The Student Room Group

I don’t understand

I don’t want to offend anyone but, I know BLM and I know that you can’t oppress the oppressor but, it’s hard. Because of my anxiety I get worked up a lot and being white I have basically been born to be labelled “trash” or “waste of life” and I know maybe I’m just being stupid but it hurts, more that it should. I just want to live life without anyone fighting or anyone being hurt but, then again I’m not allowed to think that because I’m white. Privileged waste of life person who should feel upset or depressed because I’m white and I have it easy. But, I don’t. I have lived with anxiety and I have had moments where I’ve felt worthless and wanted to give up, I’ve been through some moments which have been engraved in my mind, I’ve also been pushed and forced to do things that I don’t want to do. I just want to feel like me being white maybe isn’t a bad thing. Cause all I see is that we are stupid and evil. And I have lived up with that thought in mind.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It really should be all lives matter. Everyone’s unique in their own ways but it’s not easy to change a whole society’s mindset.
Original post by WhoAmI0033
I don’t want to offend anyone but, I know BLM and I know that you can’t oppress the oppressor but, it’s hard. Because of my anxiety I get worked up a lot and being white I have basically been born to be labelled “trash” or “waste of life” and I know maybe I’m just being stupid but it hurts, more that it should. I just want to live life without anyone fighting or anyone being hurt but, then again I’m not allowed to think that because I’m white. Privileged waste of life person who should feel upset or depressed because I’m white and I have it easy. But, I don’t. I have lived with anxiety and I have had moments where I’ve felt worthless and wanted to give up, I’ve been through some moments which have been engraved in my mind, I’ve also been pushed and forced to do things that I don’t want to do. I just want to feel like me being white maybe isn’t a bad thing. Cause all I see is that we are stupid and evil. And I have lived up with that thought in mind.

Have you got really radical left wing parents or something? It genuinely sounds like you've been psychologically abused.
Reply 3
Original post by Starship Trooper
Have you got really radical left wing parents or something? It genuinely sounds like you've been psychologically abused.

I think they said that they were in the middle, rather than right or left. But, I have divorced parents and then a stepdad, he says all sort of jokes and stuff which are a bit bad.
Because of my anxiety I tend to go to the internet for support or for a distraction from daily disturbing thoughts.
To be honest, I’ve been the type to not really talk to others about my feelings which doesn’t really help as I keep them bottled up, and things that people say/ do or things that I see on the internet can easily trigger my anxiety and thoughts.
(Edit: I’ve had my fair share of people making me feel like I am always doing wrong, like with my ex when I broke up with him due to peer-pressure; he kept going at it and saying “why!” And “am I not good enough!” Also “Please I’m sorry I won’t do it again” I had told him why before but he kept at it. It made me beat myself up because I didn’t want to hurt him but, I couldn’t stay with him cause I would be lying to him and myself about my feelings. Not only that but, my old neighbours daughter around the same age as me kept asking me to sleep round- and when I’d say no she went silent and stopped talking to me until I said yes. Is that like physiological abuse?
(edited 3 years ago)

I'm not sure who has told you that you're trash or a waste of life because you're white, but they're both wrong and racist for saying so.

If you are having issues with anxiety I would recommend contacting your GP or local mental health service as soon as possible.
I think they said that they were in the middle, rather than right or left. But, I have divorced parents and then a stepdad, he says all sort of jokes and stuff which are a bit bad.
Because of my anxiety I tend to go to the internet for support or for a distraction from daily disturbing thoughts.
To be honest, I’ve been the type to not really talk to others about my feelings which doesn’t really help as I keep them bottled up, and things that people say/ do or things that I see on the internet can easily trigger my anxiety and thoughts.
(Edit: I’ve had my fair share of people making me feel like I am always doing wrong, like with my ex when I broke up with him due to peer-pressure; he kept going at it and saying “why!” And “am I not good enough!” Also “Please I’m sorry I won’t do it again” I had told him why before but he kept at it. It made me beat myself up because I didn’t want to hurt him but, I couldn’t stay with him cause I would be lying to him and myself about my feelings. Not only that but, my old neighbours daughter around the same age as me kept asking me to sleep round- and when I’d say no she went silent and stopped talking to me until I said yes. Is that like physiological abuse?

