The Student Room Group

In need of severe and urgent help for my choices 2021

Ok so I consider myself a decisive person but this is a very very tough one. I am someone from a ethnic minority and grew up in a very diverse and populated city. Due to COVID, I couldn't visit either of these unis.
Now i have to choose between 2 choices for my course. Option 1 is R, which has a better city, is diverse, has good city and food, students are good the course is good,would give the course a 6/10. Course is closer to London as well. Ranking for my course: 13 (2020)&22 (2021)
Option 2 is N, whose city is not diverse at ALL. Has a good course module and ranking wise. The uni also has good contents in the course. But the city doesn't have much to offer compared to city R. Course ranking: 27(2020) 15(2021)
The ranking differences makes 0 sense to me lol
Course planning to study Pharmacology BSc. City R is Reading and City N is Norwich.
And yes I know, I should choose what my heart feels like, but right now it wants both a high quality course but also a good uni life.
How would you tackle this?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
anyone...
Original post by MeForPm
Ok so I consider myself a decisive person but this is a very very tough one. I am someone from a ethnic minority and grew up in a very diverse and populated city. Due to COVID, I couldn't visit either of these unis.
Now i have to choose between 2 choices for my course. Option 1 is R, which has a better city, is diverse, has good city and food, students are good the course is good,would give the course a 6/10. Course is closer to London as well. Ranking for my course: 13 (2020)&22 (2021)
Option 2 is N, whose city is not diverse at ALL. Has a good course module and ranking wise. The uni also has good contents in the course. But the city doesn't have much to offer compared to city R. Course ranking: 27(2020) 15(2021)
Course planning to study Pharmacology BSc. City R is Reading and City N is Norwich.
And yes I know, I should choose what my heart feels like, but right now it wants both a high quality course but also a good uni life.

Thank you

Tough choice. UEA has a lovely campus so you will not be mixing too much with the locals if you feel you will be racially attacked. If the actual course is also more highly at UEA then UEA could be the better choice.
Reply 4
Original post by mike23mike
Tough choice. UEA has a lovely campus so you will not be mixing too much with the locals if you feel you will be racially attacked. If the actual course is also more highly at UEA then UEA could be the better choice.

I think it sort of comes down to location vs course content at the end lol. I have got an offer from both so Im not worried about not getting in. I will be going into town and about for sure. It's just that london is close ro reading and I feel like I will be going there quite a lot as well as other cities. Norwich does seem out of way from rest of the UK. I just need someone to tell me which uni would give me better job prospects tbh and which one is more respected in the pharmaceutical industry
Reply 5
I can’t tell you about job prospects as I didn’t study Pharmacology. However, I did go to UEA. I loved it and the nightlife is great (it has a strip of bar and clubs which I wasn’t expecting), good variety of restaurants and social events on campus are also good as it has its own pub and nightclub. You can get a train to Liverpool Street from Norwich which only takes 2 hours so it’s really not difficult for travelling to London. You’re also close to the seaside which is great for taking a break at weekends or in the summer time it’s great to be close by. I’ve never been to Reading apart from the festival, but I’m from Hertfordshire and 20 mins from London and I’m actually hoping to move back to Norwich later in the year. It totally depends on what you are looking for. But just wanted to give you some insight from someone who studied there. What is it that Reading has that Norwich doesn’t? Just see if that swings it for you. If you think you’ll regret going to Norwich then go with Reading :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MeForPm

Thank you

Hi! Just to start, the course ranking is how the university teaches the course, and then measured to the other universities offering that course and create a ranking of which university had students graduate with higher grades, if that makes sense? So, that would be point one for me. R has a higher ranking in both years stated than N, and I would take that into consideration.
Now, personally I'm not from an ethnic background, so I can't imagine the scenario exactly, but I would take the diversity into account.
Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Original post by SkimmingLoyal
Hi! Just to start, the course ranking is how the university teaches the course, and then measured to the other universities offering that course and create a ranking of which university had students graduate with higher grades, if that makes sense? So, that would be point one for me. R has a higher ranking in both years stated than N, and I would take that into consideration.
Now, personally I'm not from an ethnic background, so I can't imagine the scenario exactly, but I would take the diversity into account.
Hope this helps!

