The Student Room Group

Never been in a relationship at 16. Is this weird?

Hi this might not be relevant on here but I just wanna know if I’m just overthinking. I’m 16 and in first year at college right now, I don’t have many friends and COVID has obviously restricted me from getting to know people in the new college, I’ve always been a shy person and I’m not good with making a good impression, I think most people just think I’m rude so they don’t engage with me as they think I don’t want too. I’ve never been in a relationship and boys just don’t ever message me or talk to me in public, I get stared at but I don’t want that as it’s by old creepy men or just boys looking at me as a object. I have a type but I will never approach someone on social media or in person so I just feel stuck. My family always asks me ‘are you in a relationship yet?’ And I do feel pressure to get into one as most people I know have had a relationship before or are in one right now. Is it weird to not have had a relationship at 16 nearly 17? I don’t know if I’m just ugly or it’s just my own problem🥲

Scroll to see replies

Nope. Its not weird at all... It depends on people. Well you see, your friend influence had the effect on you.
I'm pretty much older than you and never felt the need to get into a relationship nor did my friends whom I spend my time with.

You appear to be a social person but kinda shy and introvert. Believe me that doesn't matter. There shall always be people who know your worth and will stick with you no matter what.

You don't have to stress over this. You're good the way you're.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Nope. Its not weird at all... It depends on people. Well you see, your friend influence had the effect on you.
I'm pretty much older than you and never felt the need to get into a relationship nor did my friends whom I spend my time with.

You appear to be a social person but kinda shy and introvert. Believe me that doesn't matter. There shall always be people who know your worth and will stick with you no matter what.

You don't have to stress over this. You're good the way you're.

Thank you for the reply , I think it’s just society put such a pressure on being in a relationship. It even surprises me the amount of people who get surprised when I say I haven’t ever been with anyone when I think 16 is still quite young.
It worries me that I’ll never find anyone when I shouldn’t really think that way I suppose I’m still young but yeah hopefully it’ll find someone one day:smile:
I'm 18 and I have no interest in being in a relationship I want to put my dreams and aspirations first. I understand to some extent by what you mean by peer pressure, however you are young enjoy your youth years before you get old. I was also really shy but further education such as college will help you build on your confidence. Just try and participate in loads of events that get you speaking not only will it look good on your cv it will make you feel better. Even speaking to people at a bake sale can feel like a huge mini achievement.

Love isn't something you can force when the time is right it will find you xxx Don't rush into things aswell spend time building on relationships cherish little moments with loved ones

Peace out
Thank you for the reply , I think it’s just society put such a pressure on being in a relationship. It even surprises me the amount of people who get surprised when I say I haven’t ever been with anyone when I think 16 is still quite young.
It worries me that I’ll never find anyone when I shouldn’t really think that way I suppose I’m still young but yeah hopefully it’ll find someone one day:smile:

You're Welcome.
Suppose I say I'm 23 and I have never been in a relationship.
In fact people have started asking me how many kids do I have and a few ask me if I'm married.
There's no age to get into a relationship per - se but of course there are somethings we got to keep in mind.
Love isn't just about some feelings. With love comes a huge responsibility just see if we're prepared for that.
At 16 believe me, I was just worried about my admission in Oxford, clearing my A levels with the required grades. In fact I had said to mum I wouldn't be marrying until I finish my PhD.
Shocks me to see you're worried about it at 16.
Yeah my friends had those things but I never paid attention to it naturally cuz I was focused on something more important than a relationship.
You're Welcome.
In fact people have started asking me how many kids do I have and a few ask me if I'm married.
There's no age to get into a relationship per - se but of course there are somethings we got to keep in mind.
Love isn't just about some feelings. With love comes a huge responsibility just see if we're prepared for that.
At 16 believe me, I was just worried about my admission in Oxford, clearing my A levels with the required grades. In fact I had said to mum I wouldn't be marrying until I finish my PhD.
Yeah my friends had those things but I never paid attention to it naturally cuz I was focused on something more important than a relationship.

Random stranger I completely agree with what you said also well done for getting into Oxford 🥳🥳🥳
Original post by scoobiedoobiedoo
Random stranger I completely agree with what you said also well done for getting into Oxford 🥳🥳🥳

lol! I wish I would have revealed my identity but I am not okay with that cuz there are people here waiting for me to show myself... lmao.

Thanks a lot....

I hope we'll meet somewhere else on this forum with my revealed identity... lol!
i didnt even get my first kiss or date till 17 your good
Reply 8
You're Welcome.

Such sense in a world full of nonsense.
lol! I wish I would have revealed my identity but I am not okay with that cuz there are people here waiting for me to show myself... lmao.

Thanks a lot....

I hope we'll meet somewhere else on this forum with my revealed identity... lol!

Don't worry aha you're just staying safe a lot of creeps out there. I mean let me let you in on a secret I'm not actually Scooby Doo 🤭 it was nice meeting you random stranger have fun with uni exam season
Thank you for all the replies, I think I need to work on what I want and not what society wants at this point of my life. I care a lot of what people think of me and the judgement that comes with choices in life. I’m gonna try and get some sort of confidence in myself! Thank you so much it’s made me feel a lot more normal <3
Thank you for all the replies, I think I need to work on what I want and not what society wants at this point of my life. I care a lot of what people think of me and the judgement that comes with choices in life. I’m gonna try and get some sort of confidence in myself! Thank you so much it’s made me feel a lot more normal <3

That's the spirit, but listen life is too short to worry about what others thing you just live life to the fullest. Unless you're a murderer than maybe don't live life to the fullest aha. As long as you stick you head up high a stride with confidence. And of course be kind and so nice deeds everything will be well.
That's the spirit, but listen life is too short to worry about what others thing you just live life to the fullest. Unless you're a murderer than maybe don't live life to the fullest aha. As long as you stick you head up high a stride with confidence. And of course be kind and so nice deeds everything will be well.

Hahaha thank you I’ll try my hardest, I take everyday to grow out of my comfort zone as much as I can to be able to do my best. I hope life treats you well <3 you seem like a lovely person x
Hahaha thank you I’ll try my hardest, I take everyday to grow out of my comfort zone as much as I can to be able to do my best. I hope life treats you well <3 you seem like a lovely person x

Awwwww thank you so much you just made my 5:30am morning you're absolutely adorable. I hope everything goes well for you x
Don't worry aha you're just staying safe a lot of creeps out there. I mean let me let you in on a secret I'm not actually Scooby Doo 🤭 it was nice meeting you random stranger have fun with uni exam season

lol!
I'll keep that secret... thanks for trusting me.
I'm not a random stranger.. omg!

bless, we're all here to help you.
Take Care!
Original post by Scotney
Such sense in a world full of nonsense.

Lmao...
thanks for the 'compliment'
Dude, I'm 29 :cheers:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Dude, I'm 29 :cheers:

Wow really that’s crazy the age difference between us, did you ever doubt yourself for not being in a relationship throughout the years to now or does it just not bother you?
I’m 15 and I’m hecka shy I haven’t been in a real relationship with a dude yet do to being shy and not being attractive or ever approached. But I do think I’d be a good girlfriend honestly, they missing out 🤷*♀️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending