The Student Room Group

GCSE science spec

Hi guys, so I am in Year 9 right now, and have just started to look at the AQA GCSE specification, I have just read the spec on cell-biology topic , I have compared it to my previous notes from cgp book and freesciencelessons and half of the stuff I wrote down is not in the specification.

My question is that if I write in bullet points everything the spec says and learn it of by heart, is that going to get me a Grade 9 +exam questions
Now that I have read the spec I think half of my notes are uncessary
Original post by og-icon
Hi guys, so I am in Year 9 right now, and have just started to look at the AQA GCSE specification, I have just read the spec on cell-biology topic , I have compared it to my previous notes from cgp book and freesciencelessons and half of the stuff I wrote down is not in the specification.

My question is that if I write in bullet points everything the spec says and learn it of by heart, is that going to get me a Grade 9 +exam questions
Now that I have read the spec I think half of my notes are uncessary

Hello, from what I have previously learned from GCSE science, basic notes is a great way of remembering information, and definitions just like, how you write stuff in bullet points however from previous experience, it will not likely give you a grade 9, just by remembering basic content. You need to go deeper and start working on long answer questions (5marks - 6marks) because those are worth grade 9, in GCSE biology they will likely give you unfamiliar information (experemiments etc..). You must familiarise yourself with these types of long questions and work on exam techniques; such as command words (evaluate, compare, explain, define and more), to get higher marks, and knowing how to model your answer, which will give you the top grades.
Reply 2
I'm confused - are you comparing your year 9 stuff with GSCE level stuff? Or are you doing GCSE material already?
It's not really comparable, and if your teacher is giving you stuff to learn as a year 9 you should revise it, even if it's not in the spec for GCSE. Also, learning the spec by heart does not get you a 9, if you want one of those you need to do exam practice questions - a LOT of them. Like anything you can get your hands on. The big marks in GCSE and A Level to be honest are going to be in application - using your knowledge and applying it to a situation you haven't learnt before. The only way you can get round this is learning the exam technique and how you want to answer
Reply 3
Original post by ziggy03
I'm confused - are you comparing your year 9 stuff with GSCE level stuff? Or are you doing GCSE material already?
It's not really comparable, and if your teacher is giving you stuff to learn as a year 9 you should revise it, even if it's not in the spec for GCSE. Also, learning the spec by heart does not get you a 9, if you want one of those you need to do exam practice questions - a LOT of them. Like anything you can get your hands on. The big marks in GCSE and A Level to be honest are going to be in application - using your knowledge and applying it to a situation you haven't learnt before. The only way you can get round this is learning the exam technique and how you want to answer

Oh thanks! I am trying to get my GCSE material ready in Year 9, e.g. we have done topic 1 for bio, chem I have made all the notes and flashcards for bio and am on making flashcards for chemistry as i have already made the noes . I have not noted down exam questions as 2 days before my test i do all the exam questions from my laptop from different sources
Reply 4
Original post by og-icon
Oh thanks! I am trying to get my GCSE material ready in Year 9, e.g. we have done topic 1 for bio, chem I have made all the notes and flashcards for bio and am on making flashcards for chemistry as i have already made the noes . I have not noted down exam questions as 2 days before my test i do all the exam questions from my laptop from different sources

just make sure if you're not learning gcse stuff with your teacher, the things on the topic tests are going to be different thank for ks3 material. I do bio an chem a level and I've found making notes from a textbook to be a complete waste of time. scientifically, it's not the best way for revision for maximum knowledge retention.

case in point: year 12 I only revised from textbooks and made notes. My grades were not consistent. it ranged from As to mainly Bs and Cs. Year 13 I changed tactic. For bio i decided to do nothing but practice questions and I've gotten an A in every single topic test and exam I've done. Without fail. Do remember that at the end of the day exam practice questions is the only method of revision which prepares you for what the actual thing will be like. You most certainly will not be tested on your note taking abilities and fact recall is only ever worth one or two marks. I cannot stress enough how important applied knowledge is at gcse and a level. ks3 doesn't prepare you for this at all.
Reply 5
Original post by ziggy03
just make sure if you're not learning gcse stuff with your teacher, the things on the topic tests are going to be different thank for ks3 material. I do bio an chem a level and I've found making notes from a textbook to be a complete waste of time. scientifically, it's not the best way for revision for maximum knowledge retention.

case in point: year 12 I only revised from textbooks and made notes. My grades were not consistent. it ranged from As to mainly Bs and Cs. Year 13 I changed tactic. For bio i decided to do nothing but practice questions and I've gotten an A in every single topic test and exam I've done. Without fail. Do remember that at the end of the day exam practice questions is the only method of revision which prepares you for what the actual thing will be like. You most certainly will not be tested on your note taking abilities and fact recall is only ever worth one or two marks. I cannot stress enough how important applied knowledge is at gcse and a level. ks3 doesn't prepare you for this at a

Ok so I am going to change my exam tactic, I am going to continue making notes and will try to learn all the basics but will focus on practise questions more, any useful webistes?
Reply 6
Original post by og-icon
Ok so I am going to change my exam tactic, I am going to continue making notes and will try to learn all the basics but will focus on practise questions more, any useful webistes?

yeah for science mathsmadeeasy and phyicsandmathstutor have so many practice questions it's unreal.
Use Brainscape flashcards - THEY ARE AMAZING
USE my discount code: LEARN02VF

Flashcards an amazing form of revision, but they can be made even better with spaced repetition.

Space repetition basically, spaces different aspects of the content you have for your revision over time, so it stays in your long-term memory.

It has been proven that spaced repetition is a vital factor to retain information in your cognitive memory

Brainscape uses both spaced repetition and flashcards. It also challenges the weakest areas of your knowledge as difficult concepts are studied more frequently than the easier ones.

Before Brainscape I was getting 6s in triple science, history and RE. With Brainscape I've been able to get all 9s apart from in English and Spanish. And these are just mock results!

The only downside is that Brainscape is a bit pricy with subscription prices of £7.05 per month, £42.42 per year, £29.59 per 6 months and £91.70 for a lifetime.

BUT, if you use my discount code LEARN02VF you get 20% off

Also if you are studying GCSE triple science aqa 9-1 and studying Edexcel history (American west, Elizabeth and Weimar), here's a link to my profile where you can study these cards:

https://www.brainscape.com/profiles/5241617

Quick Reply

Latest