts, and finally I have a fluctuating weight averaging between 8 and a half stone and 9 stone. Was wondering if anyone would help since the doctors I've seen are useless and only measure me and send me on my way.

Heya, this sounds quite painful - im sorry u have to endure this. i am obviously in no way a trained medical professional, but i would like to help in any way possible. some advice that may it not be helpful: often u may treat symptoms as part of different illnesses, but in reality they may all link together for one illness. that may narrow things down?

Regarding dizziness, that is a severe issue being paralysed etc and needs to be sorted ASAP. have u tried being checked for POTS(
Postural tachycardia syndrome)? Heres the NHS link:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/postural-tachycardia-syndrome/

Regarding heart pains and palpitations, as much as i hate suggesting this bc i get told this all the time, could it be linked to anxiety in any way?

Confusion, fatigue and memory problems - again, could be anxiety (hate to suggest that bc it probs isn't but gotta rule it out). Any heart problems running in the family?

Fluctuating weight could be anything i guess. Not sure why, but diabetes type 1 comes to mind. Just to rule it out, perhaps get checked for that?

Im sorry the drs have been no help, i get that too. Hopefully I have helped in some way. i don't want to worry you abt anything and there is a chance i have said something that isn't quite true due to me not having much medical knowledge- I'm only a teen lol. I wish u luck on ur journey :smile:
Original post by Donnialy
Heya, this sounds quite painful - im sorry u have to endure this. i am obviously in no way a trained medical professional, but i would like to help in any way possible. some advice that may it not be helpful: often u may treat symptoms as part of different illnesses, but in reality they may all link together for one illness. that may narrow things down?

Regarding dizziness, that is a severe issue being paralysed etc and needs to be sorted ASAP. have u tried being checked for POTS(

Regarding heart pains and palpitations, as much as i hate suggesting this bc i get told this all the time, could it be linked to anxiety in any way?

Confusion, fatigue and memory problems - again, could be anxiety (hate to suggest that bc it probs isn't but gotta rule it out). Any heart problems running in the family?

Fluctuating weight could be anything i guess. Not sure why, but diabetes type 1 comes to mind. Just to rule it out, perhaps get checked for that?

Im sorry the drs have been no help, i get that too. Hopefully I have helped in some way. i don't want to worry you abt anything and there is a chance i have said something that isn't quite true due to me not having much medical knowledge- I'm only a teen lol. I wish u luck on ur journey :smile:

I was wondering about POTs too tbh, I have it (among various other issues), does sound like a match, but I'm also not a doctor so it might not be that. :dontknow:

@Sean_2201, I do hope you sort this out and get an answer. If you've got any questions at all, I don't mind helping.
Original post by Pathway
I was wondering about POTs too tbh, I have it (among various other issues), does sound like a match, but I'm also not a doctor so it might not be that. :dontknow:

@Sean_2201, I do hope you sort this out and get an answer. If you've got any questions at all, I don't mind helping.

:frown: hope u get it sorted
:frown: hope u get it sorted

I'm getting it treated, but it'll likely never go, lol. Is what it is. :redface: But thanks.
Reply 25
I'm a 16 m at 6ft 1. For a few years I've been suffering with the following: dizziness leading me to be on the floor for several minutes paralysed and unable to see or hear for several minutes, Heart palpitations and pains, joint pains in hands and neck, confusion and fatigue, frequent memory blackouts, and finally I have a fluctuating weight averaging between 8 and a half stone and 9 stone. Was wondering if anyone would help since the doctors I've seen are useless and only measure me and send me on my way.

I've just realised how very low your BMI must be. Has your GP calculated it for you or have you done this yourself?
Yes the doctors know everything. And my doctor says nothing to me other than yeah and ok

Definitely change doctors !!!
Guys how do you delete a comment on the app?? Or edit
Reply 28

Thank you lol. I'll have a look into this POTS and there's only my mum's dad that suffers from heart problems and that was because of his life style and there's no history of diabetes or anything else
Reply 29
I'm eating 3 substantial meals a day with snacks and stuff inbetween and I'm drinking about 8-9 pints of water or squash a day

Is that too much much water? I suspect that it is. I think that you are meant to drink roughly 2/2.5 litres a day and 9 pints is more like 5.
Thank you lol. I'll have a look into this POTS and there's only my mum's dad that suffers from heart problems and that was because of his life style and there's no history of diabetes or anything else

np! glad i could help in some way. hope it gets sorted soon
Original post by Kerzen
Is that too much much water? I suspect that it is. I think that you are meant to drink roughly 2/2.5 litres a day and 9 pints is more like 5.