Yeah I understand how they work, I was just wondering how much they would matter to employers if that makes sense. Which one looks more 'employable' UEA or Reading. Reading on guardian for my course goes from 9 to 13 to now 27 every year from 2018. Whereas for UEA it is 27 to 19.(both guardian). Whereas on complete uni guide for 2021, Reading is 22 and UEA is 17 for pharmacy based courses. I know rankings aren't the end and all but surely it is an indication right?
Plus Reading offer a year in industry whereas UEA don't. So just wanted to know if the fall in rankings for reading is of concern?
Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by harcher
I can’t tell you about job prospects as I didn’t study Pharmacology. However, I did go to UEA. I loved it and the nightlife is great (it has a strip of bar and clubs which I wasn’t expecting), good variety of restaurants and social events on campus are also good as it has its own pub and nightclub. You can get a train to Liverpool Street from Norwich which only takes 2 hours so it’s really not difficult for travelling to London. You’re also close to the seaside which is great for taking a break at weekends or in the summer time it’s great to be close by. I’ve never been to Reading apart from the festival, but I’m from Hertfordshire and 20 mins from London and I’m actually hoping to move back to Norwich later in the year. It totally depends on what you are looking for. But just wanted to give you some insight from someone who studied there. What is it that Reading has that Norwich doesn’t? Just see if that swings it for you. If you think you’ll regret going to Norwich then go with Reading :smile:

Would you say that the staff is supportive,like would they go outside of office hours to help or shrug you off if you needed help? and the whole environment, is it academic based or a bit chilled and focuses on other aspects of the whole uni experience?
Original post by MeForPm
Yeah I understand how they work, I was just wondering how much they would matter to employers if that makes sense. Which one looks more 'employable' UEA or Reading. Reading on guardian for my course goes from 9 to 13 to now 27 every year from 2018. Whereas for UEA it is 27 to 19.(both guardian). Whereas on complete uni guide for 2021, Reading is 22 and UEA is 17 for pharmacy based courses. I know rankings aren't the end and all but surely it is an indication right?
Plus Reading offer a year in industry whereas UEA don't. So just wanted to know if the fall in rankings for reading is of concern?
Thanks

Comparing the careers service for Reading and UEA I would go to Reading; it has a much more sophisticated webpage than UEA.
Original post by MeForPm

Thank you

Hey @MeForPm,

I'm currently a third-year pharmacy student at the University of Reading. And whilst I appreciate it isn't pharmacology, it is taught by the same department and many of the lecturers are the same. As a current student, I have found them to be very very supportive and approachable which I've found to be really helpful if I ever get stuck with anything. In addition to this, the careers service is fantastic with a variety of services to help you through your degree getting placements and for post-degree trying to get a grad job. They offer 1 to 1 meetings where they can look over your CV etc and offer mock interviews. You can see the services offered here.

In terms of the campus and what Reading offers as a town, we have a gorgeous green campus. In addition to this, the town centre has a large shopping centre with a lot of popular shops. Furthermore, Reading train station has great connections all over the country which I've personally really enjoyed trips to new cities, London etc on days off.

Hope this helps and feel free to let us know if you have any questions!
From,

Amina😊
Norwich is actually really diverse! I study here and I've met people from Norway, Poland, India, Hungary, Thailand, Lithuania, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Italy, Spain, Africa, Malta just to name a few! The shops in Norwich also reflect this, for example, there's a really good Korean restaurant and there's this Polish convenience store that is very popular. The Norwich market also holds so many good food stalls from all over the world. It might not have the best "night life" but it's really diverse!!! Many schools and unis hold student exchanges as well which is great. Also UEA is right next to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital which is great for anyone doing medical related degrees!! I don't know much about your course but I would disagree with you about Norwich not being diverse, and if that's the only thing holding you back about Norwich, then go to Norwich :smile:
Original post by MeForPm
Thanks

A year in industry can be very useful for future employment
Reply 13
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @MeForPm,

I'm currently a third-year pharmacy student at the University of Reading. And whilst I appreciate it isn't pharmacology, it is taught by the same department and many of the lecturers are the same. As a current student, I have found them to be very very supportive and approachable which I've found to be really helpful if I ever get stuck with anything. In addition to this, the careers service is fantastic with a variety of services to help you through your degree getting placements and for post-degree trying to get a grad job. They offer 1 to 1 meetings where they can look over your CV etc and offer mock interviews. You can see the services offered here.

In terms of the campus and what Reading offers as a town, we have a gorgeous green campus. In addition to this, the town centre has a large shopping centre with a lot of popular shops. Furthermore, Reading train station has great connections all over the country which I've personally really enjoyed trips to new cities, London etc on days off.

Hope this helps and feel free to let us know if you have any questions!
From,

Amina😊

Thanks for the reply Amina. I am a really big foodie kind of person and I think reading itself has lots to offer in terms of that, compared to norwich. Especially being near london. For everyone else, I eat halal based diet, so I have to look into that.
One of my concerns although are the expenses. How do you manage the expenses? As in is it easy or do you have to walk on eggshells when having to spend money? Average accom costs around £5-6k a year in reading which is expensive when compared to others such as norwich. Also since you do pharmacy, would you say that Reading has a good research facility? Since pharmacology is a research based degree.
Thank you:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
Norwich is actually really diverse! I study here and I've met people from Norway, Poland, India, Hungary, Thailand, Lithuania, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Italy, Spain, Africa, Malta just to name a few! The shops in Norwich also reflect this, for example, there's a really good Korean restaurant and there's this Polish convenience store that is very popular. The Norwich market also holds so many good food stalls from all over the world. It might not have the best "night life" but it's really diverse!!! Many schools and unis hold student exchanges as well which is great. Also UEA is right next to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital which is great for anyone doing medical related degrees!! I don't know much about your course but I would disagree with you about Norwich not being diverse, and if that's the only thing holding you back about Norwich, then go to Norwich :smile:

I appreciate the reply and I am not a big fan of nightlife either. I feel like I would have to physically travel norwich to decide this now since the roadmap has been laid out.
Reading, as a place, will have a higher cost of living compared to Norwich - that short distance to London means it is a good place for commuters.
Reading is very diverse ethnically- there are quite a few halal butchers and the supermarkets stock a wide range.
Reply 17
Original post by MeForPm
Would you say that the staff is supportive,like would they go outside of office hours to help or shrug you off if you needed help? and the whole environment, is it academic based or a bit chilled and focuses on other aspects of the whole uni experience?

I think the experience with that depends ultimately on who your advisor is and which hub your with. I really appreciated that the GP was on site as when I had any medical issues which impacted on my study, they sent the medical certificate straight to my hub which was great. I found my hub really supportive when I needed extensions and I also found the dean of students really helpful with finances. My loan was REALLY delayed in first year and I didn’t get it until December. I was able to get a loan from the university which was great. My experience was really positive but there will always be good and bad stories from each university. I would say every uni is pretty all rounded so I wouldn’t worry about the focus on academics vs other things. The good thing about UEA was that it was a campus uni so literally everything is on site including a pub, Club, Waterstones, coffee shop, laundrette etc. But there’s still loads of stuff in the city to do. It ultimately depends on what you’re looking for.
For me, which uni I went to has never been questioned when getting a job. I feel like when I was younger and before I went to uni I was told this matters but honestly it has never mattered where I went, just that I’ve got a degree. So I wouldn’t focus on the rank of the uni overall, but do look at the rank for the subject as that will relate to the teaching and students satisfaction with the course. A year in industry would also be really helpful, however having said that, the yearly social with the lecturers is great for networking and getting placements with them for after uni. So as long as you pick the uni that you like, you will enjoy it and do well wherever you go.
Reply 18
Original post by ReadingMum
Reading, as a place, will have a higher cost of living compared to Norwich - that short distance to London means it is a good place for commuters.
Reading is very diverse ethnically- there are quite a few halal butchers and the supermarkets stock a wide range.

Yeah that's one of things for me as well
Original post by MeForPm
Thanks

I'm not actually going into the same study field, but I had the same dilemma. I'm going into law and actually I managed to find a study that showed from which unis did London firms v around the country firms hired from. If you want to know things like that, I'm fairly certain you can find one for Pharmacology if you're worried about things like employability.

I would personally go for course over ranking though, so if you prefer the course at Reading I would do that.

Quick Reply

Latest