The Student Room Group

Gaming Monitor - Full HD v 4K. Xbox one. PS5 in upcoming months...

Hello,

I am looking to get a gaming monitor for the first time. I play on an Xbox one currently, but I am looking to buy a PS5 or an Xbox X in next few months

I play GTA, FIFA and COD Warzone.

I am looking at monitors between the size of 22-30 inch& would be playing with the screen on a desk, sat around 2-3 foot away.

I would like to know whether to get a Full HD or 4K Monitor.

Does 4K make much more of a difference . I know on TV’s it does- so this may be a silly question/post. But I am not a full time / dedicated gamer so don’t require the best. But I do want decent quality...

What would be better for me?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RRArsenal123
Hello,

I am looking to get a gaming monitor for the first time.

I play GTA, FIFA and COD Warzone.

I am looking at monitors between the size of 22-30 inch& would be playing with the screen on a desk, sat around 2-3 foot away.

I would like to know whether to get a Full HD or 4K Monitor.

Does 4K make much more of a difference . I know on TV’s it does- so this may be a silly question/post. But I am not a full time / dedicated gamer so don’t require the best. But I do want decent quality...

What would be better for me?

Important question number 1, what will you be playing games on? And if it's a PC, what's your specs?
Apologies. Currently playing on Xbox One. Will be buying a PS5 or new Xbox in the later stages of 2021
Apologies. Currently playing on Xbox One. Will be buying a PS5 or new Xbox in the later stages of 2021

For a next gen console I'd be inclined to go for a 4K model at the upper end of your size range for the best experience and yto get the most out of the new consoles. If 4K displays were prohibitively expensive still then there would be more to think about, but as I mentioned in your other thread, you can get 27" displays with good quality IPS panels for within your original budget.
Yeahhh I’ve been looking and 4K Monitors and they’re just as much as 4K Tv’s! So if that’s the case I feel as though I should get a TV due to more benefits out of it... such as... watching TV hahah.

4K monitors look to be starting at £300.

What do you mean by IPS, sorry? And is there much difference with what would be in a 4K monitor / Full hd monitor
Yeahhh I’ve been looking and 4K Monitors and they’re just as much as 4K Tv’s! So if that’s the case I feel as though I should get a TV due to more benefits out of it... such as... watching TV hahah.

4K monitors look to be starting at £300.

What do you mean by IPS, sorry? And is there much difference with what would be in a 4K monitor / Full hd monitor

More like £250, as I mentioned in your last thread.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=384002160&sort=price&page=1

4K TVs don't come this small though, getting a 4K panel at this size is what you're paying for, just as you can pay more for a 13" laptop over a similarly spec'd 15" one. By all means get a TV, it's just not going to be comfortable to play on from a distance of 3ft.

There are three main types of panel used in displays- TN, VA and IPS. TN are generally the cheapest and have some benefits for competitive gaming like low response times and ease of implementing very high refresh rates, but look the worst and have poor viewing angles. IPS panels look the best but will have higher response times and lower refresh rates at a given price tag, and VA panels fall somewhere in the middle. Since you're not pursuing a career as a professional gamer or able to get a high refresh rate 4K screen at this price, an IPS panel makes more sense than a TN or VA one.
I would want to buy it from somewhere such as curry’s / Argos. Purely cos I don’t know whether or not only shops like that can be trustworthy, as I’ve never used!
And ahh yes I understand you now. Thank you very much !!!
I would want to buy it from somewhere such as curry’s / Argos. Purely cos I don’t know whether or not only shops like that can be trustworthy, as I’ve never used!
And ahh yes I understand you now. Thank you very much !!!

That site is just a search engine for different computer parts and accessories, when you click on an item it will show you links to where you can buy it from established retailers, including Currys. For example the one I recommended to you last, the first link they show is to Currys.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dprYcf/lg-27ul500-w-270-3840x2160-60-hz-monitor-27ul500-w
Reply 8
For 4k monitors you ideally want a 32" monitor or even bigger.
The smallest the monitor the less you can notice the difference between 1080p and 4k.
Original post by adam271
The smallest the monitor the less you can notice the difference between 1080p and 4k.

While true, general consensus is that 1080p displays start exhibiting visible pixilation from 27" upwards at standard "at-desk" viewing distances. And while 27-32" is normally 1440p territory, for consoles where 1440p support is patchy (especially on the Sony side) it just makes sense to jump straight to 4K if the buyer isn't budget constrained, as is the case here.
Totally agree.
I'd also add that 1440p monitors for gaming purposes are not really worth it.
The difference between 1080p and 1440p is noticeable.
That being said, the price difference between 1440p monitors and 4k monitors is so small it is better to just go 4k.
Update -

ive gone for a hisense A7300ftuk 43INCH.
I decided to get the 4K TV as you have the option to watch TV through an aerial and it had speakers, rather than a gaming monitor which sometimes has neither
Original post by adam271
Totally agree.
I'd also add that 1440p monitors for gaming purposes are not really worth it.
The difference between 1080p and 1440p is noticeable.
That being said, the price difference between 1440p monitors and 4k monitors is so small it is better to just go 4k.

1440p still have a very important place in the PC space as the most attainable and practical combination of high refresh rate and high resolution. While 60Hz 4K monitors are now relatively comparable to 1440p monitors at the same refresh rate, panels running at 100fps+ are substantially more expensive- right now you can pick up 1440p/144Hz displays for under £300 with IPS and VA panels while IPS panels start popping up at under £350, while the absolute cheapest 4K/144Hz display I can currently find from my usual stable of retailers (or listed on PCPartPicker) is over double that at £748. They can also be run on much more attainable hardware, at least they will when 2020 GPUs are attainable in any capacity!
Update -

ive gone for a hisense A7300ftuk 43INCH.
I decided to get the 4K TV as you have the option to watch TV through an aerial and it had speakers, rather than a gaming monitor which sometimes has neither

Fair enough, enjoy :yy:
It's not just the 2020 GPUs that are unattinable! I looked at the prices of 1070 and 1080 on eBay... The prices are beyond a joke at the moment.
The 1070 USED costs more than it did new when it was released in 2017. Pretty much same with the 1080ti.

I agree with your point on 144Hz displays. That being said. I am not a big fan of them. I am more than happy with 60hz displays.
Original post by adam271
It's not just the 2020 GPUs that are unattinable! I looked at the prices of 1070 and 1080 on eBay... The prices are beyond a joke at the moment.
The 1070 USED costs more than it did new when it was released in 2017. Pretty much same with the 1080ti.

I agree with your point on 144Hz displays. That being said. I am not a big fan of them. I am more than happy with 60hz displays.

Yep, I'm in two minds between saving my old 1070 to throw into a living room PC when I upgrade the CPU/board of my main rig, or just selling it now for a profit on the £350 I paid for it four years ago!

Yeah if someone is sticking to 60Hz gaming then 4K is the more logical jump, but HFR gaming is extremely popular right now and I'd personally bet on industry moving towards 4K/120Hz becoming the new standard over the course of this new generation rather than moving towards 8K/60.
Original post by adam271

Id say its subjective tbh.

1080p content looks rubbish on 4k laptops and worse on monitor. 1440p vs 4k on a laptop is slight differences but very noticeable on 27 inches
prettymuch 4k120hz and 1080/240hz I see the future standards. If the rumoured jumps in performance re: RTX40 / Zen4 are true, as well as manufacturers going to a 3nm (maybe smaller) process over the years, I wouldnt be surprised if by 2026 (when sony has confirmed is when they are likely to release a new platform...if they are still around) we have 8k144hz with RT/ other technologies racing /fps games on new consoles / standard for new desktop gaming rigs
(edited 3 years ago)
240hz?
Isnt it true that some people cant even notice the different between 120hz and 60hz?
This is a good article about it https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/how-many-frames-per-second-can-the-human-eye-really-see/

Its pretty deep but from what I can gather at 240hz you can not really tell the difference. But at the same time it 'feels' more like real life motion if that makes sense.

Although this is an interesting article on the subject as well.
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep07861 - humans perceive visual flicker artifacts at rates over 500 Hz when a display includes high frequency spatial edges
Original post by adam271
240hz?
Isnt it true that some people cant even notice the different between 120hz and 60hz?
This is a good article about it https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/how-many-frames-per-second-can-the-human-eye-really-see/

Its pretty deep but from what I can gather at 240hz you can not really tell the difference. But at the same time it 'feels' more like real life motion if that makes sense.

Although this is an interesting article on the subject as well.
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep07861 - humans perceive visual flicker artifacts at rates over 500 Hz when a display includes high frequency spatial edges

While the majority of "research" and tests I've seen done on the subject points to almost everyone being able to see a perceptible difference up until the low hundreds (arguably why 120/144Hz have settled as the "main" high frame rate options), I also don't think there's any possibility that 200+ Hz ever becomes a mainstream frame rate. 1080p will follow 720p into the graveyard of old standards long before 240Hz has a chance to become more than a niche platform used any wider than those pursuing high level competitive eSports.

Quick Reply

Latest