The Student Room Group

I’ve done no work for my art A-Level at home?

I’m Year 12 and supposed to go into school on Tuesday with all the work for the “environment” project we started doing at school before it got shut because of covid. Now i’m lost because i’ve done literally only two brief pages of work - and if you’ve ever done art a level or gcse even you’ll know that is absolutely terrible. There’s a whole list of AOs and criteria that we’ve supposed to have done from home - bur i just haven’t been motivated, i don’t have a printer either or a lot of art stuff, i didn’t have any ideas for the project and i’ve also been in and out of hospital for anorexia - which i’m finally getting better now. could that possibly excuse me? my teacher will be so disappointed, i did so much work at gcse. what shall i do? my class is small and i imagine everyone else will have loads of work etc with them and i’ll just be completely awkward. also will this mean i will definitely fail the a level or what? help please
Extended illness requiring hospitalisation is absolutely an extenuating circumstances that can be taken in account, and which you should make sure the appropriate individual(s) are aware of in your school to make any necessary arrangements (e.g. the exams officer; your teacher might need to know superficially that you had some health issues and were in hospital several times as a result, you don't need to explain the whole situation to them if you don't want to though, although the exams officer may need to know some more detail). This might be something you should raise with the teacher beforehand as well, so as to avoid presenting little work and managing their expectations before you show up in class.

Obviously though, not having done much if any work is not ideal, and is something you will probably need to at least do something for from now to try and salvage. Again, the best point to start with this is your teacher - ideally you would've spoken with them about having issues earlier so something could've been done sooner rather than later, but as it is you just need to make do with what you can organise with them now (in view of your extenuating circumstances and otherwise). They may be able to direct you to some things to look at for inspiration, and make suggestions on what you could do with limited resources available to you at home.

As for failing or not, if your extenuating circumstances are accepted then this will be reflected in your final result. You normally need to submit these before any final assessments, so it is very important you start organising that now. Exam boards usually don't consider extenuating circumstances requests submitted after the exam and/or results are released. Exactly how this will influence things I don't know - your schools exam officer should hopefully be able to advise you though :smile:
Original post by unsweetenedblue
I’m Year 12 and supposed to go into school on Tuesday with all the work for the “environment” project we started doing at school before it got shut because of covid. Now i’m lost because i’ve done literally only two brief pages of work - and if you’ve ever done art a level or gcse even you’ll know that is absolutely terrible. There’s a whole list of AOs and criteria that we’ve supposed to have done from home - bur i just haven’t been motivated, i don’t have a printer either or a lot of art stuff, i didn’t have any ideas for the project and i’ve also been in and out of hospital for anorexia - which i’m finally getting better now. could that possibly excuse me? my teacher will be so disappointed, i did so much work at gcse. what shall i do? my class is small and i imagine everyone else will have loads of work etc with them and i’ll just be completely awkward. also will this mean i will definitely fail the a level or what? help please

I do chem, math, bio and econ and I've only started doing work now, Dont worry, we have enough time to get things done, just please start now.
Reply 3
Start work TODAY
Original post by interlanken-fall
I do chem, math, bio and econ and I've only started doing work now, Dont worry, we have enough time to get things done, just please start now.

Hey, I do the same subjects and have only recently started revising. How do you revise and do you use any useful websites :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Extended illness requiring hospitalisation is absolutely an extenuating circumstances that can be taken in account, and which you should make sure the appropriate individual(s) are aware of in your school to make any necessary arrangements (e.g. the exams officer; your teacher might need to know superficially that you had some health issues and were in hospital several times as a result, you don't need to explain the whole situation to them if you don't want to though, although the exams officer may need to know some more detail). T

As for failing or not, if your extenuating circumstances are accepted then this will be reflected in your final result. You normally need to submit these before any final assessments, so it is very important you start organising that now. Exam boards usually don't consider extenuating circumstances requests submitted after the exam and/or results are released. Exactly how this will influence things I don't know - your schools exam officer should hopefully be able to advise you though :smile:

If the OP is Year 12 they're probably not entered for exams this year and so this is completely between the OP and the school and nothing to do with exam boards - submissions to them for special consideration can't be made until after the completion of any exam or NEA (so June 2022 if the OP is entered for A level in 2022). The OP absolutely should make sure the school is aware of it, but the best person to talk to would be some form of pastoral lead - perhaps the Head of 6th form.
Original post by Compost
If the OP is Year 12 they're probably not entered for exams this year and so this is completely between the OP and the school and nothing to do with exam boards - submissions to them for special consideration can't be made until after the completion of any exam or NEA (so June 2022 if the OP is entered for A level in 2022). The OP absolutely should make sure the school is aware of it, but the best person to talk to would be some form of pastoral lead - perhaps the Head of 6th form.

Oh I'm dumb, I completely missed the fact they were in year 12!

My understanding has been extenuating circumstances had to be submitted before the exams...good to know at least that I was mistaken there :redface:
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Oh I'm dumb, I completely missed the fact they were in year 12!

My understanding has been extenuating circumstances had to be submitted before the exams...good to know at least that I was mistaken there :redface:

There's a window from the end of the exam/NEA submission date to (for the Summer) early in July when they have to be submitted - they place a huge emphasis on how the situation is affecting the candidate at the time of the assessment so you can't really do it until after the event. IN my first year as an EO I submitted some paperwork saying that the candidate had been in intensive care a week before the exams started with a 10% chance of survival and they got back to me and said ' but what was he like when the exams started?''.
Original post by As_student21
Hey, I do the same subjects and have only recently started revising. How do you revise and do you use any useful websites :smile:

ok I got you!
for chemistry= chemguide!! they will teach you more then you need to know + use ur chemistry text book = after every topic you finish go through your specification and see youce learnt everything

Math= exam solution, amazing!! watch every single video and then use the knowledge learnt to do math questions in your math text book

Biology= for biology use multiple text books, I use 2, one I brought ocr one and and online one i get for free from my school from kerboodle = after every topic you finish go through your specification and see youce learnt everything

for economics i just use the text books they give specification

after every page you do, do questions and active recall every day!
Reply 9

Drop your head of sixth form an email and copy in your Art Teacher.You have had some serious problems to deal with but do not stress there is time to catch up.Your health is the most important thing.

What exactly is the topic perhaps people could help you with ideas.

Quick Reply

Latest