True, overhydration is probably not helping, if you're peeing out all your electrolytes, OP! Didn't do the conversion.
Reply 32
Original post by Kerzen
I've just realised how very low your BMI must be. Has your GP calculated it for you or have you done this yourself?

my gp has not done my bmi but i just did it myself off of the nhs website im in the 1st centile
Reply 33
Original post by Kerzen

sorry i did the conversion wrong. i thought pints would make it easier for people to understand sorry for the confusion
Reply 34
What do your parents have to say about what is happening to you?

If I had a 16 year old son/daughter who was collapsing to the floor, paralysed and unable to hear, I would be immensely concerned.
Reply 35
Original post by Kerzen
What do your parents have to say about what is happening to you?

If I had a 16 year old son/daughter who was collapsing to the floor, paralysed and unable to hear, I would be immensely concerned.

my dad is quiet and only says stuff when he has to pick me up off the floor. my step mum just keeps telling me im not eating properly and im lazy which just isnt true
Reply 36
I would be inclined to suggest registering with another GP and making an appointment.

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-gp

Something I think you should bear in mind is what will happen if you want to learn to drive, as an illness of this kind may be a determining factor in whether you are allowed a driving licence.

I was going to suggest that you read up on epilepsy (my late father had epilepsy) and catalepsy, but a) I'm not medically qualified and b) this is certainly something your GPs would have considered.

I find what is happening to you very concerning, I must say and for this reason I would advise you to speak to Childline about what is happening to you. Obviously, Childline won't offer a diagnosis over the phone/internet, but they will listen to your concerns and guide you towards getting the proper diagnosis and treatment which you need.

https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/

I would also suggest speaking to someone like the Principal at school to ask for help. If I were the Principal and I knew that one of my school students was collapsing to the floor regularly, I would insist that he/she be helped, for a thousand and one reasons, one being your wellbeing, the other being the consequences for the school if the school needed to be evacuated and you collapsed on the stairs as everyone was leaving.

I'm not quite sure that you have grasped the gravity of what you are describing, by the way.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Kerzen
I would be inclined to suggest registering with another GP and making an appointment.

https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-gp

Something I think you should bear in mind is what will happen if you want to learn to drive, as an illness of this kind may be a determining factor in whether you are allowed a driving licence.

I was going to suggest that you read up on epilepsy (my late father had epilepsy) and catalepsy, but a) I'm not medically qualified and b) this is certainly something your GPs would have considered.

I find what is happening to you very concerning, I must say and for this reason I would advise you to speak to Childline about what is happening to you. Obviously, Childline won't offer a diagnosis over the phone/internet, but they will listen to your concerns and guide you towards getting the proper diagnosis and treatment which you need.

https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/

I would also suggest speaking to someone like the Principal at school to ask for help. If I were the Principal and I knew that one of my school students was collapsing to the floor regularly, I would insist that he/she be helped, for a thousand and one reasons, one being your wellbeing, the other being the consequences for the school if the school needed to be evacuated and you collapsed on the stairs as everyone was leaving.

I'm not quite sure that you have grasped the gravity of what you are describing, by the way.

I've thought about changing gps but the closest one other than the one im registered to is 30 mins away and i have no transport. and im going to try to talk to my departments pastoral coach at college
I've thought about changing gps but the closest one other than the one im registered to is 30 mins away and i have no transport. and im going to try to talk to my departments pastoral coach at college

You'd be doing the appointment over the phone most likely given the pandemic.
Reply 39
Original post by Pathway
You'd be doing the appointment over the phone most likely given the pandemic.

My last appointment was last month and they made me come in so idk

Quick Reply

Latest