The Student Room Group

"Being offensive is an offence"

No captions is needed to describe how ****ed this is.20210222_083525.jpg

News article attached, as requested :smile:.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I see he's got a stick. Where's the carrot?
Original post by Just my opinion
I see he's got a stick. Where's the carrot?

For the police, moving up the stonewall diversity champion rankings.

For the public? Who the hell knows. Moving up the victimhood ranks.
Original post by glassalice
For the police, moving up the stonewall diversity champion rankings.

For the public? Who the hell knows. Moving up the victimhood ranks.

I think it's a pace stick rather than a walking stick. But I otherwise agree with your OP. The worst that someone purely "being offensive" should have to suffer is social exclusion.
(edited 3 years ago)
It's a hop and a skip from this to full on blasphemy laws.
Strange that a generation ago it was the left fighting against this stuff, now it's the left defending it.
While the message is simplistic it isn't entirely wrong.

Section 127 of the Communication Act 2003
A person is guilty of an offence if he—
(a)sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character; or...

Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986
(1)A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he—
(a)uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
(b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distress.

Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986
A person is guilty of an offence if he—
(a)uses threatening [F1or abusive] words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
(b)displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening [F1or abusive],within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby.

Indeed!
Can you provide a source for this, please?
Reply 7

Didn't bother to read past the headline then?
It specifically states "We will not tolerate hate crime".
"Hate crime" is an offence. Simply offending someone isn't.
You don't have the right to shout "filthy ******, I hope you die" at someone in the street, no matter how much you feel you should be able to.
Stop being so triggered.
Reply 8
It's a hop and a skip from this to full on blasphemy laws.
Strange that a generation ago it was the left fighting against this stuff, now it's the left defending it.

So you feel you should have the right to hurl homophobic or racial abuse at people in the street without fear of censure?
Good for you.
Original post by QE2
So you feel you should have the right to hurl homophobic or racial abuse at people in the street without fear of censure?
Good for you.

Without fear of legal repercussions, yes. Social censure, no. I believe only direct incitement to violence should be illegal.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hateful and offensive behaviour is not a hate crime of itself in UK law. The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 makes hateful behaviour towards a victim based on the victim's membership (or presumed membership) in a racial group or a religious group an aggravation in sentencing for specified crimes. Where, no criminal act has been committed, hateful and offensive behaviour may be be described as a hate incident, but is not a crime
Reply 11

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it is called freedom of speech. Most of the time it is better to keep them inside your head though, in order to prevent snowflakes being offended.
Original post by QE2
Didn't bother to read past the headline then?
It specifically states "We will not tolerate hate crime".
"Hate crime" is an offence. Simply offending someone isn't.
You don't have the right to shout "filthy ******, I hope you die" at someone in the street, no matter how much you feel you should be able to.
Stop being so triggered.

Simply making statements that are perceived as being offensive about a minority should not be considered a hate crime.
The example you give, should be considered a crime because it insights violence.
Original post by Diggar
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it is called freedom of speech. Most of the time it is better to keep them inside your head though, in order to prevent snowflakes being offended.

We don't have total freedom of speech, we never have and no civilised country on Earth does. We have freedom of expression which comes with a number of caveats.
(edited 3 years ago)
Simply making statements that are perceived as being offensive about a minority should not be considered a hate crime.
The example you give, should be considered a crime because it insights violence.

In your view what should be considered a hate crime?
Original post by DiddyDec
In your view what should be considered a hate crime?

Threat of OR carrying out a crime against a person or group people because of their perceived race, sexual orientation, sex...
Threat of OR carrying out a crime against a person or group people because of their perceived race, sexual orientation, sex...

You seem to be suggesting that you support the current law, obviously it is a crime to carry out a crime against someone.
Original post by DiddyDec
You seem to be suggesting that you support the current law, obviously it is a crime to carry out a crime against someone.

I don't belive that offending/ grossly offending someone should be considered a crime. I've already stated this.
I don't belive that offending/ grossly offending someone should be considered a crime. I've already stated this.

How about when it becomes harassment?

It worries me how intolerant some people can be, while at the same time genuinely believing themselves to be very tolerant people. I saw a leftie in America tweet that senators and congressmen should be harassed in the streets and outside their homes because of how they voted on something. The same person also condemns Trump supporters storming the Capitol building because that's anti democratic, intimidation etc. It's like people now think that abuse and violence is ok, but only if it comes from their side.

I was taught growing up that you can agree to disagree. You debate and you try to argue why your opinion is right but if that fails, don't be an ass and don't fall out over it. Agree to disagree and move on. Seems like that's no longer a thing?

Quick Reply