The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of year 13?

I am not doing well in sixth form right now. My school has really damaged my mental health to the point where I don’t even attend online lessons. With the rumours that schools are going in again soon, I need help making a decision as I know I won’t do well going back. Help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Tiap2612
I am not doing well in sixth form right now. My school has really damaged my mental health to the point where I don’t even attend online lessons. With the rumours that schools are going in again soon, I need help making a decision as I know I won’t do well going back. Help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello, that is so sad to hear about your mental health, Well you could drop out of a levels and do a apprencetship on something you like, i would say drop out if you think your going to mess up going back, it is not worth it going back, try doing something you like as conidering your not attending online classes or doing any work, no point doing your A levels as your behind and if you stay and go back to school, your mental health will probably worse after seeing the workload and what you missed
Reply 2
Original post by og-icon
Hello, that is so sad to hear about your mental health, Well you could drop out of a levels and do a apprencetship on something you like, i would say drop out if you think your going to mess up going back, it is not worth it going back, try doing something you like as conidering your not attending online classes or doing any work, no point doing your A levels as your behind and if you stay and go back to school, your mental health will probably worse after seeing the workload and what you missed

i agree, if it is causing serious health issues then there is no point... i would suggest looking for apprenticeships and i would try to keep an eye out for you too if you want - just tell me the field or career. for you mental health i suggest speaking to someone you trust or talk to someone you know would have your back.

but i suggest apprenticeship
i hope you feel better

:h:
I also agree with the above. Don't worry about going back as it's not worth your mental health.
Have a look at apprenticeships as jobs are hard to find at the moment, or look at changing courses. What are you interested in, how do you work best?
Also regarding your mental health, your GP service are there to help you and can put you forward to speak to a therapist free of charge and for as long or little as you need. Also contacting career advise will help massively.

It's a difficult time at the moment, especially if you're unsure what you want to do in the future (I've been there) but I promise it will work out :smile:
I think wait till we know what’s happening with exams. If they’ll give us some kind of cags then stay in school as there’s only technically 4 weeks left.
Reply 5
i agree with the above, give it time and try to attend the lessons and don't pay attention to any comments but keep a look out for apprenticeships and do research on what you want and that is bound to keep you occupied

:smile:
Reply 6
i mean i currently study in year 12 and i still find it difficult to keep up with the work load so give it time and meanwhile stay as positive as you can

:smile:
No do not. Unless you want to go do some Access to Higher Education diploma, which is hard too btw

Apprenticeships are ok but very hard to get a decent one.

My mental health is pretty bad but I would rather continue in education, I don't want to be unemployed
No no no no no. You see man, while MH is a very important thing to tend to, you need to watch out for your wider life - so dropping out now could damage you for a few years. Be mindful of your options and don't do anything impulsive. While making mistakes at this age is generally the norm, and most people recover from their mistakes, it's also very important to go the secure route and secure yourself a solid foundation of qualifications to fall back on. GCSE's aren't enough and an apprenticeship could be hard to find rn, however if you have one lined up then I guess it's less of a worry
Original post by V℮rsions
No no no no no. You see man, while MH is a very important thing to tend to, you need to watch out for your wider life - so dropping out now could damage you for a few years. Be mindful of your options and don't do anything impulsive. While making mistakes at this age is generally the norm, and most people recover from their mistakes, it's also very important to go the secure route and secure yourself a solid foundation of qualifications to fall back on. GCSE's aren't enough and an apprenticeship could be hard to find rn, however if you have one lined up then I guess it's less of a worry

Tbh you are right. GCSE's are not enough. You need A levels or BTEC minimum. And not everyone on this website will give you good advice. Your mental health may not get any better plus it takes years for a GP to diagnose you and give you medication. Easily 1 to 2 years. Do you want to waste 1 or 2 years doing nothing?? Just stay in sixth form
I dropped out of my last year of college, went straight into full time employment for 4 years, and then returned to education doing an Access Course when I was certain what I wanted a career in. I have never once regretted this decision because I work best surrounded by other people and gained life skills, bought a house and built my solid foundation ready to return to education and needed that extra time to know what I wanted to do. Meanwhile a few of my friends are a few years out of university not employed in a job to their degree. So..
while I agree it's good to have your foundation qualification, if you are struggling and believe you won't do well then yes it is more important to concentrate on your MH, and come out of education with a plan or a job/apprenticeship ready to start :smile:
Original post by korea&china
Tbh you are right. GCSE's are not enough. You need A levels or BTEC minimum. And not everyone on this website will give you good advice. Your mental health may not get any better plus it takes years for a GP to diagnose you and give you medication. Easily 1 to 2 years. Do you want to waste 1 or 2 years doing nothing?? Just stay in sixth form

A good friend of mine rang the GP and local mental health services and was offered therapy sessions and low dose medication within 2 weeks.
If you need the help, please do contact health services, it's what they're there for. Don't think they will ignore you or not take it seriously.

I agree being out of both education and work is a risk to your mental health so it's important you have a back up plan ready if you decide to leave education x
Original post by Charlotteh12
A good friend of mine rang the GP and local mental health services and was offered therapy sessions and low dose medication within 2 weeks.
If you need the help, please do contact health services, it's what they're there for. Don't think they will ignore you or not take it seriously.

I agree being out of both education and work is a risk to your mental health so it's important you have a back up plan ready if you decide to leave education x

Not in my experience. My sister called them GP asking for help and they said they will need time to prescribe medication and any diagnosis can take months maybe years. So if the OP has any mental condition, it will take time to be resolved. So instead of leaving education for one or two years, they might as well stay in education and do exercise and look after themselves until they get the help
Original post by korea&china
Not in my experience. My sister called them GP asking for help and they said they will need time to prescribe medication and any diagnosis can take months maybe years. So if the OP has any mental condition, it will take time to be resolved. So instead of leaving education for one or two years, they might as well stay in education and do exercise and look after themselves until they get the help

Sorry that your sister had a bad experience - not every GP is the same so hopefully if OP needed help then it would be quicker. There are other options to just taking time out such as apprenticeships and work, and always the option to return to education
i agree with all of above and would suggest not doing anything rash and to have a decent plan figured out and would definitely recommend consulting a GP
Original post by Charlotteh12
Sorry that your sister had a bad experience - not every GP is the same so hopefully if OP needed help then it would be quicker. There are other options to just taking time out such as apprenticeships and work, and always the option to return to education

They are in year 13 so it is not long left, only 4 months now. OP can get back on track academically and mentally exercise will really help, maybe buy a treadmill or gym equipment to use

Quick Reply

Latest