Are you a boy or a girl?
Is your stepdad non white?
Reply 6
Are you a boy or a girl?
Is your stepdad non white?

I’m a girl and my step-dad is white
I’m a girl and my step-dad is white

Oh ok. Basically what Shsllowvale said.

In any case being white is awesome and you shouldn't be ashamed of it. You should be proud of your heritage.
this is called white fragility. an attack on "whiteness" (as in the academic concept) is not a personal attack on you. you can acknowledge that you benefit from certain privileges as a white person without seeing it as a personal moral failing. It also kinda seems like a misdirected mental health issue, if you want, try to talk to someone about getting therapy.
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
this is called white fragility. an attack on "whiteness" (as in the academic concept) is not a personal attack on you.

Sure it isn't 🙄

If it was any other race it would be condemned as Hate Speech- That's what real fragility looks like: needing the law to stop people criticizing you.
Reply 10
this is called white fragility.

No such thing. A made up term by a 3rd rate academic that certain quarters have latched on to to validate their perversely false narrative.
an attack on "whiteness" (as in the academic concept) is not a personal attack on you. you can acknowledge that you benefit from certain privileges as a white person without seeing it as a personal moral failing.

True but given those who use the term are explicitly using it as an attack on people simply for being white it would seem this attempt to excuse an expressly racist term (imagine if someone said black fragility - theyd immediately be branded worse than hitler) which, aside from being risible in how little it relies on facts seems overly purile. Just because someone happens to be white does not give them any innate benefits in life - look at all those white homeless addicts. They dont seem to be particularly 'priviliged' due to a melanin level.
Sure it isn't 🙄

If it was any other race it would be condemned as Hate Speech- That's what real fragility looks like: needing the law to stop people criticizing you.

do you know what whiteness means?
Original post by Napp
No such thing. A made up term by a 3rd rate academic that certain quarters have latched on to to validate their perversely false narrative.

True but given those who use the term are explicitly using it as an attack on people simply for being white it would seem this attempt to excuse an expressly racist term (imagine if someone said black fragility - theyd immediately be branded worse than hitler) which, aside from being risible in how little it relies on facts seems overly purile. Just because someone happens to be white does not give them any innate benefits in life - look at all those white homeless addicts. They dont seem to be particularly 'priviliged' due to a melanin level.

do you know what whiteness is?

this argument? again? i thought you were better than this. White privilege does not mean you don't struggle it just means your struggles aren't related to your race.
Reply 13
being white I have basically been born to be labelled “trash” or “waste of life”

You may have had a beautifully constructed argument, but as you started with this, I'll never know.
Reply 14
this is called white fragility. an attack on "whiteness" (as in the academic concept) is not a personal attack on you. you can acknowledge that you benefit from certain privileges as a white person without seeing it as a personal moral failing. It also kinda seems like a misdirected mental health issue, if you want, try to talk to someone about getting therapy.

Indeed. I fully appreciate the advantages I have had from being white, but that doesn't mean that I think there is anything wrong or shameful in being white. It's only a problem when people try to pretend that being white is somehow a disadvantage these days. Bloody snowflakes.
Original post by QE2
Indeed. I fully appreciate the advantages I have had from being white, but that doesn't mean that I think there is anything wrong or shameful in being white. It's only a problem when people try to pretend that being white is somehow a disadvantage these days. Bloody snowflakes.

wait, what's the video? I'm american and I don't have a vpn.

Advocating racial discrimination then telling others they shouldn't feel offended by it :facepalm2:

Why are the "anti-racists" always the most racist?
do you know what whiteness means?

What is whiteness other than the state of being white?
this is called white fragility.

No, it's called deliberately framing an argument in terms designed to upset people, and then blaming them for it. It's perfectly possible to discuss race without using these recently invented terms.
Original post by -Imperator-
No, it's called deliberately framing an argument in terms designed to upset people, and then blaming them for it. It's perfectly possible to discuss race without using these recently invented terms.

I'm sorry you think that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending