The Student Room Group

Can a 18 year old girl can marry a 26 year old man

Can a 18 year old girl can marry a 26 year old man?

Scroll to see replies

idk i don't think it's illegal if your both adults
Yes
Original post by ADarling
idk i don't think it's illegal if your both adults

Original post by Pooja46
Can a 18 year old girl can marry a 26 year old man?s

yes its legal just if your parents allow it lol
Reply 4
Why not? A 58 year old woman can marry a 66 year old man, so why would a 18 year old girl marry a 26 year old man
Obviously since the 18 year old isn’t a minor anymore? However I think they should still think about what they’re getting into because of the age gap and different mentalities and things like that

If both love each other it should be fine
Well, legally speaking yeah, obviously you can. You are both legal adults.

Conversely, the fact that you're having to ask this (for starters) has me questioning whether this is a very rational decision.
Reply 7
Original post by MMtrapzz
yes its legal just if your parents allow it lol

In the UK at least, parental permission is irrelevant once you're over 18.
Original post by Drewski
In the UK at least, parental permission is irrelevant once you're over 18.

lol for some families
Reply 9
lol for some families

Not legally, no.
Yes, in the UK it is legal to marry at 18+ i think. Its perfectly fine to do this, but what is key is making sure you give advanced notice and stuff to both families and to make sure that both sets of parents are OK with this happening. Personally it seems a bit young but love never has an age limit, so main thing is just making sure that parents and relatives consent and agree with this, and yes it is legal. If you both love each other then thats perfectly ok, just bear in mind the age gap and the possible difference in mentality, feelings, emotions, wantings etc. Hope this helps 👍
lol for some families

legally your parents or family can’t do anything though so it’s still up to the person
yes you can
because you're both adults
Original post by DanielG_07
Yes, in the UK it is legal to marry at 18+ i think. Its perfectly fine to do this, but what is key is making sure you give advanced notice and stuff to both families and to make sure that both sets of parents are OK with this happening. Personally it seems a bit young but love never has an age limit, so main thing is just making sure that parents and relatives consent and agree with this, and yes it is legal. If you both love each other then thats perfectly ok, just bear in mind the age gap and the possible difference in mentality, feelings, emotions, wantings etc. Hope this helps 👍

Families have no say or should have no say in this. My only concern for the 18 year old is whether they really understand what it means to be married, it requires a lot of sacrifices and effort. But tbh 26 year olds, 36 year olds, 46 year olds get into marriages without knowing what it actually requires of them to work. So age is irrelevant in the end, just make sure you realise what you're getting into. Both for the 18 year old and the 26 year old. Age really is just a number.
Original post by Pooja46
Can a 18 year old girl can marry a 26 year old man?

18 yo girl - adult
26 yo man - adult

Do what u want
Yes you can, but I reccomend you don’t rush into things. Unfortunately it’s not like 30 years ago where people would be respectful and aim long term, the divorce rate is almost 50% and young marriages are overwhelmingly more likely to fail. You are at massively different life stages - I’m almost 26 and sooooo different from when I was 18 - no doubt you will be too. You don’t want to be in the situation where you have nothing in common anymore or where you have outgrown him or vice versa etc. Slow and steady wins the race with respect to this issue imo - don’t just do it because he’s your first boyfriend, that would be the most naive thing and be focusing on the short term only
(edited 3 years ago)
It’s legal. But is it morally right? No I don’t think it is. I mean a few months ago you were a child and a 26 is nearing his 30s. Just my opinion.
As both are adults it's absolutely fine. So was this: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/bill-wyman-mandy-smith/ and that is quite creepy.
its legal but a bit dodge ngl..... 18 and 26 are at v different stages in life and depending on how long you've been dating its Very dodgy- if you were a minor aged 16/17 dating a 24/25 year old it doesnt rly sit right idk
At 18 she can do whatever she wants.

although I would tell every 18 year old to go live a little before making such a commitment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending