The Student Room Group

SKEs and ITT

So, I think that my question and situation may be unique. Has anyone got any experience of gaining a teacher training place in a subject that isn’t what their degree is in? My degree is English language and literature. When I applied to university, I was between choosing English or maths, picking the former. My passion and aim was always to teach in high schools, for various reasons, but the main is that it is my passion to teach and to help children. I love both subjects and very confident in both. I don’t have the A level in maths, however, I did a foundation year at university prior to moving on to my full degree. My understanding is that foundation years are equivalent to A level and within the foundation year I had a maths module. I did extremely well in this module, actually getting a higher grade in this than any of my other modules, including English! Now I am deciding which route to choose for my ITT. I am wondering if a foundation year and the study of maths in this, would be enough, alongside a SKE, to be accepted. Also, if I was able to be accepted and completed my PGCE and QTS, would I in the future be able to teach English? As my understanding is that your QTS is just that, not QTS in the subject. Any help would be appreciated.
You need to talk to ITT providers about whether they would accept you with your qualifications. But tbh you will probably find a provider to take you!

If you want to teach English in the future, you should just do a PGCE in English, though. Schools are desperately short of people qualified to teach maths, so if you have a maths background, it is likely that even if they employ you to teach English, you will end up teaching some maths.

It's also very hard to get through the PGCE when your heart isn't in the subject you're training in.

I understand the big bursaries for maths are tempting, but if it's not what you want to do long term, it's not worth it, in my opinion.
Original post by Rachgriffs
So, I think that my question and situation may be unique. Has anyone got any experience of gaining a teacher training place in a subject that isn’t what their degree is in? My degree is English language and literature. When I applied to university, I was between choosing English or maths, picking the former. My passion and aim was always to teach in high schools, for various reasons, but the main is that it is my passion to teach and to help children. I love both subjects and very confident in both. I don’t have the A level in maths, however, I did a foundation year at university prior to moving on to my full degree. My understanding is that foundation years are equivalent to A level and within the foundation year I had a maths module. I did extremely well in this module, actually getting a higher grade in this than any of my other modules, including English! Now I am deciding which route to choose for my ITT. I am wondering if a foundation year and the study of maths in this, would be enough, alongside a SKE, to be accepted. Also, if I was able to be accepted and completed my PGCE and QTS, would I in the future be able to teach English? As my understanding is that your QTS is just that, not QTS in the subject. Any help would be appreciated.

If you apply for 2022, you could always do an A-level in maths (maybe further maths too, if you want to really enhance your subject knowledge).
Reply 3
Original post by bluebeetle
If you apply for 2022, you could always do an A-level in maths (maybe further maths too, if you want to really enhance your subject knowledge).

2022 is when I am applying anyway. I am currently year 2.
I couldn’t afford the cost of doing an A Level in maths, or taking a year out to do so.
I work 3 days a week alongside my degree and have two children. I will have to drop work when I start my ITT, but no way could I afford sitting A Level maths and taking a year out. I’m already an older student, I couldn’t delay any longer
2022 is when I am applying anyway. I am currently year 2.
I couldn’t afford the cost of doing an A Level in maths, or taking a year out to do so.
I work 3 days a week alongside my degree and have two children. I will have to drop work when I start my ITT, but no way could I afford sitting A Level maths and taking a year out. I’m already an older student, I couldn’t delay any longer

I think you may be better suited to English teaching then. Or at least, you can do your training as an English teacher, and then maybe down the line if you really are more interested in maths, you could look into taking some maths lessons within your school and slowly making the move?
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You need to talk to ITT providers about whether they would accept you with your qualifications. But tbh you will probably find a provider to take you!

If you want to teach English in the future, you should just do a PGCE in English, though. Schools are desperately short of people qualified to teach maths, so if you have a maths background, it is likely that even if they employ you to teach English, you will end up teaching some maths.

It's also very hard to get through the PGCE when your heart isn't in the subject you're training in.

I understand the big bursaries for maths are tempting, but if it's not what you want to do long term, it's not worth it, in my opinion.

I actually really love both subjects, English and maths. I came close to applying to do my degree in maths and was close to then transferring my pathways after my foundation year.
I know there is a huge shortage of maths teachers and I would stick with teaching it for certainly the first few years after qualifying, if I did get on to the ITT, I am just thinking long term, could I go back to English?
So yeah, both are subjects that I would enjoy, be passionate about and be happy to teach and be confident in.
I actually really love both subjects, English and maths. I came close to applying to do my degree in maths and was close to then transferring my pathways after my foundation year.
I know there is a huge shortage of maths teachers and I would stick with teaching it for certainly the first few years after qualifying, if I did get on to the ITT, I am just thinking long term, could I go back to English?
So yeah, both are subjects that I would enjoy, be passionate about and be happy to teach and be confident in.

Theoretically, you could teach English. In practice, it might be tricky to find a school that would allow you to do this, as they'd probably rather have you teaching maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending