The Student Room Group

Isaac Physics 'Implicit Differentiation 2'

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/implicit_differentiation2?board=17440f22-1194-4ad0-93b9-7215847615b0

I understood Implicit Differentiation for when you just had an equation in terms of, for instance, x and y, but this stuff I don't get.

Could someone explain to me how'd you approach RT when evaluating it for d/dV. Would it be T*dR/dV ?? I am confused.

Scroll to see replies

I don’t even do physics but I think I know this

Just simply expand and differentiate

T is a constant
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I don’t even do physics but I think I know this

Just simply expand and differentiate

T is a constant so it’ll be just R on the right

This is an implicit differentiation question, read up on the concept and you'll see that it isn't just the normal kind of differentiation you'd do in Year 12.
Original post by domm1
This is an implicit differentiation question, read up on the concept and you'll see that it isn't just the normal kind of differentiation you'd do in Year 12.

Yes, I’m not in year 12.

Implicit differentiate it, expand brackets, then use R as a constant on the right.
Reply 4
Yes, I’m not in year 12.

Implicit differentiate it, expand brackets, then use R as a constant on the right.

But I thought that I'd be evaluating d/dV for each term, so for RT it would be 'd/dV*RT' which is that same as saying dRT/dV, but we're evaluating w.r.t V not R so what do I do? Apologies that my attempt to explain my confusion is all over the place.
Original post by domm1
But I thought that I'd be evaluating d/dV for each term, so for RT it would be 'd/dV*RT' which is that same as saying dRT/dV, but we're evaluating w.r.t V not R so what do I do? Apologies that my attempt to explain my confusion is all over the place.

Are you doing part B?
Reply 6
Are you doing part B?

Part A.
Original post by domm1
Part A.

Write out what you think it is
Reply 8
Write out what you think it is

I am quite clueless on this question so I'm really not sure, hence why I put this post out.
Reply 9
Original post by domm1
I am quite clueless on this question so I'm really not sure, hence why I put this post out.

It's not the entire expression which confuses me when differentiating, but certain terms, such as RT and -pb. How would you differentiate those terms w.r.t V? This is where my confusion lies.
Reply 10
Original post by domm1
It's not the entire expression which confuses me when differentiating, but certain terms, such as RT and -pb. How would you differentiate those terms w.r.t V? This is where my confusion lies.

When differentiating -pb w.r.t V you would use the product rule, such that d(-pb)/dV = -p*db/dV + b*d(-p)/dV , right?
Original post by domm1

Taking a wild guess, use product rule
Original post by domm1
When differentiating -pb w.r.t V you would use the product rule, such that d(-pb)/dV = -p*db/dV + b*d(-p)/dV , right?

I’d say that.

I think R would just be R
Original post by domm1

Yes, although it would be *way* less confusing to look at - d(pb)/dV
Reply 14
Original post by DFranklin
Yes, although it would be *way* less confusing to look at - d(pb)/dV

So if I were to evaluate each term I should get: (?)

d/dV*RT = T (from advice from CaptainDuckie)

d/dV*pV = p

d/dV*aV^-1 = -aV^-2

-d/dV*pb = -(p*db/dV + b*dp/dV)

-d/dV *abV^-2 = 2abV^-3 ?
Original post by domm1

From what I recall of physics, R is just a constant, so if T is as well, then the entire right hand side is simply a constant.

Edit: It also gives a "correct" answer when you treat it as such.
Reply 16
Original post by ghostwalker
From what I recall of physics, R is just a constant, so if T is as well, then the entire right hand side is simply a constant.

Edit: It also gives a "correct" answer when you treat it as such.

I didn't think R was a constant?
Original post by domm1
I didn't think R was a constant?

OK. Not sure what you're expecting in response.
Original post by domm1
So if I were to evaluate each term I should get: (?)

d/dV*RT = T (from advice from CaptainDuckie)

d/dV*pV = p

d/dV*aV^-1 = -aV^-2

-d/dV*pb = -(p*db/dV + b*dp/dV)

-d/dV *abV^-2 = 2abV^-3 ?

Wait, re reading this, I think @ghostwalker is saying that the right hand would be 0

Because its just like saying two constants multiplied by each other would differentiate to 0
I think I got it
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest