The Student Room Group

Anyone else applying for radiotherapy and oncology at uni 2021?

I just wanted to know where people applying for this course ended applying too?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annakelly
I just wanted to know where people applying for this course ended applying too?

Hi,

Applied at Sheffield Hallam, Liverpool, Hertfordshire, St George's and AECC.

Have interviews for 3/5 coming up.

Where did you apply??
Reply 2
Original post by therapeutics2021
Hi,

Applied at Sheffield Hallam, Liverpool, Hertfordshire, St George's and AECC.

Have interviews for 3/5 coming up.

Where did you apply??

I applied to Cardiff uni, Sheffield Hallam, Birmingham city, Liverpool uni and AECC.
I’ve got an interview for sheffield
Where have you got interviews for??? :smile:
I applied to Cardiff uni, Sheffield Hallam, Birmingham city, Liverpool uni and AECC.
I’ve got an interview for sheffield
Where have you got interviews for??? :smile:

Oh cool 🙂

I've got interviews at Hertfordshire, Sheffield Hallam and Liverpool.

Nervous for them all! Good luck with yours at Sheffield!
Reply 4
Oh cool 🙂

I've got interviews at Hertfordshire, Sheffield Hallam and Liverpool.

Nervous for them all! Good luck with yours at Sheffield!

Have you got any ideas about how to fully prepare for the interviews?
Have you got any ideas about how to fully prepare for the interviews?

Well for my interview prep (two interviews next week)

I've written the NHS values and put examples of my work experience and previous university experience for each value 🙂

Also I think they'll ask why you want to be a Therapeutic Radiographer and why do you want to study at the particular university.

So that's my preparation thus far, have you had any other ideas yourself? 🙂
Reply 6
Well for my interview prep (two interviews next week)

I've written the NHS values and put examples of my work experience and previous university experience for each value 🙂

Also I think they'll ask why you want to be a Therapeutic Radiographer and why do you want to study at the particular university.

So that's my preparation thus far, have you had any other ideas yourself? 🙂

I think they’ll ask about current healthcare affairs so could be corona but could also be things like obesity and cancer, i know that’s a question for other health courses.
They’ll 100% ask about things you said in your personal statement so just make sure you know it
Good Luck with yours as well, hope they go well!!
I think they’ll ask about current healthcare affairs so could be corona but could also be things like obesity and cancer, i know that’s a question for other health courses.
They’ll 100% ask about things you said in your personal statement so just make sure you know it
Good Luck with yours as well, hope they go well!!

Oh that's a good tip off! About current affairs related to healthcare.

I'll update you and you can update me when you get your offers 🙂
Reply 8
Oh that's a good tip off! About current affairs related to healthcare.

I'll update you and you can update me when you get your offers 🙂

Hi again!! How did your interviews go? Also have you heard form AECC yet??
Hi again!! How did your interviews go? Also have you heard form AECC yet??

Hi! My interviews with Hertfordshire and Sheffield Hallam went great thanks! 🙂Two offers!🎉 Woo and interview with Liverpool this afternoon 🙈 I haven't heard from AECC, I think they're waiting on predicted grades.
How did your interview go if you've had it 🙂??
Reply 10
Hi! My interviews with Hertfordshire and Sheffield Hallam went great thanks! 🙂Two offers!🎉 Woo and interview with Liverpool this afternoon 🙈 I haven't heard from AECC, I think they're waiting on predicted grades.
How did your interview go if you've had it 🙂??

i got an offer from sheffield as well! And i have both liverpool and birmingham city interviews coming up in feb. But i haven’t heard from cardiff or AECC. !
i got an offer from sheffield as well! And i have both liverpool and birmingham city interviews coming up in feb. But i haven’t heard from cardiff or AECC. !

Well good luck on your upcoming interviews 🙂

Hi again 🙂

I have an interview with AECC Friday 26th, so I hope you've heard from them too!

Also hope your interviews with Liverpool and BCU have gone well 🙂

I have 3 offers now, Sheffield Hallam, Liverpool and Hertfordshire.

Awaiting on an available interview date from St. Georges and then the hard decision making begins 🙈

Do you have your heart set on one of your unis?
Reply 13
Hi again 🙂

I have an interview with AECC Friday 26th, so I hope you've heard from them too!

Also hope your interviews with Liverpool and BCU have gone well 🙂

I have 3 offers now, Sheffield Hallam, Liverpool and Hertfordshire.

Awaiting on an available interview date from St. Georges and then the hard decision making begins 🙈

Do you have your heart set on one of your unis?

Hi! Yeah i heard back and got interviews for all the unis, i’m waiting on results from Liverpool and birmingham, but they should be coming in soon. I’ve got AECC on Wednesday and also Cardiff on the same day.

At the moment Sheffield is the top because it’s the best uni for the course in the country. But i’m not sure because cardiff offers free tuition so if i get an offer from them it might sway me that way. So i’m not sure!!!!

What about you? Where’s your favourite?
But i’m not sure because cardiff offers free tuition so if i get an offer from them it might sway me that way. So i’m not sure!!!!

I could be wrong, but isn't that free tuition dependant upon you then working in Wales for 3 or 5 years after graduation?

If you have any questions about the course at SHU feel free to ask (1st yr RONC student)
Reply 15
Well good luck on your upcoming interviews 🙂

I’ve got some interviews coming up for radiotherapy also, how are you preparing/what sort of things did they ask in your previous interviews? I’m a nervous wreck!!
Reply 16
Original post by smn98
I’ve got some interviews coming up for radiotherapy also, how are you preparing/what sort of things did they ask in your previous interviews? I’m a nervous wreck!!

In all of mine i’ve been asked why radiotherapy and why that university. I’ve also been asked the difference between diagnostic and therapeutic. What kind of preparation i’ve done for that course.
Also some interviews give questions you wouldn’t even think to prepare for, in one of mine i had “name a person in history or now that has inspired you” And my mind just went completely blank lol.
I’ve also had a couple of situational questions, so they give you a situation and you have to say what you’d do.
Sorry thats all over the place, hope it makes sense!Try not to worry to much and Good luck :smile:
Hi! Yeah i heard back and got interviews for all the unis, i’m waiting on results from Liverpool and birmingham, but they should be coming in soon. I’ve got AECC on Wednesday and also Cardiff on the same day.

At the moment Sheffield is the top because it’s the best uni for the course in the country. But i’m not sure because cardiff offers free tuition so if i get an offer from them it might sway me that way. So i’m not sure!!!!

What about you? Where’s your favourite?

Oh that's great! I'm sure you'll get offers and do well on your interviews 🙂

I know what you mean about Sheffield, definitely a great course to go on. Oh wow free tuition fees, I think I'd be swayed by that too tbh if it's true 🙈

I'm stuck between Sheffield and Liverpool at the moment, I think there's big pros for both courses for me, so I've got a very difficult decision ahead of me 🙈

But again fingers crossed for the interviews 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Original post by smn98

Similar to what @annakelly has already said, I would recommend just getting a concise definition of what Radiotherapy is as that will come up in the interview. The NHS values - write them in a list and think about how you have experience in either work or education settings of all of these. There is a great resource with a simulation of a day as a therapeutic Radiographer online, they may ask you a patient based scenario question (nothing too difficult).

A list of good qualities of a team/example of effective teamwork and if not effective how you think it could be improved. You can use a work or educational example for this type of question.

Do your research on future opportunities that may interest you, whether that's advanced clinical practice or research or any other potential areas. This shows the interviewer you are ambitious and invested in this career.

Sign up to Action Radiotherapy for the latest news, as you may be asked about 'contemporary issues', so you could mention the lack of funding and outdated machinery in some departments, the staff shortages, the impact covid has had on cancer diagnoses etc...

Generally I would say make a lot of notes, ask yourself your why? Why therapeutic Radiography in particular as opposed to another AHP role.

In the interview they are looking for a student who shows an interest in the subject, as well as someone who has the appropriate 'soft skills' to become a therapeutic Radiographer.

Finally it helps if you have a particular reason for wanting to study at the university you're applying for, so it could be teaching quality, course structure, internationally recognised research, varied placement settings etc... Also have some questions ready at the end even if it's just one, but make sure it's not a forced question.

Do not worry at all 🙂 they are just seeing if you have the right skills for the course, which I'm sure you will have. The best advice is just, research, research, research! Best of luck 🤞🏻🙂
Just to add to that, follow Jo Macnamara (course lead at SHU) on twitter. She posts tons and tons of info about radiotherapy on there

https://twitter.com/SHURadiotherapy

Quick Reply

Latest