The Student Room Group

My DSA support tutor isn’t great what do I do

Hi all

I’m having some serious concerns. I have a learning difficulty. I have a tutor. And I’m so stressed with my assignment hoping for her help. She’s done nothing, she sent me back my work that was riddled with mistakes with 2 changes.

She skimmed through it and left me 1/2 suggestions. That’s really not what I expected and I’m not getting good enough support. I’ve had other tutors send me loads of critical comments and pick on my spelling. She’s not doing any of that. I’ve literally done it alone

What do I do?
When you had your first session, did she talk about the role of the tutor? Is it in any support plan that you have that your tutor should correct your work?

It’s normal to have to do your work ‘alone’ at uni. Tutors normally offer suggestions like spell checkers, text to speech, proofreading techniques, etc. I have a physical disability but I have friends with dyslexia and learning difficulties and haven’t heard of anyone getting all their work proofread.

If checking your work is in your support plan or tutoring agreement, then speak to your tutor or somebody above her in your uni’s disability services. If it’s not, speak to her to clarify what her role is.
Original post by Desideri
When you had your first session, did she talk about the role of the tutor? Is it in any support plan that you have that your tutor should correct your work?

It’s normal to have to do your work ‘alone’ at uni. Tutors normally offer suggestions like spell checkers, text to speech, proofreading techniques, etc. I have a physical disability but I have friends with dyslexia and learning difficulties and haven’t heard of anyone getting all their work proofread.

If checking your work is in your support plan or tutoring agreement, then speak to your tutor or somebody above her in your uni’s disability services. If it’s not, speak to her to clarify what her role is.

I’ve had loads of tutors this is the first time they haven’t proofread or helped with spell checking etc
Original post by paperclip90
I’ve had loads of tutors this is the first time they haven’t proofread or helped with spell checking etc

Have you told her this?

Talk to her about your expectations and listen to her expectations. If you still disagree, consider talking to somebody higher up in your uni’s disability service.
Re the spell-checking issue, can't you just use the normal one in whatever you use to write your essays etc?
Original post by Isinglass
Re the spell-checking issue, can't you just use the normal one in whatever you use to write your essays etc?

No I still make errors it doesn’t pick up on. I’m severely dyslexic
You can request a different person instead, I did once as the tutor spoke to me in a belittling way like she could teach me out of my dyslexia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending