The Student Room Group

How do you afford uni?

Hey, I’ve been looking into how much I’ll get for a student loan and it won’t even cover my accommodation at this point. What I’m wondering is how current uni students afford to live and enjoy themselves? Do you guys have a job as well? I’m more than willing to work but in the current climate I’m just worried it’ll take me a while to get hired. Any advice would be appreciated :smile: x
Original post by Sophielaureen
Hey, I’ve been looking into how much I’ll get for a student loan and it won’t even cover my accommodation at this point. What I’m wondering is how current uni students afford to live and enjoy themselves? Do you guys have a job as well? I’m more than willing to work but in the current climate I’m just worried it’ll take me a while to get hired. Any advice would be appreciated :smile: x

Hey, what unis are you applying to/want to go to as this will determine your options?

Also, have you considered a degree apprenticeships? They are really good programmes that allow you to get a degree, have work experience (often with a guaranteed job at the end), all whilst getting paid and having your degree paid for...
If your maintenance loan will not cover your accommodation then SFE expects your parents to make up the shortfall. Getting a job would help but you would be putting quite a lot of pressure on yourself to keep earning. You can work full time in the holidays too.
some money from college/uni and some money from parents isk what im saying lol
Often students get part time jobs during uni time, but if you work all throughout summer, with your loan you might not need to work at uni. It's all about budgeting at uni, i dedicated £50 per week at uni, for food going out and anything else.

Hiya @Sophielaureen!

I have been in the same boat as you whilst at university where my student loan has not covered my rent by anywhere from £100 to £2000. Before starting uni I had a full time job over summer to save to be able to pay for rent which was very helpful. Also over the summer before uni I was madly applying to lots of jobs at my university city and it can be really stressful trying to find a job, but you will find one that suits you

I've had a job throughout my three years at uni doing anywhere from 4-16 hours a week and managed to balance my life style. I've worked as a retail assistant at two different shops and a front of house assistant at a theatre. You have to find what works best for you, and stay organised so that your prioritise your uni work/ revision, but also manage to have time to relax and chill out.

I looked on Indeed for jobs as well as shopping centres own career pages (which is how I found out about the two retail assistant jobs). You can set up alerts on Indeed to send you an email when a new job is posted, and I found this so helpful! It's difficult at the moment due to covid as a lot of student jobs involve retail/ catering. However, this doesn't mean you can't set up an alert to notify you, as places may be hiring for when shops/ cafes/ pubs open.

I have worked the past year working as a Student Ambassador, which I have loved so much! Its very well paid and flexible around my uni work. I would really recommend :smile: I found the job on my university careers page. This is a really useful source to find a job internally in the University, but also an external job in the local area, as I found jobs posted on my careers page that weren't on Indeed.

By having a part time job whilst at uni, and then getting a job over summer when not at uni it has allowed me to always cover rent and have around £60 per week for my spending (including a food shop, and going out to bars/ food/ clubs etc). In first year my uni halls rent was really expensive, in comparison to my second and third year house which meant I had to save less to be able to afford rent. You can always contact your student housing team at your university as they can offer lots of information about accommodation pricing and guide to you pick the best one:smile:

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions!

Best of luck! Sam - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hey @Sophielaureen

I had many part-time roles during my undergrad in supermarkets, tanning salons and cafes. Most students find work in retail or in hospitality :smile: Some of my roles were 12 hours a week and one of them was a zero hour contract. These were often evening/weekends so I was able to attend classes and do my uni work during the day. Make sure to take sometime out for yourself too as it can be a lot trying to balance classes/part-time job and university work. Most workplaces try and accommodate students as they know they are busy during the semester but can pick up extra shifts during the summer. Other students only have a summer job so that they can focus on their studies during term time. Try and settle in when you get to uni and see what your timetable is like and how intense your course will be. I know it's difficult in the current climate to get a job but have you looked on any job websites? I would also have a look at the opportunities your university offers as you could help out on open days :smile:

My student loan used to cover my rent and then the money I earned from my part-time job would help pay for monthly allowances such as food/petrol/clothes and any additional expenses e.g. going to bars or the cinema with friends. Like @University of Portsmouth Student Rep my halls were expensive in first year. I then lived in flats with friends from my course in my second and third year. This usually works out cheaper as you can split the rent/council tax and bills :smile:

Hope this helps!

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Babysitting and tutoring can definitely work in your favour. Also consider doing bar and pub work etc. Care companies always are in real need of more qualified experienced smart people too. Look at some different job advertisements. Pay careful and close attention to the skills needed as well.
Buff up your cv and also think of ways to prepare yourself for the workplace. Read a couple of interview preparation books in order to know what to fully expect. Make up some short notes. Contact some local firms tomorrow and get the ball rolling.
Focus on your key skills and qualities. Be sure to pick up on any hidden meaning of formal job advertisements and so on when you are thinking of applying directly for any sort of positions. Read beyond the lines of the text in other words. Take down some contact details in case you do need to phone up or email the company to try to find out a little bit more about the job that is currently up for grabs.
Look carefully at the official company site to learn some more details about their ethos and the like. Talk to a few HR people and read the relevant industry publications. Stay confident wnd remain safe however. This is the best time to make another attempt to basically up skill yourself in your preparation for the future really or see if you can win some much needed prize cash.
If I am paying around £130 p/w for rent and receiving the full student maintenance loan is that enough left over for food and other expenditure?
Original post by students118
If I am paying around £130 p/w for rent and receiving the full student maintenance loan is that enough left over for food and other expenditure?

£130 a week is quite a lot for accommodation is that the cheapest you can go for? Idk you’d have to do the math because I don’t know all of the figures. What kinda supermarkets can you shop at, Aldi, Lidl etc or is it like tesco and Sainsbury’s. All factors to consider, consider phone bill, monthly subscription like Netflix, a wash load and a try load X2 for lights and darks. Do you wanna go out clubbing etc, join societies, they’re not all free. Gotta do some research and write it all down
£130 a week is quite a lot for accommodation is that the cheapest you can go for? Idk you’d have to do the math because I don’t know all of the figures. What kinda supermarkets can you shop at, Aldi, Lidl etc or is it like tesco and Sainsbury’s. All factors to consider, consider phone bill, monthly subscription like Netflix, a wash load and a try load X2 for lights and darks. Do you wanna go out clubbing etc, join societies, they’re not all free. Gotta do some research and write it all down

I really like the look of the £130 accom and most people on my course are staying there so I don't want to feel isolated if that makes sense? I can do all my shopping at Aldi as it is just a couple mins walk away. I would be spending £5330 on rent, leaving £4158 for everything else. I wouldn't be paying any monthly subscription services. This leaves around £100 per week to cover food, washing, socials etc. Do you personally think this will be enough? I am new to this whole budgeting thing and I am not sure.
Original post by students118
I really like the look of the £130 accom and most people on my course are staying there so I don't want to feel isolated if that makes sense? I can do all my shopping at Aldi as it is just a couple mins walk away. I would be spending £5330 on rent, leaving £4158 for everything else. I wouldn't be paying any monthly subscription services. This leaves around £100 per week to cover food, washing, socials etc. Do you personally think this will be enough? I am new to this whole budgeting thing and I am not sure.

I think so!! You should be all good, that seems like more than enough to me! I moved out in the summer and budgeted £50 a week and was absolutely fine so £100 should be more than enough :smile:
I think so!! You should be all good, that seems like more than enough to me! I moved out in the summer and budgeted £50 a week and was absolutely fine so £100 should be more than enough :smile:

thanks so much for the advice, that’s been so helpful :smile:
I have a summer job this is what has funded me this year however i had nearly the max loan amount which definitely covers rent. So i live comfortably on £100 a week. My accom is £150 a week for 39 weeks
Hey,
I started Uni last September and all my maintenance loan is used up on my accommodation.I saved up a bit of money prior to going to uni working throughout summer for freshers week ( which didn’t really happen anyway cause of Covid) and then I got a part time job close to uni.
I think it’s quite unfair how the loans are worked out through your parents income as a lot of people’s parents won’t help towards the accommodation so that student is then stuck with not enough money. But yeah I’d recommend getting a part time job, try a supermarket or shop as they’re hiring quite a lot at the moment and will stay open all throughout the current pandemic. Also, to make sure it lasts you and you’re enjoying yourself be quite strict on where you shop for your food, don’t over do it with takeaways and use as many student discounts as you can. Oh and last thing after your first year once you’ve met some friends it works out sooo much cheaper to get private student accommodation or a house share!
Enjoy!!
There is an expectation on SFE’s part that parents can help out with financial costs if the loan doesn’t cover it. You can work alongside studies, but depending what course you do there is a recommendation that you don’t do anymore than 15 hours per week. It’s really up to the individual how much they can budget etc, I wasn’t very good at this and too many times splashed out on takeaways but I had a better loan so could afford to do this more. Some people take gap years before uni so they have more financial ease, there are the holidays you can work in though if you feel it would take away time from studies.
I get the minimum loan and only pretty much got money for food from my parents. I also stayed in the second most expensive accommodation at my already expensive uni. I afforded it by working during my holidays, working part-time (<12 hours a week) on campus, a couple side hustles and by being smart with my money. I actually have more money than most people because I don't really buy a lot and if I do I make sure it's a good value (not necessarily the cheapest thing). I also had a good chunk saved up (couple grand) from working during sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest